Photoshop CS issues

Old March 14th 04, 10:45 PM

Default Photoshop CS issues

Hi, I'm looking for some photoshop CS help.
I like many of the new features, but so far 3 things are a
problem for me.

1) I set the paper to best photo paper, but after I print,
and go to the next image, the paper is back to plain paper.
This never happened in any other version of photoshop.
Any ideas on how to make CS work like older versions?

2) Edit - Transform:
where did numeric transform go (it went away in 6.0)?
Sometimes I have a number of layers that need resizing
or rotation a precise amount. It seems like now the
only way is to use the mouse, thus you can't do different
layers precisely the same except by luck.

3) Histogram. Older photoshop versions you got a bigger
histogram window with some data. Now just the
little icon. Can you get the "older" histogram
info another way?

Thanks for any help,
Roger

Old March 15th 04, 01:12 AM
Bill Hilton

From: "Roger N. Clark

1) I set the paper to best photo paper, but after I print,
and go to the next image, the paper is back to plain paper.
This never happened in any other version of photoshop.
Any ideas on how to make CS work like older versions?

On my two Epson printers (1280, 2200) it works like before, ie, keeps the same
paper type and other settings for as many sheets as you print in a session
unless you change something. I think you have a Canon ... see if there's a new
printer driver, which may address this issue? Or come over to the dark side
and buy an Epson 4000 so you can print 17x22" with long-lasting Ultrachrome
inks

2) Edit - Transform:
where did numeric transform go (it went away in 6.0)?
Sometimes I have a number of layers that need resizing
or rotation a precise amount. It seems like now the
only way is to use the mouse, thus you can't do different
layers precisely the same except by luck.

Maybe not what you want, but you can arbitrarily rotate the entire canvas with
Image Rotate Canvas Arbitrary. If you just want to do it on a layer you
can copy the layer to a new file and do the rotation there, then move it back
to the original file.

Or if you have a selection (probably closer to what you're doing?) then do Edit
Free Transform and in the context-sensitive menu bar there are boxes for

entering the angle you wish to rotate.

You know the trick with the Measure tool to get the precise angle for leveling
horizons, etc, right?

3) Histogram. Older photoshop versions you got a bigger
histogram window with some data. Now just the
little icon. Can you get the "older" histogram
info another way?

With the Histogram palette active click on the chevron-like icon on the
top-right of the palette window and choose Expanded View or All Channels View
instead of the default Compact View.

Thanks for any help

Hope this helps ... now find us one more bear photographer

Bill

Old March 15th 04, 03:14 AM

Bill,
Wow. Thanks. Very helpful as usual.

The numeric scale, rotate, etc are all there in the bar at the top of the
screen when you go into the transform mode. It just shows how blind I
can be! It was there all the time.

The histogram tool is way cool in the expanded mode!

The printer is another story. I can do 2,3, 5, 7... prints and
it is just fine. But occasionally, even very rapid next print
a minute later and suddenly its changed to plain paper. Other
times I can work for two hours and it stays with the same paper.

I use an HP 1220C which has pretty good longevity, and 13 x 19 inch
paper (which oddly enough HP doesn't seem to sell), so I use
Espon paper for the big stuff. But the new Epson 4000 will be
my next lasrge printer. I don't consider Epson the dark side;
to the contrary maybe its HP ;-) The last 2 things I got from
HP never worked: their first DVD writer, and a little printer
for my wife. HP wants money to get new drivers, so I'll look
elsewhere for products now.

Roger

Old March 15th 04, 05:26 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Roger N. Clark

HP wants money to get new drivers, so I'll look
elsewhere for products now.

Wow, that seems strange that they charge for driver updates ... all my Nikon,
Canon and Epson digital products offer free driver updates via the net.

Bill

Old March 15th 04, 06:16 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Cost of product support; was Photoshop CS issues

"Bill Hilton" wrote
From: "Roger N. Clark
HP wants money to get new drivers, so I'll look
elsewhere for products now.

The customer always pays for new drivers, either implicitly or
explicitly:

o The money for product support was reserved from original
product's revenue stream to support it in the future
(Your retirement in the past);

o The money is hidden in the revenue from current sales
(your retirement now);

o or it's "cash on the barrel" & "no free lunch", all the
money has already been spent in bonuses/Enron deals/stock bubbles/
mutual fund scandals/... the company jet (your retirement
in the future).

See, support - it's the same everywhere.

