... Canon Rebel EOS DSLR..... home fix

Old July 6th 05, 11:25 PM
David A

Default ... Canon Rebel EOS DSLR..... home fix

Earlier I posted problem with my camera, the sub mirror that controls or
works autofocus broke the little plastic spring thing on the right side as
you look at the camera from the front. The manual focus will work if I push
the mirror up, not work if its down because it block 2/3's of the sensor.

I can get a canon warrantly repair with a replacement plastic piece, or a
aftermarket repair for $175 and get a metal piece.

I am wondering, anyone ever taken this camera apart to try a home fix,
assuming I can get the part and a manual to help with dissassembly and
assembly?

You camera repair guys don't blast me with the obvious you should leave it
up the to professionals stuff. If I can't do it, fine, if its just matter of
taking your time and being carefull, maybe I can do it. $175 charge
indicates that its only a 2 or 3 hour process and a $25 dollar part
probably. And, taking it to a professonial takes 2 or 3 weeks too, I have
vacation plans in 2 weeks.

I am just asking.

Thanks david

Old July 6th 05, 11:59 PM
Grant Ashby

Hi, David,

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you - I don't own a DSLR yet - but you
may be able to help me and other potential Canon buyers. Do you think that
this broken spring is an inherent weakness that will plague this model?

Grant.

Old July 7th 05, 04:50 AM
RichA

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:59:03 GMT, "Grant Ashby"
wrote:

Hi, David,

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you - I don't own a DSLR yet - but you
may be able to help me and other potential Canon buyers. Do you think that
this broken spring is an inherent weakness that will plague this model?

Grant.

Reminds me of the plastic gear set that used to strip in the old
Pentax K1000, a sort of poor man's Olympus OM-1.
-Rich

Old July 7th 05, 06:26 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

wrote:

Hi, David,

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you - I don't own a DSLR yet - but you
may be able to help me and other potential Canon buyers. Do you think
that
this broken spring is an inherent weakness that will plague this model?

Grant.

Reminds me of the plastic gear set that used to strip in the old
Pentax K1000, a sort of poor man's Olympus OM-1.
-Rich

Hey I've got both of those hanging in my closet. ;-)

--

Rob

Old July 8th 05, 09:50 PM
Pete D

wrote:

Hi, David,

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you - I don't own a DSLR yet - but you
may be able to help me and other potential Canon buyers. Do you think
that
this broken spring is an inherent weakness that will plague this model?

Grant.

Reminds me of the plastic gear set that used to strip in the old
Pentax K1000, a sort of poor man's Olympus OM-1.
-Rich

Hey I've got both of those hanging in my closet. ;-)

I had a KM and never had the problem. :-)