Arsat-Kiev/Zeiss-Rollei side-by-side fisheye photos

Old April 29th 04, 04:45 PM
jjs

Default Arsat-Kiev/Zeiss-Rollei side-by-side fisheye photos

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"jjs" wrote:

Let's all chip in and buy Stacey a new monitor and video card.

That would make things much less fun...

Let's really mess her up and send her a Mac G5.

Old April 30th 04, 03:57 AM
Stacey

Neil Gould wrote:

These differences in our opinion about this one are fascinating! To me,
the Distagon clearly shows the cables attached to the cranes, whereas the
Arsat starts to lose it on the lower crane. The effect of the chroma
spreading is apparent on the Arsat's rendering of the foreground cables
attached to the ship (the lowest pair that dips down)......

I looked carefully at everything you pointed out and can't for the life of
me see any of what you're talking about. Guess that's a good thing? :-)

Then again the milk bottle images don't look pixalated on my monitor after
they load. I'm looking at this on a linux box so maybe what's showing on
the screen looks different?
--

Stacey
Old April 30th 04, 04:03 AM
oranewbie

Excellent job Jim!
I wish comparisons were presented more often like this. Sure, you
lose alot by viewing them on the web, but you can still see the
noticeable differences. I'm suprised that Bob dude hasn't chimed in
yet
I know he has a test at his site comparing a number of lenses, but
there aren't any photos posted to back up anything.
I've got nothing against the kiev lenses, from what I've seen of them.
The only reason I shoot hassy and not kiev is because of the
questionable bodies, but not the lenses.
Old April 30th 04, 11:51 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, Stacey posted:

Neil Gould wrote:

These differences in our opinion about this one are fascinating! To
me, the Distagon clearly shows the cables attached to the cranes,
whereas the Arsat starts to lose it on the lower crane. The effect
of the chroma spreading is apparent on the Arsat's rendering of the
foreground cables attached to the ship (the lowest pair that dips
down)......

I looked carefully at everything you pointed out and can't for the
life of me see any of what you're talking about. Guess that's a good
thing? :-)

That depends on whether you have a better box for editing your images!
;-)

Then again the milk bottle images don't look pixalated on my monitor
after they load. I'm looking at this on a linux box so maybe what's
showing on the screen looks different?

Browsers do render images differently, different monitor/video card
combinations (and even different drivers for the same hardware) can also
affect how images are rendered. My on-line systems are not as
sophisticated as my graphics systems, but are good enough that these
differences are easy to see, even at the thumbnail size for some images.
It might be interesting to know whether others are seeing these
differences (and in the same way), as well.

Neil

Old May 1st 04, 01:37 AM
Bob Monaghan

Yes, an interesting test; not sure if I am the "Bob dude" you mean, but if
you are referring to my blind lens tests the whole point of my methodology
of mailing out actual first generation slides taken by each lens under
similar conditions is to avoid issues with comparisons with limited
resolution web images seen on different size and types of screens and
clobbered by web browsers etc ;-) (http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/blindresults.html)

but that said, these photos do seem to support my conclusions from blind
lens testing, namely, that the differences between images are much smaller
and more subtle than the rather larger differences in price between these
MF optics ;-)

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old May 6th 04, 10:36 PM
Roman J. Rohleder

Jim Hemenway schrieb:

I recently bought a couple of fisheye lenses for 6x6 (120) use and I
thought that some or all of you would be interested in the following
side-by-side fisheye photos taken with the Arsat 30mm on a Kiev 60, and
the Zeiss F-Distagon 30mm on a Rollei 6008i.

Jim, you did what many people asked for and wondered about. Thanks a
lot!

I guess exposure values are the same for both setups, but could you
give a bit more detail - did you use a tripod for both cameras, and
more important, at what apertures did you set them?

These lenses are what makes a Kiev setup attractive - wide angles,
Shift and Shift/Tilt lenses.

Jim

Gruss, Roman
--
"A man should always keep two things in mind:
one is that he is a fool; the other is that he is going to die."