Nikon Teleconverters and the D40

Old February 1st 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steven Green[_2_]

Default Nikon Teleconverters and the D40

I am building a stock of lenses then will purchase a nice FX body later,
but I am curious about autofocus and teleconverters on the D40. I have
read that other users experienced sporatic problems with the
teleconverters on other cameras but I have not found anything definative
saying they will not work ..
Old February 1st 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steven Green[_2_]

Steven Green wrote:
I am building a stock of lenses then will purchase a nice FX body later,
but I am curious about autofocus and teleconverters on the D40. I have
read that other users experienced sporatic problems with the
teleconverters on other cameras but I have not found anything definative
saying they will not work ..

This got clipped somehow when I sent it. Having connection problems
according to error messages.

I went on to inquire if the D40 will autofocus using the following lenses.

AF-S 70-300?
AF-S 24-70 f2.8?

Any idea?

Thanks,
Steven
Old February 1st 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Steven Green
wrote:

I went on to inquire if the D40 will autofocus using the following lenses.

AF-S 70-300?
AF-S 24-70 f2.8?

all af-s lenses will autofocus on a d40.
Old February 1st 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf
Old February 1st 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Steven Green wrote:
I went on to inquire if the D40 will autofocus using the following lenses.

AF-S 70-300?
AF-S 24-70 f2.8?

Those lenses are AF-S, aren't they? What does your manual say about
AF-S? Good!

If you lost your manual you can get a new one online at
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...port/index.htm or take a
look at http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

jue
Old February 1st 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SteveG

Steven Green wrote:
Steven Green wrote:
I am building a stock of lenses then will purchase a nice FX body later,
but I am curious about autofocus and teleconverters on the D40. I have
read that other users experienced sporatic problems with the
teleconverters on other cameras but I have not found anything definative
saying they will not work ..

This got clipped somehow when I sent it. Having connection problems
according to error messages.

I went on to inquire if the D40 will autofocus using the following lenses.

AF-S 70-300?
AF-S 24-70 f2.8?

Any idea?

Thanks,
Steven

So where's the question about teleconverters?

--
Regards

Steve G
Old February 1st 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

nospam wrote:
Steven Green wrote:

I am building a stock of lenses then will purchase a nice FX body later,
but I am curious about autofocus and teleconverters on the D40. I have
read that other users experienced sporatic problems with the
teleconverters on other cameras but I have not found anything definative
saying they will not work ..
[and] went on to inquire if the D40 will autofocus using the following lenses.
AF-S 70-300?
AF-S 24-70 f2.8?

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/N...er%20Table.pdf

I see some things I disagree with on that chart. Manual focus lenses can
mount to the 14E, 14EII, etc. where they say not mountable. The two
specific lenses would not be practical to mount to any teleconverter.
Probably it could be done with an old MF converter but even then you
would lose aperture control. If used for closeup work, it could be done
but probably would look like crap, if for no other reason than the 300mm
lens is already quite slow/dark.

Teleconverters only make sense on the very long end for reasonably fast
lenses like 300mm f/4 to f/2.8 or maybe a macro prime lens like 100mm
f/2.8 as a way of getting more working distance for timid butterflies
but not so great looking for getting more magnification at extreme
closeup. Long lenses used for birding where you would need to crop
without teleconverter, that's where it makes the most sense.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 1st 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message ...

[...]
Teleconverters only make sense on the very long end for reasonably fast lenses like 300mm f/4 to f/2.8 or maybe a macro prime lens
like 100mm f/2.8 as a way of getting more working distance for timid butterflies but not so great looking for getting more
magnification at extreme closeup. Long lenses used for birding where you would need to crop without teleconverter, that's where it
makes the most sense. --
Paul Furman

I used to find adding teleconverters an excellent way to increase
magnification for extreme close-ups (along with adding front diopters,
and sometimes rear extension tubes) with using flash for the resulting
very small effective f-stops possible for getting good DOF and lens
performance. For examples, see --
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/phun.html, numbers 4, 5, 6, 9, 11,
especially (unfortunately, most of these web images date back to when
I used small CRT monitors and oversharpened the photos too much...).
--DR

Old February 1st 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
[...]

I assume you mean the bugs gallery (frames removed):
http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/bugs4.html

Extension tubes/bellows should be the preferred method unless you need
more working distance. It can be awkward to lose aperture control on a
bellows also.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old February 3rd 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2009-02-01 04:59:16 -0800, Steven Green
said:

I am building a stock of lenses then will purchase a nice FX body later,
but I am curious about autofocus and teleconverters on the D40. I have
read that other users experienced sporatic problems with the
teleconverters on other cameras but I have not found anything definative
saying they will not work ..

Nikon AF-S teleconverters will autofocus with AF-S lenses on the D40.
Not all teleconverters are AF-S, however. Nikon AF-S teleconverters
only work on a very few Nikon lenses. They have to be AF-S and the rear
lens element must be recessed enough to allow mounting of the
teleconverter.

So a Nikon AF-S teleconverter will work well with the 70-200mm f/2.8
AF-S VR lens. It will not work with the 80-400mm AF VR lens. Some other
teleconverters *may* autofocus with that lens if they will mount at
all, but not on the D40. When Nikon says a teleconverter is compatible
with certain lenses, they mean it. The teleconverter literally will not
fit on other lenses in their current lineup. It might fit on older
lenses, or it might not.

As pointed out, there are some errors in the Nikonians list and, in any
event, the list tells you nothing about the quality of image you will
get. You might get some third party teleconverters to work with some
Nikon lenses that will not otherwise accept teleconverters. You might
even get them to use features like AF-S and VR. But the image may well
be unacceptably fuzzy. Just because the chart says you can get it to
work does not mean you will like the results.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor