Storage device for digital camera instead of buying multiple cards?

Old May 4th 05, 01:54 AM

Default Storage device for digital camera instead of buying multiple cards?

I'm looking for a device where you could store digital pictures rather
than having to buy a bunch of cards for the camera.

In other words, if you were traveling with your digital camera and did
not have a laptop at your disposal..... is there something on the
market that would allow you to pull off your digital photos from the
photo card in your camera? That way, you could keep using the same
photo card, dump your photos into the device each time the card is
full, and then pull the photos off the device once you return home.
That makes more sense to me than having to buy and bring along multiple
photo cards.

I contacted Olympia about a month ago, and they said they were on the
verge of introducing such an item. I just can't believe there isn't
already something like that out there.

Thanks.....
Mac

Old May 4th 05, 02:12 AM
Ken

wrote in message oups.com...
I'm looking for a device where you could store digital pictures rather
than having to buy a bunch of cards for the camera.

In other words, if you were traveling with your digital camera and did
not have a laptop at your disposal..... is there something on the
market that would allow you to pull off your digital photos from the
photo card in your camera? That way, you could keep using the same
photo card, dump your photos into the device each time the card is
full, and then pull the photos off the device once you return home.
That makes more sense to me than having to buy and bring along multiple
photo cards.

I contacted Olympia about a month ago, and they said they were on the
verge of introducing such an item. I just can't believe there isn't
already something like that out there.

There are literally dozens of products available that will accomplish what you ask.
Type "portable photo storage device" into google and have fun.

For a review of the offerings see -
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6501_7-5145238-1.html

Ken

Old May 4th 05, 11:18 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've purchased a portable storage unit from www.mydigitaldiscount.com.
There's quite a selection of different brands and models. One thing you may
want to consider is to have at least two memory cards. If you only have one
and it fails, the storage unit will be of no help to you at all.

Old May 4th 05, 07:26 PM
Unquestionably Confused

on 5/3/2005 8:12 PM Ken said the following:
wrote in message oups.com...

I'm looking for a device where you could store digital pictures rather
than having to buy a bunch of cards for the camera.

There are literally dozens of products available that will accomplish what you ask.
Type "portable photo storage device" into google and have fun.

For a review of the offerings see -
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6501_7-5145238-1.html

Also be sure to take a look at the Archos AV420 DVR which is a little
larger than a Palm Pilot and, in addition to being a DVR recorder, MP3
recorder/player, etc. also has a compact flash reader built in along
with an hi-res LCD screen to let you view, save and delete your jpgs.
This model holds 20 gig and sells for $425 but they also have a 100 gig
model. I bought it for the DVR function but it's nice to have the CF
reader thrown in.

Old May 4th 05, 09:21 PM
freefly freefly is offline
Junior Member

I use the Smartdisk Flashtrax at weddings. You simply insert the CF card press copy and in about 15 minutes it is all backed up to a hard drive. Has a large screen by which you can view your pics too. I wuold also recommend that you carry a few CF cards too, you can never have too much back up.

See a few items here...

http://www.all-things-photography.co...o-storage.html

All the best,

Freefly