B&W Images

Old July 28th 04, 10:16 PM
Beowulf

Default B&W Images

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:38:40 -0400, Dominic Richens wrote:
Filter? The way to make BW shots is to load the colour image into some
program such as photoshop or GIMP (free) and use the colour mixer in
monochrome mode. By change the contribution of red green and blue, you can
simulate the effect of different BW filters (like yellow or red etc...)

Interesting -- sounds like a much better method than using actual glass
filters over the camera lens which decrease light availability to the
camera 'film' and which introduce new chances for lens abberations that
would defocus the subject. Keeping the filters digital means a cleaner
(more in focus) image.

--
"It said it needed Windows98 or better installed, so I installed Linux."

Old July 29th 04, 02:36 AM
Frank Fischer

Thomas wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:43:58 +0100, Craig wrote:

I'd like to try my hand at Black and White shots. I have a Canon 300D.

Looks like I need a filter. Is that the case, or is there better ways

that

this can be done? Also, with the filter, do you still need software to

then

edit the image to get it black and white?

I use a Canon 10D digital SRL and shoot in color, then it is easy with
just about any image editing software to simply drop the color saturation
to zero to make it b&w. I then adjust color levels to achieve proper
contrast and such. I use GIMP software, almost as powerful as Adobe
Photoshop and totally free (open source)-- for Windows or Linux.

Quick question.. I have Mandrake 8 installed on a partition.. How do I get
USB working??

Upgrade. You're about five versions of Mandrake behind.