Sensor cleaning

Old December 12th 04, 09:44 AM
embee

Default Sensor cleaning

I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few months,
but yesterday I took some pictures of my wife putting up our Christmas tree.
I used a small aperture and the background wall is a plain colour - I was
absolutely horrified by what I saw, the camera is completely unusable. I
wish this was a binaries group so I could show you all just how bad the
problem is - YUK!!

Anyway, now I must clean the sensor and I really don't want to send my
camera away for this to be done so I've decided to give it a go myself. I've
read about the DIY methods using PecPads and also about the special fibre
brushes that can be bought for this job. Before I take the plunge, I'd like
to hear the experiences of others who've done this. What materials have you
used (I am in the UK so any pointers on how to buy the materials would be
helpful)? How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely
dirty)? Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon or
is it OK to do this myself? Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
doing it themselves? Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Thanks.

Old December 12th 04, 09:51 AM
RustYŠ

"embee" wrote in message
t...
I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
months,

You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.

As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it does
work quite well.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Old December 12th 04, 10:03 AM
embee

"RustYŠ" wrote in message
"embee" wrote in message
t...
I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
months,

You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.

As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it does
work quite well.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Thanks - I'll look for some free space - you really will cringe when you see
how dirty these pictures are!! I've used a bulb blower and in the past it
has worked OK but it just won't touch this amount of mess. By the way,
what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I live in Wales, was born in
Cardiff and I LOVE watching military planes!

Old December 12th 04, 10:44 AM
Joseph Meehan

embee wrote:
"RustYŠ" wrote in message
"embee" wrote in message
t...
I've been putting off cleaning the sensor on my 10D for quite a few
months,

You can always upload a picture to freespace and link to it.

As for cleaning, try a blower first. You need a powerful one but it
does work quite well.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Thanks - I'll look for some free space - you really will cringe when
you see how dirty these pictures are!! I've used a bulb blower and in
the past it has worked OK but it just won't touch this amount of
mess.

The amount is a non-issue. If it will work on a little, it will work on
a lot. I suggest you give it a try.

By the way, what's your interest in Welsh Military Flying? I
live in Wales, was born in Cardiff and I LOVE watching military
planes!

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 12th 04, 10:48 AM
Rob Davison

embee wrote:
Before I take the plunge, I'd like to hear the experiences of others
who've done this. What materials have you used (I am in the UK so any
pointers on how to buy the materials would be helpful)?

PecPads + Eclipse + a cut down plastic spatula.
As per: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

How successful were you (especially if your sensor was extremely dirty)?

At the first attempt, not very. :-)

My camera had dirt on the sensor from new. I put up with it (and
occasionally tried a blower bulb) for almost a year. When I did
decide enough was enough it was very bad indeed. Anything over
about F10 was dodgy.

The first attempt shifted some of the gunk. Moved the rest around.
Second a little more. Perfectly clean after the third (or was it
fourth?) go and it has stayed fairly clean for the several thousand
frames taken since.

I try to be careful changing lenses and find it does help.

It is a bit time consuming and fiddly but I didn't find the job
all that hard to do. Mind you, if someone hamfisted has knackered
their camera they aren't very likely to confess...

Overall, would I be better off sending the camera away to Canon
or is it OK to do this myself?

I wouldn't and I gather it is possible for the camera to come back
more dirty than it was when it went away. In the end though you'll
have to make your own decision and take any consequences.

Has anybody actually made the situation worse by
doing it themselves?

I've heard it suggested that using compressed air or a very strong
blower can shift dirt to underneath the antialias filter and that
would definitely result in a back-to-Canon job...

Is it possible to completely clean my sensor of all
dust and dirt - remember, there are literally hundreds of specks?

Yes - though probably not first go (safer to take it gently too).

Good luck,

Rob.

Old December 12th 04, 10:52 AM
Graham Russell

PecPads and Eclipse solution are available from Robert White:
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/digital.htm#Labeldclean

I've used this stuff with a home made spatula device (a modified Bob the
Builder plastic knife!!) and after a couple of applications all dirt is
removed.

It does require a steady hand and a lot of bottle but you should be fine.
Once you're set up it should only take 10-15 mins.

Good luck!!

Graham.

Graham Russell Photography - www.grahamrussell.info
ProSportPhotos - www.prosportphotos.com