Panasonic Cameras and Windows XP

Old December 24th 04, 12:10 AM
js

Default Panasonic Cameras and Windows XP

I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 and I want to use the Windows XP Scanner and
Camera Wizard to download and manage photos from the camera. I haven't been
able to get this to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the camera.
I can only download from the camera using the bundled Panasonic software
which I don't like.
Has anyone been able to use the Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard with
Panasonic cameras?
Thanks,
John

Old December 24th 04, 03:26 AM
Ken

"js" wrote in message ...
I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 and I want to use the Windows XP Scanner and
Camera Wizard to download and manage photos from the camera. I haven't been
able to get this to work. It doesn't seem to recognise the camera.
I can only download from the camera using the bundled Panasonic software
which I don't like.
Has anyone been able to use the Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard with
Panasonic cameras?

I hadn't tried it with my FZ20 until you raised the question. After plugging in the USB
cable and then turning the camera on, XP popped up a bubble that informed me that
it had found new hardware and did its thing. After that the action window popped up
and I selected the Scanner and Camera Wizard and it worked as expected. So, in
conclusion, I am not experiencing the same problem as you are with a combination
of my Panasonic FZ20 and Windows XP. Wish I could recommend something but
wouldn't know where to start.

Ken

Old December 24th 04, 04:43 AM
js

Thanks Ken. Looks like the FZ20 and the 3 behave differently.
I also have a Canon Powershot that makes Windows automatically load its
Scanner and Camera wizard to download the pics when the camera is connected.
I pefer the Windows software for managing this procedure rather than the
Panasonic software.

John

Old December 26th 04, 01:27 AM
js

I solved this problem .... I switched the setting in the camera from usb to
pictbridge and now Windows scanner and camera wizard activates when I
connect the camera.
Don't know why this should be, but it works.

Old December 28th 04, 05:16 PM
Michael Meissner

"js" writes:

I solved this problem .... I switched the setting in the camera from usb to
pictbridge and now Windows scanner and camera wizard activates when I
connect the camera.
Don't know why this should be, but it works.

I believe the USB setting has the camera behaving as a removable disk (USB mass
storage), while Pictbridge tells the camera to use the older PTP protocol,
which I imagine the camera and scanner wizard uses.

--
Michael Meissner
email: