Minilab roundup

Old October 17th 03, 11:03 AM
Peter Lawrence

Default Minilab roundup

Bill Tuthill wrote in message ...

Agfa dLab-2 (1200/hour)
grey restoration in B&W (4/5) and
digital files "dominant" (4/5).
All other parameters were 5/5. Comment was that "...the machine that
delivered the sharpest images and fine details."

Hmm... there is one in a nearby city. I'll definitely have to try it.
If the software is anything like the Agfa MSC minilabs, it'll work well
with all kinds of film except Konica. Unlike the Frontier, which
works well mostly with Fuji films, and less well (to differing degrees)
with all other brands of film. Agfa films are a disaster on Frontiers.

Does anyone know which photo labs (if any) in the San Francisco Bay
Area are Agfa dLAB-2 labs? I know a few that are Agfa MSC minilabs,
but I don't think those that I know about have been upgraded to Agfa
dLab-2 labs.

- Peter
Old October 17th 03, 12:47 PM
Skip Middleton

I've had very good results with Agfa Ultra on a Frontier.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm ThomasH wrote:

... Agfa films are a disaster on Frontiers.

Negative or slides?

Negative film. The original Vista films in all speeds look bad,
with muddy greens and orangy reds. Haven't tried new Optima in
the Frontier, but on datasheets it looks similar to Vista.

Slides should be OK, although getting good prints from slides
requires a good Frontier operator, I've heard.

Cropping remains probably the Frontier's worst problem.
I have several Nutcracker ballet pictures where the prints
cut off legs and arms, despite correctly framed negatives.
Is overcropping a problem when submitting digicam images?