Stuck pixels on a Canon PowerShot S70

Old October 17th 04, 11:05 PM
Peter

Default Stuck pixels on a Canon PowerShot S70

I just recently purchased a Canon PowerShot S70 and I noticed two pixels
that are stuck; one is stuck on white (1417x973) the other is stuck at
red (1968x682).

I noticed the one that is stuck on white while zooming in on a photo on
my computer using Phoshop Elements 2. After I found that stuck pixel,
I took a manual picture in a dark room (1/125, F2.8, No Flash) and
confirmed the stuck white pixel and found a stuck red pixel.

Could this be a problem with the optics or the CCD? Is it considered
normal to have one or two pixels stuck on a 7.1 Megapixel camera?

Thank you for any help/advice.

Please reply by removing "spamless" .

Thank you again,
Peter
Old October 18th 04, 12:20 AM
Phil Wheeler

Peter wrote:
I just recently purchased a Canon PowerShot S70 and I noticed two pixels
that are stuck; one is stuck on white (1417x973) the other is stuck at
red (1968x682).

I noticed the one that is stuck on white while zooming in on a photo on
my computer using Phoshop Elements 2. After I found that stuck pixel,
I took a manual picture in a dark room (1/125, F2.8, No Flash) and
confirmed the stuck white pixel and found a stuck red pixel.

Could this be a problem with the optics or the CCD? Is it considered
normal to have one or two pixels stuck on a 7.1 Megapixel camera?

Problem is the sensor. And no, it is not normal, in my opinion, to have
such pixels in a 1/125 sec exposure.

If you want to quatify this further, there is a free program
(DeadPixelTest) to do so. Just shoot in a dark area with the lens cap
on at a few values of exposure time and see what you get.

Phil

Old October 18th 04, 05:15 PM
Peter

Phil Wheeler wrote:

Peter wrote:

[...]

Thank you Phil, I will try to find "DeadPixelTest" and try it out.

Old October 20th 04, 06:19 PM
Peter

Peter wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:

Peter wrote:

[...]

I D/Led DeadPixelTest (http://www.starzen.com/imaging/deadpixeltest.htm)
and it confirmed the stuck pixels. I then returned the camera to
Best Buy and got a replacement without a problem. I have tested the new
camera with DeadPixelTest and it does not appear to have any stuck pixels.

Along the way I stumbled onto an article about stuck/hot pixels that I
found very informative:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...ot_pixels.html