Fall Back, U.S.A!

Old November 5th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng[_2_]

Default Fall Back, U.S.A!

Bob Larter wrote:
rwalker wrote:
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 22:15:10 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
wrote:

"rwalker" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 00:19:52 +0530, "mianileng"
wrote:

I would have thought that the physical task of setting
clocks is
a passing and relatively minor inconvenience. I expect that
someone unused to DST would experience a more extended
period of
adjusting one's biological clock, rather like jet lag. You
suddenly have to get to work an hour early while the clock
says
that it's still the same 9 AM.

That is my main problem with DST. My biological clock is
set to
standard time, and I'm an insomniac. All DST means to me is
that I
spend a good chunk of the year on (an even larger) sleep
deficit
since I have to get up an hour earlier than I would
otherwise, and
I never seem to adjust to it.

Amen!

Glad to know there are some fellow sufferers!

You can add me to your list. I ****ing hate DST!

Now that's an unequivocal statement :-) This thread has been an
eye opener. The number of posters represents a tiny percentage of
those who have to live with DST, but still, I'm quite surprised
at the overwhelming majority of anti-DST posts. It's gratifying
in a way because it indicates that I have not simply been too
obtuse to see how the benefits of DST outweigh its disadvantages.

Old November 5th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 23:41:56 +0530, "mianileng"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Just to present a view on the other side, I'm in favor of DST. The
clock-changing aspect is a inconsequential inconvenience compared to
the benefit of an additional hour of daylight recreation. Golf after
work, for example.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old November 5th 09, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, as I indicated in my earlier post, the clock changing aspect has
nothing to do with it from my perspective. For me it's a matter of
feeling like hell for most of the DST period.
Old November 5th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng[_2_]

wrote:

Bob Larter wrote:

[...]

I expected that there would be those in favor of DST, otherwise
it would have been abolished long ago. I respect your right to
have a viewpoint that differs from mine, and I indicated in an
earlier post that I consider the clock-setting aspect to be a
relatively minor part of the overall consequences of DST.

However, the rescheduling of working and leisure hours in actual
time (not clock time) can be done, and *is* done in many
countries, simply by notification. I guess it's something like an
acquired taste for certain foods. You get to like it after you've
become accustomed to it, while others never get used to it.

I do feel, however, that if an otherwise intelligent and
civilized person who's never had to keep time were to be suddenly
forced to choose between the two systems, he'd go for no DST.

Old November 5th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

wrote:

Bob Larter wrote:

[...]

As a former owner of a business, there's no way that I would want to
change the business's hours during the year. In the different
countries I've visited, *all* of the business's have traditional hours
and early closing days, but they are based on years of tradition.

simply by notification. I guess it's something like an
acquired taste for certain foods. You get to like it after you've
become accustomed to it, while others never get used to it.

I do feel, however, that if an otherwise intelligent and
civilized person who's never had to keep time were to be suddenly
forced to choose between the two systems, he'd go for no DST.

What do you think happened in the US? At some point in the past, the
decision to opt for DST or not to was made. More places did than
didn't. It was local option. The original concept was Benjamin
Franklin's, by the way.

Some here have mentioned trouble because their sleep patterns are
disturbed. How do these people travel to different time zones and
survive?

They would not want to be elected as a congressman from some state on
a different time zone than Washington because of the need to travel
back and forth from DC to their home state.

On the trips I've made to other time zones, my sleep pattern has never
suffered. However, my stomach stays on my own time for several days.
Not so much a problem staying in the US, but trips to Europe and
Africa have resulted in being hungry at odd hours.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida