Canon Digital Rebel: Reliability Question

Old January 1st 05, 04:38 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Canon Digital Rebel: Reliability Question

About 3 weeks ago, my Digital Rebel--which I had owned barely a month (but
had bought used at Fred Miranda)--it broke. It was the secondary mirror. As
I bought it used, I had to pay to have it fixed. It's still not done, the
local shop fixing it is waiting for the part from Canon to arrive. (They
will charge $135 or so, Canon would've been $200 or so.)

Thing is, this experience has left me upset, and I've heard from a number of
other DR users who've had the exact same thing happen to them also--and
between it all, I'm considering selling the DR when I get it back and
getting a D70. Before I get the flames, let me explain--I'm not being
anti-Canon, and in fact I was very excited when I got the camera. Moving
into D-SLR territory was truly exciting for me, and I was delighted to get
the DR--even though I'd used Nikon for years.

But after this, I don't know. Does this mean I've purchaed a lemon? Or is
this just "one of those things" not necessarily a harbinger of more bad
things to come? What are your guys' experiences?

Thoughts?

LRH