Nikon D90 and 18-200mm lens

Old January 31st 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pawihte

Default Nikon D90 and 18-200mm lens

Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
advance. Elaborations will be welcome.

Old January 31st 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

pawihte wrote:
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
advance.

Correct.

Elaborations will be welcome.

:-)
Old January 31st 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Focus[_3_]

"pawihte" wrote in message
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with the D90?
"Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in advance.
Elaborations will be welcome.

I have given this lens some serious thought, but I decided on the 16-85
instead. Quality is more important to me than a long range. The 18-200 loses
by a landslide and costs more.
Both will work with the D90. Almost all Nikon lenses after 1990 will work
and even much older ones, some with restrictions.

--
Focus

Old January 31st 09, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"pawihte" wrote:
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with
the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in
advance. Elaborations will be welcome.

See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a very
detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
explanation about the why.

BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into the manual
or just following the standard route:
The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.

jue
Old February 1st 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:37:47 +0000, Focus wrote:

"pawihte" wrote in message
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with the D90?
"Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in advance.
Elaborations will be welcome.

I have given this lens some serious thought, but I decided on the 16-85
instead. Quality is more important to me than a long range. The 18-200 loses
by a landslide and costs more.
Both will work with the D90. Almost all Nikon lenses after 1990 will work
and even much older ones, some with restrictions.

Based on everything I have read I would agree. You would also want to
look at the Tokina 11-24? and the 70 to 200.

Still, after you have all of those you may occasionally feel lazy and
want to compromise and use an 18-200. But it would be luck to have that
prize winning opportunity and not have the best lens with you to capture
it.
Old February 1st 09, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
pawihte

Jürgen Exner wrote:
"pawihte" wrote:
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible
with
the D90? "Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks
in
advance. Elaborations will be welcome.

See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a
very
detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
explanation about the why.

BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into
the
manual or just following the standard route:
The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is
fully
compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would
require an
AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I did some checkings first and
it certainly looked as if the two are fully compatible. But all
the sources I found, including the D90 document, listed
compatibility by type (AF-S, IF and so on) and none listed
specific lens models (maybe this is impracticable). I was worried
that I might have missed something, so I thought it would be best
to get confirmation here. Thanks again.

Old February 1st 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

"pawihte" wrote in message
Is the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm VR ED IF lens fully compatible with the D90?
"Fully" meaning without any function crippled? Thanks in advance.
Elaborations will be welcome.

I have given this lens some serious thought, but I decided on the 16-85
instead. Quality is more important to me than a long range. The 18-200 loses
by a landslide and costs more.
Both will work with the D90. Almost all Nikon lenses after 1990 will work
and even much older ones, some with restrictions.

Based on everything I have read I would agree. You would also want to
look at the Tokina 11-24? and the 70 to 200.

Still, after you have all of those you may occasionally feel lazy and
want to compromise and use an 18-200. But it would be luck to have that
prize winning opportunity and not have the best lens with you to capture
it.

There's always comprimises. What if that prize winning opportunity
would best be captured at 200mm but you had your 16-85 on?

Steve
Old February 1st 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

"pawihte" wrote in message
[...]

That depends if you want to shoot sports or nature etc. But if you should
mostly street and landscapes you will catch your shot with the 16-85 on an
APC sensor body (24-122) and you would have time to change lenses if you
feel you need to.
Old February 1st 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
TheRealSteve

"pawihte" wrote in message
[...]

Here you're rationalizing. If you shoot mostly street and landscapes
then the 16-85 is also the wrong lens for you. And you're not going
to get that "prize winning" opportunity shooting streets and
landscapes that have been shot a million times before by everyone else
with a digital camera.

We're discussing do-it-all walkaround travel lenses and having a
prize-winning opportunity happen upon you. You don't know what you'll
be shooting or what it is and it's certainly within the realm of
possibilities that this once in a lifetime shot will be captured much
better at 200mm than 85mm and that if you're fumbling around changing
lenses, you'll miss it.

BTW, since you seem to like Ken Rockwell (and I'll admit he does have
some valuable info on his site) you might be interested in what he has
to say about the 16-85 vs. 18-200.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/16-...s-18-200mm.htm

The basic conclusion is that if you're shooting test charts and brick
walls or are going to print your shot at 20x30, the 16-85 would be
better. But for real world photography, it's not worth the extra cost
considering the loss of the long end.

For me, I was considering the 16-85 only because in certain situations
it has less CA than the 18-200. But that wasn't enough reason for me
to sell the 18-200 and get the 16-85. Espcially since CA is
correctable if you have that prize winning shot and newer bodies even
do it automatically.

Steve
Old February 1st 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: See http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm which not only has a very
: detailed compatibility matrix for the what but also excellent
: explanation about the why.
:
: BTW: you could have found out easily yourself by looking into the manual
: or just following the standard route:
: The lens is at least AI-P (designed after ~1989), so it is fully
: compatible, unless the camera is a D40/40x/60 which would require an
: AF-S for auto-focus, but which lens even is.

The gibbericity of that answer fully justifies the original question.

Bob (recognizing another reason to be satisfied that his cameras are Canons)