Question on Saturation

Old March 11th 05, 12:35 PM
Robert Klemme

Default Question on Saturation

"The PhAnToM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
Hi- I was wondering if there was a trick to getting rid of bright color
saturation (especially white) in digital photos without compromising
the color levels in the rest of the shot (i.e., making the whole photo
too dark)? Or is this just an artifact of taking photos with a CCD that
has to be lived with? Thanks.

Photoshop Elements 3 has a feature that lets you reduce highlights and /
or make dark spots lighter.

HTH

robert

Old March 12th 05, 12:42 AM
The PhAnToM

Robert Klemme wrote:
"The PhAnToM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
Hi- I was wondering if there was a trick to getting rid of bright

color
saturation (especially white) in digital photos without

compromising
the color levels in the rest of the shot (i.e., making the whole

photo
too dark)? Or is this just an artifact of taking photos with a CCD

that
has to be lived with? Thanks.

Photoshop Elements 3 has a feature that lets you reduce highlights

and /
or make dark spots lighter.

Mmm. You mean the burn tool? Or is it some other tool? I have PS 7.0
(made work buy it for me, and of course my backup copy is on my home
laptop :^). The parts that are fully saturated contain no variation in
data, unfortunately, so burn doesn't work _that_ well on monochromatic
saturated areas, for instance. It _does_ work well if there are
different levels and colors that came out too bright in the original
image. What I am talking about is like on the swan's back in the link
to the bird photos that Deko posted in the max-zoom thread. I think
this has to be compensated for at the front end (taking the picture).
When the white is super saturated it has like a blue tint too it (hmm,
like maybe the blue cells are dominating the pixel, or is it the
reverse?).

Thanks for the suggestion just the same. Maybe I shouldn't assume too
much. (goes to download the swan picture to see what can be done with
it)

Zach

Old March 12th 05, 03:28 AM
Dekko

The PhAnToM wrote:
Robert Klemme wrote:
[...]

Let me know if that egret turns into a swan...=)

The snowy egret is just truly that intense of white and the feathers are so
....well feathery.. that it looks flat white with little detail. I had no
polarizing filter when I took those either but I doubt it would have made
much difference..

Those as posted have had an unsharp mask used on the egret and may have been
contrast adjusted for sharpness too because of the added digital zoom they
were not quite sharp as taken. Then for the web page compressed and resized
so are not high quality jpegs to play with anyway.
I can email you an original jpeg file to play with if you like.

--
Laurel T
Terraholm Border Terriers

Old March 12th 05, 06:46 AM
The PhAnToM

Thanks for the suggestion just the same. Maybe I shouldn't assume
too
much. (goes to download the swan picture to see what can be done

with
it)

Let me know if that egret turns into a swan...=)

Oops. I guess I should have looked at it again today, instead of just
glancing at it from last night...

The snowy egret is just truly that intense of white and the feathers

are so
...well feathery.. that it looks flat white with little detail. I had

no
polarizing filter when I took those either but I doubt it would have

made
much difference..

Those as posted have had an unsharp mask used on the egret and may

have been
contrast adjusted for sharpness too because of the added digital zoom

they
were not quite sharp as taken. Then for the web page compressed and

resized
so are not high quality jpegs to play with anyway.
I can email you an original jpeg file to play with if you like.

Sure. I will attempt my feeble Photoshop skills on it...

Zach

Old March 13th 05, 11:02 PM
Dekko

The PhAnToM wrote:

I can email you an original jpeg file to play with if you like.

Sure. I will attempt my feeble Photoshop skills on it...

Did you get my emails OK?

--
Laurel T
Terraholm Border Terriers

Old March 21st 05, 03:36 AM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Hi- I was wondering if there was a trick to getting rid of bright color
saturation (especially white) in digital photos without compromising
the color levels in the rest of the shot (i.e., making the whole photo
too dark)? Or is this just an artifact of taking photos with a CCD that
has to be lived with? Thanks.

Some cameras have internal settings that artificially augment the
colors, to make the photographs look more "striking." Most of these
cameras have settings to adjust the degree to which the image is
enhanced, so if your camera allows it, you might try using a lower
enhancement setting.

-Joel