What do you think about HDR?

Old January 23rd 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

Default What do you think about HDR?

What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

--
Phil

Old January 24th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

"Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message
What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Most of the samples I've seen so far look kind of freaky to me. The samples
in that article look better.

Greg

Old January 24th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

G.T. wrote:
"Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message
What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Most of the samples I've seen so far look kind of freaky to me. The
samples in that article look better.

Greg

Agreed. If used properly like the bridge photo in my link, it looks like it
can do a world of wonders. I'm going to try out PS CS2's capabilities with
HDR and see what I come up with.

--
Phil

Old January 24th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave Devine

G.T. wrote:

"Phil, Non-Squid" wrote in message
What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Most of the samples I've seen so far look kind of freaky to me. The samples
in that article look better.

Greg

The German news magazin "Der Spiegel" has run a couple of articles on
HDR with some nice images. Some pictures are available he

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,18687,00.html

They tout a program called Photomatix for processing the images.

For those who can read German, the latest article is he

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0...460727,00.html

and contains links to additional articles and photos.

Dave
--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Old January 24th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 8:39 pm, "G.T." wrote:

Most of the samples I've seen so far look kind of freaky to me. The samples
in that article look better.

The bridge photo suffers badly from the halo artifact: it looks like
the bridge is "glowing". Better DR compression techniques exist; see:

http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~danix/hdr/hdrc.pdf

Old January 24th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AustinMN

Dave Devine wrote:
G.T. wrote:
Most of the samples I've seen so far look kind of freaky to me. The samples
in that article look better.

Greg

The German news magazin "Der Spiegel" has run a couple of articles on
HDR with some nice images. Some pictures are available he

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/0,5538,18687,00.html

I think many of those pictures prove Greg's point. HDR techniques have
to be applied carefully in order to not look strange. While those
images illustrate what HDR can do, I think a side-by-side comparison of
more subtly applied HDR would be more effective.

Austin

Old January 24th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TriStar

I have done a few of these my self.
http://public.fotki.com/TriStar/hdr/

Some look good others not so much. Also keep in mind I made these using
a 5mp point and shoot cammera and have not done any using my new Cannon
XTi. I think once i get some time to do some using the RAW mode they
should look much better.

Old January 24th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:36:12 -0800, Phil, Non-Squid wrote
(in article ):

What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

I have never been able to get it to look right.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old January 28th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Petri Lopia

On 2007-01-23, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
What's everyone's thoughts about HDR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

I have tried to do some HDR images but for some reason they always
look so unreal. Probably I do somethin wrong with settings cos I have
seen some really good looking ones too. But mostly peoples use that
effect too much on their HDR photos IMHO.

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
Galapagos Island, Lightnings, StormChasing, Moon: