Information Please

Old February 8th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob M

Default Information Please

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available. I
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

Rob M

Old February 8th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , Rob M
wrote:

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available. I
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

I'd normally recommend Aperture, but it appears as if you are Win based
from your headers, so...

If you're comfortable with a command line, you can use ExifTool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Lightroom from Adobe will also allow some [limited] metadata to be
added, and can export directly to the jpegs.

Here's another place to look, you might find something the
http://www.versiontracker.com/php/se...tion=search&st
r=metadata&srchArea=windows&x=0&y=0

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old February 8th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

On Feb 8, 12:52 pm, "Rob M" wrote:
I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available. I
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

Rob M

I use IrfanView to do that--it's free and an important part of my
workflow in addition to photoshop. You have to make sure you install
the plugins package with it, and then when you open an image hitting
alt+ i and then another i and you're into the area that will allow you
to monkey with the IPTC info or to add a comment. www.irfanview.com

Old February 8th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mathew Orman

"Rob M" wrote in message
I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available.
I don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

Rob M

Use freeware with full editing of metadata:

http://www.xnview.com

Mathew Orman

http://tyrell-innovations-usa.com/shack3d/

Old February 8th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Rob M
wrote:

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available. I
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

I'd normally recommend Aperture, but it appears as if you are Win based
from your headers, so...

If you're comfortable with a command line, you can use ExifTool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Lightroom from Adobe will also allow some [limited] metadata to be
added, and can export directly to the jpegs.

What is the limitation on metadata that Lightroom can add?

--
John McWilliams
Old February 8th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

On Feb 8, 3:38 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Rob M
wrote:

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available. I
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

I'd normally recommend Aperture, but it appears as if you are Win based
from your headers, so...

If you're comfortable with a command line, you can use ExifTool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Lightroom from Adobe will also allow some [limited] metadata to be
added, and can export directly to the jpegs.

What is the limitation on metadata that Lightroom can add?

The limitation on lightroom is that it'll cease to function after a
certain date, and then you'll have to buy it for many hundreds of
dollars.

Old February 8th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Matt Clara

On Feb 8, 2:23 pm, "Mathew Orman" wrote:
"Rob M" wrote in message

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available.
I don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

Rob M

Use freeware with full editing of metadata:

http://www.xnview.com

That is a nice looking bit of software, but I will submit that it is
overly complicated for the intended useage. IrfanView, on the other
hand, handily replaces Window's native viewer, which is a piece of
crap, and by hitting the space bar to advance between images and then
alt + i + i + i (literally, hold down the alt and hit the i key three
times) one can easily and quickly access the IPTC content; further,
one can add comments (alt + i + i + c) and apply them to a whole set
of images. Finally, though xnview does allow some editing of exif, as
far as I can see you can only edit the time and date. I am biased in
so far that I feel every photographer (or anyone working with lots of
images) should have IrfanView on their windows system to facilitate
their image workflow.

Old February 8th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ken Lucke

In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Rob M
wrote:

I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

I shoot on a Canon, and have Zoombrowser or Raw Shooter Premium available.
don't use Photoshop

Is there an piece of software that will achieve this?

I'd normally recommend Aperture, but it appears as if you are Win based
from your headers, so...

If you're comfortable with a command line, you can use ExifTool.
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Lightroom from Adobe will also allow some [limited] metadata to be
added, and can export directly to the jpegs.

What is the limitation on metadata that Lightroom can add?

About the only thing I could find that I could add was keywords. All
the EXIF that was originally with the photo was retained, of course,
but I never could find a way to add anything else other than keywords.
that may be changed in the release version.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard
Old February 8th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Rob M wrote:
I need to find some software that allows me to add metadata in the files I
create prior to uploading images as jpegs to a stock library.

What sort of metadata? Batching your name on or titles & annotation?

Old February 9th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , John
McWilliams wrote:

Ken Lucke wrote:
In article , Rob M
wrote:

[...]

Beta 4.1 allows you to make custom metadata templates, for one, so that
everything you want can be added on first import.

--
John McWilliams

Information for you [email protected] Digital Photography 1 February 14th 06 09:10 PM
Looking for more information [email protected] Digital Photography 0 January 3rd 05 08:23 AM
Looking for more information. [email protected] In The Darkroom 5 December 17th 04 05:21 PM
information john Digital Photography 0 December 3rd 04 02:16 AM
Coverage information Collin Brendemuehl Large Format Photography Equipment 2 June 11th 04 12:54 PM