Dropping ZoomBrowser

Old October 14th 05, 02:48 PM
salgud

Default Dropping ZoomBrowser

Tony Whitaker wrote:
"salgud" wrote in message
oups.com...
To answer your question, auto-naming the files is nice, but not
important. What I like about the electronic photo albums is the ability
to find a picture later, particularly if I can't remember when I took
it. I have a very visual memory, but can't remember dates or numbers to
save my life. In a couple of years, I can easily see myself looking for
a pic and not being able to remember what year I took it, much less
what month. I want to index the pics in pretty standard categories,
like family, vacations, etc. And with each kids name.
Which leads to the other nice thing about electronic albums, I don't
have to open a folder, look through it, close it, open another, close
it, etc. So if I'm looking for a particular pic of my son Mike, I can
filter for Mike (granted, if I've indexed them), then quickly scroll
through all the albums that contain that keyword.

So, are you saying that photo album software automatically categorize your
photos, or facilitates your categorizing of them? How does it do that? It
seems to me to be pretty easy to create a folder named "2005 - Photos of
Mike", open another Windows Explorer instance, look at the thumbnails of the
pics on your card, and then drag pictures of Mike into the "2005 - Photos of
Mike" directory.

But with album software, I can keyword the image under a dozen keyords,
not just one or 2. Suppose the pic has all 3 of my sons in it, and it
was taken in Costa Rica on vacation going to one of my son's wedding in
Costa Rica? I don't want to have to name a file 2005_10-14 Mike Rob
Eric kids Costa Rica vacation wedding etc, etc. In album software I can
just enter those as keywords. With the software I can easily
multi-index them. Then I can call it up under any of those keywords.
And I don't have to open and close bunches of folders to view and edit.

With some of the albums, I can choose which photo editor I want for a
particular task. ...

Well, yeah, I understand the need for a picture viewer. I mentioned that I
use Irfanview.

So album software is just a viewer with a few added features. Sounds
like you don't need them, but I do. Viva la difference!