Another Canon v Nikon Question WA Combo

Old December 11th 04, 10:24 PM
Marty

Default Another Canon v Nikon Question WA Combo

I have no DSLR equipment at present. I now need real WA and have been
narrowed down to the following which run about $2000 - $2100 for each
combo. Any opinions or experience?

1. Canon 20D with Canon 10-22mm F3.5/4.5

2. Nikon D70 with 12-24mm F4

I lean towards the Nikon combo only because the lens will be available
for use on a better body if I can some day afford one. The Canon lens
I know will not work with 1.3 or 1.0 sensor cameras and Nikon seems to
be sticking with the 1.5 for all.

Probably I need to handle them both to decide. I have read everything
available that I have found on each setup.

Thanks in advance.

Old December 11th 04, 10:47 PM
leo

"Marty" wrote in message
I have no DSLR equipment at present. I now need real WA and have been
narrowed down to the following which run about $2000 - $2100 for each
combo. Any opinions or experience?

1. Canon 20D with Canon 10-22mm F3.5/4.5

2. Nikon D70 with 12-24mm F4

I lean towards the Nikon combo only because the lens will be available
for use on a better body if I can some day afford one. The Canon lens
I know will not work with 1.3 or 1.0 sensor cameras and Nikon seems to
be sticking with the 1.5 for all.

Probably I need to handle them both to decide. I have read everything
available that I have found on each setup.

Thanks in advance.

Canon is going to stick with 1.6x for the x0D series. It's going to be easy
to unload any EF-S lenses if you do upgrade eventually. Not many people can
afford the xD class cameras so the price of the EF-S lenses should be
stable.

Old December 11th 04, 11:06 PM
bob

Marty wrote in
:

I have no DSLR equipment at present. I now need real WA and have been

Canon v. Nikon.

I like Nikon in general because they seem to think more about the big
picutre, and because their picture is bigger than Canon.

They have more lenses to choose from, etc.

Canon, on the other hand, seems to have choosen a slightly smaller
picture, but aimed to do it just as well, but at a lower cost.

There doesn't seem to be much point to it, but if I had a D70, I could
mount the 30 year old 50mm lens that I use as a loupe.

Based on the small sample of Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses I've used
over the years, I like Nikon stuff better; I think they think things
through a little more. Canon, otoh, seems to be a bit more innovative.

But the Nikon stuff costs more. If the Canon kit you specified does
everything you need, and if you will have no need for any other
lenses/accessories, then 10mm sound cooler than 12.

It's kind of like Toyota v. Honda (Toyota being Nikon).

Bob

--
Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

Old December 12th 04, 12:42 AM
Marty

Thanks Leo and Bob. They both have the same FOV as the sensor ratio
makes up for the 2mm. I too have had Nikons and Canons in the far
past. In fact I had Leicas (M-3's and M-4's) and I am so old I started
with a Speed Graphic 4x5 on the street. The Canon 20D costs $500 more
than the D70 and the Nikkor costs almost $300 more than the Canon
lens. So, the cost is not too different. As far as what I plan to add
in the not too distant future, I would say a short macro/micro. The
60mm F2.8 Nikkor is really fine and would give me a 90mm equivalent
which I could use. I could put one on a future D200 and keep the other
on the D70. Looks more like Nikon is the way to go for me.

Thanks again to both of you.

Marty