Market for LF gear?

Old April 9th 05, 08:32 PM
No One

Of course a new toyo + processor + a couple of lens + loader + a mountain
of film + chemicals costs less than a 1ds mark2 body alone, but thats
off-topic.

I suppose it would cost less than half a 1Ds.

I have a 1Ds and use it sparingly - prefer the tried and true spontaneity of
the Deardorff.

Old April 17th 05, 07:45 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 03:01:14 GMT, Gregory Blank

I don't get enthralled with new stuff any more.

apr1705 from Lloyd Erlick,

Lately (well, for a long time now ...) I've only felt that thrill from
a picture I've made that somehow comes up to what have become my
ridiculously high standards. Nothing at all to do with equipment. I
have to see a real person in a portrait, don't ask me why it's even
possible.

Being enthralled with new gear is just purchasing a thrill. Buying
excitement doesn't work for me any more, I'm afraid. I guess I'm just
getting ... old.

Right now I'd be not only thrilled but tickled to be rid of this
expletive-deleted cold. Honk.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326
email:
net:
www.heylloyd.com
________________________________

Old April 17th 05, 07:56 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:13:09 -0500, rafe bustin
wrote:

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 06:55:17 -0600, "jjs" wrote:

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
. ..

OK, anyone have a swag at how many
4x5" and/or 8x10" view cameras are in
active service, in the USA and the
rest of the "developed world?"

How many square meters of dollars are you willing to spend to know the
answer, Rafe?

Fair question. Right now, none.

Interesting how not one reply on this
thread has yet to respond with the
requested guess.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

apr1705 from Lloyd Erlick,

A start on estimating this number could be had from merely examining
this newsgroup. How many people are participating in discussing large
format photography in this newsgroup alone?

Recently there was a comment on one of the rec.photo groups to the
effect that this group has become moribund. Obviously not an accurate
statement. I mostly use medium format film, so I don't post here very
often, hence my tardy responses.

regards,
--le
________________________________

Old April 18th 05, 11:56 AM
Gregory Blank

Lloyd Erlick Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com wrote:

Right now I'd be not only thrilled but tickled to be rid of this
expletive-deleted cold. Honk.

Rest, Vitamin C, V-8 ,Glasses of Water....maybe an aspirin.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old April 26th 05, 06:25 PM
Bandicoot

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:54:28 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[SNIP]
Just curious, being ignorant of scanning backs: just how long does a
scan take (say for 4x5)? I'm guessing 5-10 seconds.

Or longer, I'd guess, but it would
clearly depend on available light,
lens aperture, and desired S/N ratio.

Not all subjects would work for this,
of course. But really, aren't (or
weren't) long exposures par for the
course with LF?

Rough guess, about 30% of my landscape
pix would have been possible even
with a 15 sec. exposure.

Blur (from the wind, usually) due to a long exposure is different from blur
due to a scan, which is more like using a focal plane shutter with a very
narrow slit, but a really slow time to move across the film. Different
look, different problems. I _think_ the blur you get in wind blown grass,
say, that can look quite nice with a long exposure, might not look so good
with a scanning back. Interesting experiment for someone there...

Peter

Old April 26th 05, 06:28 PM
Bandicoot

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:15:59 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[SNIP]

I dare say, there is a crying need for
someone like Nikon, Minolta or Canon
(or that calibre) to make an up-to-date
and affordable LF film scanner.

There's a huge opening between the Epson
4870/4990 and the drum scanner and
Creo/Scitex class machines ($5K to $15K
and up.)

I don't know - given what a good medium format film scanner costs, and
assuming that a LF one costs more to make per se, and then (a lot) more
still due to having (even) smaller production and sales volumes, I'm not
sure that there is much scope to produce them to sell at very far below your
$5k figure. Sure it would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

:-(

Peter

Old April 26th 05, 06:39 PM
Bandicoot

"rafe bustin" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:53:51 GMT, Gregory Blank
wrote:

So your idea is to use the CIS bars, in a 3 set to obtain
a RGB image,....wouldn't that be a rather large piece
of hardware to carry?

No, CIS would work for monochrome capture
only, I don't see any easy way to adapt it
for RGB capture in a camera.

Several early digital backs simply took three pictures through coloured
filters - I'd think that would work here too, though it makes the whole
process 3.nX as long, of course (where n is about moving bars back to the
start and switching filters).

Peter

Old April 27th 05, 02:03 AM
rafe bustin

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:39:49 +0100, "Bandicoot"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

So your idea is to use the CIS bars, in a 3 set to obtain
a RGB image,....wouldn't that be a rather large piece
of hardware to carry?

No, CIS would work for monochrome capture
only, I don't see any easy way to adapt it
for RGB capture in a camera.

Several early digital backs simply took three pictures through coloured
filters - I'd think that would work here too, though it makes the whole
process 3.nX as long, of course (where n is about moving bars back to the
start and switching filters).

Given that the exposure time is already huge,
having to triple the value would be too
painful, I think. Not to mention too much
physical motion, ie., three passes.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com