Stamp & ink

Old March 24th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
K W Hart

Default Stamp & ink

"Lew" wrote in message
I just bought a self-inking stamp so as to put some id & copyright info on
my prints (rc for now). The ink can still be wiped off with my finger over
a day later. What kind of ink should I be using & who supplies such?
Thanks.

Here's the problem: The ink on your self-inking stamp (or stamp pad) does
"dry", it soaks in. You need an ink that does actually dry, such as a
"Sharpie" brand marker. If you want to use a rubber stamp, get a catolog
from Porter's Camera Store in Cedar Falls, Iowa, and find the stamp pads and
ink made for RC paper. It ain't cheap, and it dries out. Plus you also need
the solvent to periodically clean your rubber stamp. (The Porter's catolog
is a goldmine of photo odds and ends, I have dealt with them and recommend
them. Their prices are not great, but service is very good. I have no
employment connection with them.)

If you absolutely want to use your self-inking stamp (or standard stamp pad
ink), you could try stamping the print and then pressing the prints between
layers of newspaper. After a couple days, the newspaper will have soaked up
the 'excess' ink and a faint imprint will have soaked into the RC print.

Another alternative you could try is to use a laser printer or copier to
imprint the info on the back. This type of printer or copier uses heat to
melt toner into the paper. Couple of problems come up: (1) You are usually
limited to 8x10 (actually 8 1/2" wide). (2) Depending on the printer/copier,
the heat may damage the print. (3) Depending on the printer/copier, the
internal rollers may damage the print, (4) Depending on the printer/copier,
the thickness of the paper may prevent it (the machine) from making enough
heat to completely melt the toner (Although some printers have a setting for
thick papers).and it will rub off. Wasn't that the problem you started
with?!

In my studio, I use a Sharpie to handwrite the neg number on the back of the
print, and use a hot-stamping machine (google "Veach Company") to 'sign' the
front of the print. The hot stamp machine uses old-style metal type in a
heated holder to 'melt' gold leaf into the surface of the print.

Hope this is helpful and not too discouraging!

Rubber stamp and ink Lew In The Darkroom 5 May 16th 07 10:06 AM
Date stamp [email protected] General Equipment For Sale 1 December 6th 06 08:47 AM
Date Stamp rdkng97 Digital Photography 2 September 9th 06 01:09 AM
Clone stamp - PS7 Ken Davey Digital Photography 25 November 23rd 04 02:57 PM
Stencil or stamp? [email protected] General Photography Techniques 1 December 6th 03 09:01 PM