Sometimes I want to use the old fim.

Old April 16th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Sometimes I want to use the old fim.

Bu it may be fogged. Some of my Plux-X is age-fogged.
I know it can't be eliminated, but can it be dealt with to any degree?
Would these compensations help:

1. Don't use a fresh developer. That often adds to fog by developing
every little detail.
2. Print @ grade 4 to reduce the fog effect. Depending on how bad it
is, at least.

Collin

Old April 16th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I had several expired rolls of Plus-X in both 120 and 35mm format that I
used up last year. I tried D76 1:1 and HCC 100 Dil H and Agfa Rodinal 1:50.
Hands down, the Rodinal produced far less fog, particularly noticeable in
the 120 film, where the fogging was barely noticeable. After using it, I
quit with the other developers (for the expired Plus-X).

Unfortunately, Agfa Rodinal is no longer made and would be hard to find.

- MCC

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mark Cassino Photography
Kalamazoo, MI
www.markcassino.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ps.com...

Old April 17th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Mark Cassino wrote:

Unfortunately, Agfa Rodinal is no longer made and would be hard to find.

Hmm, www.silverprint.co.uk. Look under developers.

"Back as if it never went away, now being produced by the German chemical
manufacturer a&o."

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old April 17th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Cheesehead" wrote

Some of my Plux-X is age-fogged. [what to do?']
1. Don't use a fresh developer??

Use fresh developer -- D=76 1:1 1-shot, Rodinal, etc.

Best bet is benzotriazole: 10g from B&H, 2 pints of
90%+ isopropyl alcohol.

o Disolve the 10g in a bottle of isopr. for a 2%
solution

o Pour out ~25ml out of the second bottle of
isopr. and add 25ml of the 2% in its place:
this makes a 0.1% solution. 10ml contains
10mg. of benz.

Working range is 10-100mg/l. To a 16oz
tank of developer add 2.5 - 25ml of the 0.1%.

Development times will be longer.

Old April 17th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Cheesehead" wrote in message
ps.com...
Bu it may be fogged. Some of my Plux-X is age-fogged.
I know it can't be eliminated, but can it be dealt with to
any degree?
Would these compensations help:

1. Don't use a fresh developer. That often adds to fog by
developing
every little detail.
2. Print @ grade 4 to reduce the fog effect. Depending on
how bad it
is, at least.

Collin

Uniform fog simply increases printing time and effective
speed. Increase exposure to compensate. The use of
Benzotriazole in the developer is very effective in reducing
age fog but it also reduces the speed so there may not be
much advantage. Bromide also reduces fog but generally have
more effect on film speed than Benzotriazole.
I have had success using very old Plus-X Pan sheet film
by processing in D-76 1:1 with about 2 grams of Potassium
Bromide added per liter. The film was rated at ISO-125, I
shot it at around EI-32. OTOH, I also have some Agfa Agfapan
100 of about the same age. This is so fogged that bromide
doesn't help.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 17th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Mark Cassino" wrote:

Unfortunately, Agfa Rodinal is no longer made and would be hard to find.

Not true. Production of Rodinal has now been re-started by the
company that took over the production of Agfa minilab chemicals. It
is produced in the same factory with the same people, same machines
and same ingredients.

A range of (former-)Agfa darkroom chemicals will be available, alas
their are no plans to re-start the production of Agfa Scala developer.

Old April 18th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Hey - that's great news!

I haven't been keeping current on what happened with the Agfa situation, but
I'm glad to hear Rodinal is back. I laid in a supply last fall but have been
using it sparingly - nice to know I can dip into it freely again.

Thanks for passing that along -

MCC

--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mark Cassino Photography

Old April 19th 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Mark Cassino" writes:

I haven't been keeping current on what happened with the Agfa situation, but
I'm glad to hear Rodinal is back. I laid in a supply last fall but have been
using it sparingly - nice to know I can dip into it freely again.

I knew the Agfa stuff was going away, but wasn't getting too worried
as the local photo store still has loads of Rodinal, Agefix, Agepon
and other Agfa stuff on the shelf. They even told me they have lots of
Agfapan 100 in store so no worries about that for a while, either.

Just in case, I already asked a pharmacist friend if the ingredients
needed for making Rodinal are readily available; they are.
Old April 19th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Tony Polson writes:

"Mark Cassino" wrote:

Unfortunately, Agfa Rodinal is no longer made and would be hard to find.

Not true. Production of Rodinal has now been re-started by the
company that took over the production of Agfa minilab chemicals. It
is produced in the same factory with the same people, same machines
and same ingredients.

In addition, there are several very similar alternatives. "R09" (sold by
Calbe and Foma, at least) is supposed to be an older version of the
Rodinal formula (circa WWII) and Photographer's Formulary has something as
well, but it seems to come as powdered chemicals that you mix yourself.
Along those lines, several formulas have been published for "Rodinal-like"
developers. I don't know which of these is closest to what Agfa sold as
Rodinal and that is now or will soon be sold under the A&O label, though.
Ingredients can be bought from Photographer's Formulary and other
photochemistry suppliers. A few items can be bought from other sources,
too. Something very like Rodinal can be made from acetaminophen (Tylenol),
lye, and one or two other ingredients. (Acetaminophen is chemically
related to para aminophenol, the developing agent in Rodinal; the
acetaminophen is converted into para aminophenol when these formulas are
mixed.)

In sum, Rodinal isn't gone and isn't likely to vanish any time soon, even
if A&O decides to get out of the Rodinal game. At worst, Rodinal
afficionados will need to find another source of supply or mix their own.
Those who are VERY fussy may need to experiment to find the product or
formula they like best. In the short term, supplies of Agfa Rodinal, under
the A&O brand name, seem secure.

--
Rod Smith,
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Old April 19th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Rod Smith wrote:

Something very like Rodinal can be made from acetaminophen (Tylenol),
lye, and one or two other ingredients. (Acetaminophen is chemically
related to para aminophenol, the developing agent in Rodinal; the
acetaminophen is converted into para aminophenol when these formulas are
mixed.)

If you have any pointers to these formulas please post them.

I can get the generic eqivalent of tylenol (called Akamol here) and Lye
based drain cleaner, would they do?

TIA.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/