Anyone has a photo of flying fish?

Old September 29th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

Default Anyone has a photo of flying fish?

I have seen lots of photos of animal, birds, flowers, bees in this
newsgroup and other camera talk fourms. I have seen beautiful pictures
of humming birds frozen by the camera's extremelly fast shutter speed.
However, I rarely see a good quality photo of a flying fish. What I
mean by flying fish is not a fish caught by a flying bird. I am
thinking of a tropical fish that has wings and jumps and glides in the
ocean. My question is whether someone in this newsgroup took a photo
of a flying fish and can share it in this newsgroup, or show where
anyone can access and see the photo(s). I found only a trickle number
of photos when I search the flying fish photos in Google images,
Photo.net or Pbase. There must be those enthusiast photographers who
also have habits of sport fishing, or perhaps spent some time near
Barbados and had a chance to take that rare photos. Thanks for sharing
any photos of a flying fish.

Old September 29th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
JL

Type "flying fish" in Google, not Google Images.

Jean-Luc Ernst
www.digigrey.com

Old September 29th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Nervous Nick

On Sep 28, 11:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

Google is your friend. Fifteen seconds of keystrokes elicits:

http://www.soc.soton.ac.uk/marine_wi...lying_fish.jpg

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...ying-fish.html

And the following is just something semi-OT but fun, that we've been
seeing around northern Illinois lately:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in523372.shtml

--
YOP...

Old September 29th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Marvin[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

During WW II, I was an infantry rifleman in the Pacific. On
our way to Leyte for the landing, we were allowed to take
rifle practice by shooting at flying fish. I never hit one,
and nobody else ever told me he did. They come out of the
water unexpectedly, fly erratically for two or three
seconds, and drop back into the water. They are VERY
difficult targets for a rifle or a camera.
Old September 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 12:27 am, wrote:
, I rarely see a good quality photo of a flying fish. What I
mean by flying fish is not a fish caught by a flying bird.

After over a hundred thousand miles of offshore sailing, having been
nailed in the forehead by one, having heard one hit the mainsail and
bounce down through the back of the collar of the helmsman's shirt and
after having removed scores of them from the deck in the morning I can
tell you Marvin is absolutely right and Nervous Nick's first link is
probably the best picture you'll ever find of one in flight.
Hummingbirds are easy, hang up a feeder and wait for them to show up.
I know of nothing more fleeting nor ethereal than a flying fish in
flight.

Old September 29th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
C J Campbell

On 2007-09-28 21:27:56 -0700, said:

[...]

Now, the hard one would be catching hatchet fish when they are flying.
Tiny, with only short flights, plus they live in the Amazon.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old September 30th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected][_2_]

On Sep 29, 12:43 pm, wrote:
On Sep 29, 12:27 am, wrote:
, I rarely see a good quality photo of a flying fish. What I

mean by flying fish is not a fish caught by a flying bird.

After over a hundred thousand miles of offshore sailing, having been
nailed in the forehead by one, having heard one hit the mainsail and
bounce down through the back of the collar of the helmsman's shirt and
after having removed scores of them from the deck in the morning I can
tell you Marvin is absolutely right and Nervous Nick's first link is
probably the best picture you'll ever find of one in flight.
Hummingbirds are easy, hang up a feeder and wait for them to show up.
I know of nothing more fleeting nor ethereal than a flying fish in
flight.

Thanks Martin and Babalooix, both very interesting stories!

Old September 30th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
Robert Barr

However, I rarely see a good quality photo of a flying fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI
Old September 30th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
sobriquet

On 29 sep, 06:27, wrote:
[...]

Sites like www.flickr.com might be a good place to look (search for
"flying fish" in the tags):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedromadruga/248470790/
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...7963750&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photos/antiguan/137105214/
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8297385&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...8297467&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...7340214&size=o

Old September 30th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 7:33 pm, sobriquet wrote:
On 29 sep, 06:27, wrote:

[...]

"flying fish" in the tags):http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedroma...7340214&size=o

Thanks for all the info about the flying fish. Unfortunately, there
seems to be very limited number of photos of a flying fish in action
(in Google image, Google, Flikr and others as suggested by the
fish was not real, but just a legend. You will see in Google that a
lot of story about flying fish are accompanied only by sketches, not
photos. But, then I saw this kind of fish sold in the market in the
Caribbean island and knew then that it was real. I think I have only
seen a few, as provided by some readers of these newsgroups.

Thanks for Bob who provided a u-tube movie of the jumping carps. But,
I am thinking about the fish with the wings (as shown in some photos),
which also does not include jumping salmons. I am also not thinking
about a flying fish in water or in someone's hand. I am looking for a
real, sharp and large images of flying fish in action. So far, I think
I only see 3 or 4 photos. It is amazing with the many pro digital
cameras nowadays (with up to 1/8000s shutter speed capabilities), that
I can only see a handfull photos of the flying fish. As said by one of
the response of this thread, perhaps taking such a photo is much more
difficult than taking a photo of a hummingbird. Well... I think this
is a good challenge and opportunity for those who wants to show off
their cameras' capabilities and photos.

Thanks for all of the response. Unfortunately, I will not be near
tropical water in the near future. So, I will not be able to try to
get such a photo myself.