Wow, that seems strange that they charge for driver updates ... all my Nikon,
Canon and Epson digital products offer free driver updates via the net.

h/p will charge for support for as long as they can get
away from it. If Nikon, Canon, Minolta ... keep offering
free drivers h/p will reverse its policy. Or possibly, Nikon,
Canon, Minolta... join h/p and also start to charge for drivers.

To be truthful, pay-as-you-go support, with no support
cost hidden in the product cost is the equitable
way to go:

o 10% of the customers use 90% of the support;

o By the time new drivers are needed 90% of the customers
will have gone on to a different product (something about
the driver not working being a big cause).

Driver development costs are the same whether just one
driver is distributed or 1,000,000 drivers are distributed.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 15th 04, 07:41 PM
Bill Hilton

From: "Roger N. Clark

From: "Nicholas O. Lindan"

The customer always pays for new drivers, either implicitly or
explicitly: snip See, support - it's the same everywhere.

If this were true then you'd expect to see higher initial prices for products
from companies who don't charge for new drivers (Epson, Canon, Nikon etc)
compared to companies who do charge, like HP. I don't see this at all,
printers seem to be priced similarily even though Epson has higher rated photo
models and scanners seem to be priced similarly too.

So I see your point in theory but in practice where's the proof? Current
products aren't priced higher by those companies offering free drivers and
updates.

"Bill Hilton" wrote

From: "Nicholas O. Lindan"

h/p will charge for support for as long as they can get
away from it.

True, but they won't get Roger's printer dollars anymore ... and I see a fair
number of tales of woe on the newsgroups about people with older HP scanners
etc who can't use them anymore because they have a new operating system and HP
won't support their hardware with updated drivers ...

To be truthful, pay-as-you-go support, with no support
cost hidden in the product cost is the equitable
way to go:

As a former engineer I agree that would be nice, but as a current consumer I
prefer getting free updated drivers and ICM files and firmware updates myself

I think HP sells a lot to businesses, often with a service contract attached,
so they are more used to this model than companies selling mostly to consumers.

o By the time new drivers are needed 90% of the customers
will have gone on to a different product (something about
the driver not working being a big cause).

So you only **** off 10% of your customer base? Nice job of maintaining
customer relations

Driver development costs are the same whether just one
driver is distributed or 1,000,000 drivers are distributed.

Many if not most driver updates require little more than recompiling C or C++
code, with maybe a few changes to the computer interface side ... the device
side code (the more difficult stuff to write) probably didn't change at all.
The guys who used to work for me could do it in a few hours (recompiling and
verification on a test suite) for drivers for our products running on X86
machines, for example. And distribution over the net is relatively cheap.

Bill

Old March 16th 04, 04:22 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

Bill Hinton:
Nicholas Lindan
The customer always pays for new drivers, either implicitly or
explicitly: snip See, support - it's the same everywhere.

So I see your point in theory but in practice where's the proof?

If the money doesn't come from the customers then where does
it come from? Do the stock holders pay for product support?

You always _pay_ for what you get, you have to, no one else will.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 16th 04, 08:34 PM
Philippe Boite

"Nicholas O. Lindan" a écrit dans le message de
ink.net...
Bill Hinton:
Nicholas Lindan
The customer always pays for new drivers, either implicitly or
explicitly: snip See, support - it's the same everywhere.

So I see your point in theory but in practice where's the proof?

If the money doesn't come from the customers then where does
it come from? Do the stock holders pay for product support?

You always _pay_ for what you get, you have to, no one else will.

Not too difficult to pay a few programmers to update a driver for millions
of customers you want to keep.

--
Philippe Boite
http://philippe.boite.free.fr

Old March 16th 04, 09:01 PM
Nick Zentena

Philippe Boite wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" a ?crit dans le message de
ink.net...
Bill Hinton:
Nicholas Lindan
The customer always pays for new drivers, either implicitly or
explicitly: snip See, support - it's the same everywhere.

So I see your point in theory but in practice where's the proof?

If the money doesn't come from the customers then where does
it come from? Do the stock holders pay for product support?

You always _pay_ for what you get, you have to, no one else will.

Not too difficult to pay a few programmers to update a driver for millions
of customers you want to keep.

So you're offering?

Nick
Old March 17th 04, 12:23 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Philippe Boite" wrote

You always _pay_ for what you get, you have to, no one else will.

Not too difficult to pay a few programmers to update a driver for millions
of customers you want to keep.

And where does that pay, whatever it's amount come, from?

And what's this "millions of customers"? Try a few hundred.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio