Printing on the back of a print.

Old February 1st 04, 06:50 PM
Dale Strouse

Default Printing on the back of a print.

In article , Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Mark in Maine wrote:
I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

Why not just print out your calendar pages on a separate sheet of laser
paper, and then with spray glue, glue this to the back of the RC print?
THen you can trim the edges to cut off any misaligned overhang. I do
this all the time to make photo cards.
Old February 1st 04, 07:29 PM
Ken Hart

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
On 1/31/2004 4:34 PM Mark in Maine spake thus:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

First of all, sorry, I haven't done this myself.

But I'm curious why you're getting a ghost image with your laser printer.

Is
this perhaps just your printer? I've printed paper about the thickness of

RC
paper in a laser printer before without this problem, though nothing with

surface like RC.

The ghost image is _probably_ because the fusing roller is not completely
fusing the toner to the paper. The photo paper is thicker than regular
(common copier) paper and the roller does not provide sufficient heat to
completely fuse. Or the surface of the paper is not accepting all of the
toner. Some of the toner is staying on the fusing roller and being fused on
the next revolution. (the diameter of the roller is equal to the distance
between the two images divided by pi?)
Do you have the same problem if you use heavy card stock?

How about doing a test by taking a few sheets of RC to a copy shop and

seeing
if they'll run them through their copier (basically the same process as a
laser printer)? As long as you can convince them the sheets won't ruin

their
equipment, they should do it. (Keep in mind that laser printers and

copiers
are fine with plastic sheets, like transparency film or laminating

sheets.)

The output of a copier uses heat, and could damage the photo, and possibly
the fusing roller. A commercial copier will probably have a hotter roller
than a small home office type copier.

I have tried using my copier (a small Canon, about the size of a briefcase)
to put a copyright message on the back of color photos (on Kodak Endura
paper). It works, but... (a) set the copier exposure light to limit the
amount of toner, (b) the photos will come out curled and need to go under
some weight for some time, (c) the one-of-a-kind photo is the one that will
jam/scratch/melt!

The best thing I've found for writing on photos is a waterproof marker, such
as a Sharpie brand; but I don't think you want to free-hand write the
calendar pages on each photo!

Ken Hart

Old February 1st 04, 08:24 PM
Patrick Gainer

Gary Beasley wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:34:58 GMT, Mark in Maine
wrote:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Mark

If it all has to be on photo paper you might try something like 11x14
creased and folded to 11x7 with the image on one side and the calendar
grid on the other. Folded sheets will bind as well as single sheets.
If flatness is a problem you might want to use adhesive of some kind
inside the folded sheet. FWIW Epson makes a double sided paper that
you could use for better effect.

An "old fashioned" dot matrix printer will probably work. They can still
be had. Epson LQ series and Panasonic equivalents do a pretty good job
on text, charts, etc. and will work from any word processing program.
Old February 1st 04, 09:51 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 2/1/2004 11:24 AM Patrick Gainer spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, no. I'm usually an advocate of extremely low-tech solutions, but this
one will create "graphics" that look like the invoice you get from your auto
mechanic.

--
It's stupid, moronic and too fcuking obvious, as obvious as counting your
fingers, so TELL ME SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW or just shut the fcuk up.

- "jjs" in extremis on rec.photo.darkroom

Old February 1st 04, 09:57 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/31/2004 4:34 PM Mark in Maine spake thus:

I want to make a calender, by printing the calender grid thing on the
back of some RC prints, then spiral binding them together. I have
been using Ilford RC paper, but am having a hard time finding
something that will print on the back - if I use an inkjet (Epson
1280) - the ink does not seem to dry, and is very susecptible to
water. I also have a laser printer, which is better, but I get a
ghost image, about an inch away from the original image. Has anybody
done this before - any comments, suggestions, etc?

Here's an idea: how about using an Alps printer? They're "out of print" but
still available on eBay. Anyone had experience with these? I think they'll
print on practically anything.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:29 AM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Here's an idea: how about using an Alps printer? They're "out of print" but
still available on eBay. Anyone had experience with these? I think they'll
print on practically anything.

Actually I have; Omega Satter at one point considered marketing them for
Alps. Their people came in and even demo'd the units to the president,
myself and another CS rep. They really had some cool features like
they could print "gold foil" using a special ribbon. They used some kind of
wax cartridges which each contained a seperate color. This was pre Epson
micro Piezo 6 ink printers, the prints looked like photos and were supposedly fade resistant
for 100 years? B&H carried them for a while but the Alps
people didn't like the arrangement because the printers needed alot
of customer service support,..... for some users. They were complex beyond the
abilities of the average sales person.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank
Old February 2nd 04, 06:37 AM
JRF

Canon's matte paper would probably print well on the back side, but you'll
have to decide for yourself if you like your images on matte paper. My own
opinion is that scenics don't fare well on a matte finish, portaits do
better, but we all have make that assessment individually.

Bob in Las Vegas

"Morton Klotz" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I was going to suggest the same thing. Epson calls it Double Sided
Matte Paper. I have used it in an Epson 750 printer and it works well.

Old February 2nd 04, 06:16 PM
Patrick Gainer

wrote:

[...]

Not the one I had. On such things as text and charts. it did very well,
but very slowly. This was a 24 pin LQ 1070.
Old February 5th 04, 11:32 AM
Mike King

Laser printing not a good choice the heat from the drum can damage RC
papers.

My Epson C80 uses a different type of ink, pigment rather than dye based, if
I let the prints dry overnight the ink will usually stay put on the back of
RC prints.

Or use FB paper instead of RC.

Or make digital prints on a double-sided paper rather than making prints in
the darkroom.

Or mount the prints on preprinted calendars.

Or mount the prints back to back with calendar pages that could also be
printed in the darkroom and take the stack to Kinko's for binding.

--
darkroommike