lens caps ?

Old February 8th 04, 04:23 AM
Richard Knoppow

Default lens caps ?

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
om...
"Victor Bazarov" wrote in

message
news:Hw%Tb.212260$I06.2361296@attbi_s01...
"James Dunn" wrote...
Most of the used LF lenses listed on ebay don't seem

to have lens caps.
Do most LF photographers not use them ? What to use

instead?
I have an Angulon 90. If I get a plastic push on type

should
I order it undersized and assume it'll stretch to fit

?

I am in no way an experienced LF photographer or should

be taken as
an example, but so far I have one lens living on my

camera (it's
a Crown, so it's folded most of the time thus keeping

the lens away
from harm), one that has some kind of plastic covers

made from either
bottle caps or jar lids and one lens that lives in a

Ziploc(tm) bag
unless is on the camera... I guess I never had time or

desire to
change this situation, so I learned to live with it :-)

That makes me curious. Who buys the lenses that eventually

shows up on eBay
or in the used equipment counter? :- Seems to me they all

came with caps at
one time, yes?

Just about all lenses come with caps and always have. They
get lost through carelessness. Replacements are available
ranging from cheap plastic ones to custom made metal caps.
Both Kodak and Wollensak supplied metal caps for their
better lenses. I try to find caps for all of mine and have
caps for most. Lenses which are not on a camera all the time
should have both front and back caps. Caps are cheap
insurance.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 8th 04, 11:15 AM
BCampbell

I'm not familiar with the Coast version of this product but I've been using
filter wallets made by LowePro I believe it is for many years. They come in
various capacities ranging from maybe four filters to twelve filters. The
filters slip into little "pouches" the fronts of which are some sort of
clear plastic material. I haven't had any problems with the filters.

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
(jjs) wrote:

In article

,
Bob Salomon wrote:

In article ,
(Ken Smith) wrote:

I have a red peanut butter cap on my Fuji 6x9. Very hard plastic,
perfect
fit. The grocery store is loaded with caps. Be sure to take your

lens with
you, and for some reason they don't like you taking pictures

there, so
be
sneaky if you are doing a Winogrand on the side.

Ken Smith

And should there be plasticisers in that cap that migrate to the glass
on your lens be prepared to throw the lens away. But you did save

$7.00
to $13.00 ($13.00 is list price for a 120mm lens cap).

Got any authoritative sources concerning this issue? What are these
plasticisers and how long can a lens survive them. Are they anything

like
the plastic storage/contact sheet holders that were used for film in the
sixties?

Yes, the most authoritive kind. I had a set of Rollei Bay VI filters -
including 2 Softars in a Coast Filter Wallet. This item gave off
plasticisers which migrated to all of the filters in the wallet (9). All
of the filters had to be thrown away. The owner of Coast would not
accept any resposibility for putting out such an item in the photo
market.

A word of advice, make sure your lenses are properrly protected. the
cost is very low. And I bought what had been marketed as a photo item -
even though it was a budget version.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old February 8th 04, 01:10 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"BCampbell" wrote:

I'm not familiar with the Coast version of this product but I've been using
filter wallets made by LowePro I believe it is for many years. They come in
various capacities ranging from maybe four filters to twelve filters. The
filters slip into little "pouches" the fronts of which are some sort of
clear plastic material. I haven't had any problems with the filters.

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
(jjs) wrote:

In article

,
Bob Salomon wrote:

In article ,
(Ken Smith) wrote:

[...]

I have not heard of any problem with the LowePro cases. My experience
was limited to the Coast which ruined filters and the original Domke
(before Jim Domke sold his business to Saunders and with a later one
made by Saunders before they sold out to Tiffen).

The advantage to the Coast was price and size and availability. It was
inexpensive and large enough to hold Bay VI filters and in stock at the
store I was in.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old February 8th 04, 07:25 PM
Ken Smith

(jjs) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bob Salomon wrote:

In article ,
(jjs) wrote:

And should there be plasticisers in that cap that migrate to the glass
on your lens be prepared to throw the lens away. But you did save $7.00
to $13.00 ($13.00 is list price for a 120mm lens cap).

Got any authoritative sources concerning this issue? What are these
plasticisers and how long can a lens survive them. Are they anything like
the plastic storage/contact sheet holders that were used for film in the
sixties?

Yes, the most authoritive kind. I had a set of Rollei Bay VI filters -
including 2 Softars in a Coast Filter Wallet. This item gave off
plasticisers which migrated to all of the filters in the wallet (9). All
of the filters had to be thrown away. The owner of Coast would not
accept any resposibility for putting out such an item in the photo
market.

What a nightmare! Thanks for the good warning.

Oh sure, another thing to worry over based on "it happened to me"
as an substitute for an actual scientific analysis of one plastics
migration potential vs. another. A good hard commercial grade plastic
food item cap is about as likely to effect your lens, as leaving it by
the TV. But I don't know such things for sure. If anyone does have
verifiable information, I would sure appreciate it more than the isolated
incident mentioned. And please, if you're going to point something out
to someone, try to refrain from the smug sarcasm. This usenet thing
often makes your average decent guy speak to strangers with the most
odd mix of familiarity and dismisal as I've ever seen. Ready, set,...
attack!!!
Old February 9th 04, 01:04 AM
Bob Monaghan

Hi Bob,

There are lots of concerns here; you are talking about a product marked
for photographic use with glass filters, not some substitute. This product
was marketed and sold by very knowledgeable staffers and users (ahem) and
a pro photo store to customers. The photo product mfger did not stand
behind the product or make good on the damage done to users and buyers per
your experience and note. I don't see how any of us can feel better by
avoiding home-made items when a specific photo product, sold by pro stores
and knowledgeable staffers/users, resulted in such damage and you/others
were left with damaged expensive glass/filter losses. The same may well be
true of other brands of photo cases, caps, and so on - we will only find
out the hard way, as you did, right?

I don't know of many cases or examples of lens damage by plasticizers, so
this was very interesting. I track various forms of lens faults and damage
(see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfaultsp.html) and this is the first case I
can recall w.r.t. a plasticizer. Sorry it happened to you!

But if we can't trust pro shop photo products, what can we trust?

bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
Old February 9th 04, 02:29 AM
MikeWhy

"Bob Monaghan" wrote in message
But if we can't trust pro shop photo products, what can we trust?

Smith & Wesson? (Sorry. It sounded like a TV ad. :-)