D200 Focusing Problems

Old January 25th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JimmyG

Default D200 Focusing Problems

This is a duplicate post from my posting in rec.photo.digital (Just
covering all bases)

I'm having a heck of a time keeping focus on moving objects w/ my D200.

I'm using a 200-400 f/4 on it, and it's set to "Active" focusing, I've

tried all sorts of combinations on the D200.

I set it to Constant focusing (Of course), I've tried the AF area mode

settings on group, dynamic...all of them, with various combinations
with metering selections.

When I'm doing wildlife or cars, I can't seem to keep the object in
focus as I pan without releasing & re-depressing the shutter release
for exposure reading. I expect that once I compose the object, take a
meter reading & hod the shutter release down part-way, the lens/camera
should hold focus as I pan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much!!

Old January 26th 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

JimmyG wrote:

This is a duplicate post from my posting in rec.photo.digital (Just
covering all bases)

I'm having a heck of a time keeping focus on moving objects w/ my D200.

I'm using a 200-400 f/4 on it, and it's set to "Active" focusing, I've

tried all sorts of combinations on the D200.

I set it to Constant focusing (Of course), I've tried the AF area mode

settings on group, dynamic...all of them, with various combinations
with metering selections.

When I'm doing wildlife or cars, I can't seem to keep the object in
focus as I pan without releasing & re-depressing the shutter release
for exposure reading. I expect that once I compose the object, take a
meter reading & hod the shutter release down part-way, the lens/camera
should hold focus as I pan.

Check the manual/menus, you may have to change the settings of the AF/AE
lock button. Why are you holding the shutter halfway, to lock exposure?
Old January 27th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeremy Nixon

JimmyG wrote:

When I'm doing wildlife or cars, I can't seem to keep the object in
focus as I pan without releasing & re-depressing the shutter release
for exposure reading. I expect that once I compose the object, take a
meter reading & hod the shutter release down part-way, the lens/camera
should hold focus as I pan.

It's not entirely clear which behavior you're after. If you have it in
continuous AF mode, then as long as you hold the shutter release halfway,
the camera will continue to re-focus on whatever the focus point is on.
In single-AF mode, it will focus on the point once and then lock there
while you hold the button down, and not re-focus until you release the
button and press it again.

--
Jeremy |
Old January 27th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Schnell

If it does not work the camera or the lens is broken or they don't work
together well. My wife mostly does moving horse with her D200 and never
reported such problems with several lenses (most are original Nikon).

-Michael