THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!

Old July 18th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!

George Kerby wrote:

On 7/10/08 10:04 AM, in article
,
"Annika1980" wrote:

On Jul 8, 9:34 pm, George Kerby wrote:

Right, your bag is a #4 cargo,complete with a tube of Testor's...

LOL! You are funny as ****, Anni!

Ok, I guess I'm slow. I don't get it.
What is a #4 cargo? And isn't Testor's model airplane glue or
something? Or maybe paint for model airplanes? I seem to remember my
brother using it.

I'm showing my age.

When we were kids, glue sniffing was the thing to do. It got so bad you had
to be 18 to buy the stuff. #4 cargo was the favorite sized bag to sniff the
glue from. ZZ Top did a song called "The Testor's Twist".

BTW: my apologizes to Miss Helen...

Hello, George:

Testor and Pactra - once Testor's main competitor, but, no longer in
real existence (Testor now owns the "Pactra" trademark, it seems) -
both produced cement, paint and "dope" (i.e., plasticized lacquer)
for plastic and wood kits, alike, during my model-building days of
the sixties and seventies.

Except, dope is strictly for balsa kits (stick-and-tissue airplanes,
primarily), and has quite an odor. It's a liquid, which comes in many
different colors (plus, clear), and provides strength (e.g., to tissue
paper and "silk span"), as well as being decorative.

Given your above statements, it's somewhat ironic that it's called
"dope," eh? I never intentionally inhaled any of these things, but,
dope's strong aroma would fill an entire room -- and therefore, might
make anyone a bit "high," after a while. :-)

Cordially,
John Turco

PS: To combat the glue-sniffing craze, nontoxic plastic cement
was eventually introduced. It not only had a pleasant smell, but,
it could even be eaten, harmlessly.

Alas, while it tasted like candy, it was also about as effective
as a Tootsie Roll, in helping to assemble kits.

You see, whereas real cement actually melted plastic parts
together, the "kiddie stuff" did nothing of the kind; as a
result, it was virtually worthless at keeping models intact,
for any length of time.
Old July 18th 08, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/17/08 10:37 PM, in article , "John
Turco" wrote:

George Kerby wrote:

On 7/10/08 10:04 AM, in article
,
"Annika1980" wrote:

[...]

We just knew it as "airplane" glue. I guess most kids didn't do model cars
or ships back in those days...