full frame 35mm display

Old March 31st 04, 05:28 AM

Default full frame 35mm display

I was wondering what is the most common method if displaying gallery work
for
35mm full frame prints? I have seen some mat cuts where the window is just
outside
the 35mm print border? is this a common way of displaying 35mm full frame
prints when
you're doing mats? thanks.

k.

Old March 31st 04, 01:12 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"k" wrote

I was wondering what is the most common method if displaying gallery work
for 35mm full frame prints?

The same as for displaying any other print.

If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old March 31st 04, 01:55 PM
jjs

In article . net,
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote:

If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

Maybe it is time we lowered our standards in order to make a few bucks as
social security goes bankrupt. Let's market some matts with
pre-printed raggy edges and sprocket holes.
Old March 31st 04, 09:33 PM
Martin Francis

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
ink.net...
If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

UN-common?

--
Martin Francis

--- this space left intentionally blunt ---

Old March 31st 04, 10:14 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"k" wrote in message gers.com...
I was wondering what is the most common method if displaying gallery work
for
35mm full frame prints? I have seen some mat cuts where the window is just
outside
the 35mm print border? is this a common way of displaying 35mm full frame
prints when
you're doing mats? thanks.

k.

Print with clean white boders. Use a masking neg carrier. Forget this
crap. Don't take crap from photo instructors. Think for yourself.
Old March 31st 04, 10:14 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Martin Francis" m wrote

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote
If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

UN-common?

Yes: Pick up a book of photographs, open a magazine, go to a
gallery, a museum and count: with black border Vs without
black border.

Just a thought exercise: which do you think will be
the more common?

Black borders were first done to be UN-common: not like the
crowd.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old April 1st 04, 04:44 AM
Paul Schmidt

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Martin Francis" m wrote

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote

If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

UN-common?

Yes: Pick up a book of photographs, open a magazine, go to a
gallery, a museum and count: with black border Vs without
black border.

Just a thought exercise: which do you think will be
the more common?

Black borders were first done to be UN-common: not like the
crowd.

Actually I think Ilford invented the black border, Cibachrome prints
done with a blank border means a black border rather then a white one.
Some folks thought it was cool, and could be done with Negative prints,
simply by putting something over the exposed print raising the easel
border, and then giving it double tim exposure under the enlarger with
no negative in the carrier. Burns the border in wonderful black.

I always thought with the rich colour saturation of Cibachrome prints,
the black border looked better, with the lower colour saturation of
negative prints the white border looked better, but that's just my opinion.

Paul

Old April 1st 04, 04:44 AM
street shooter

"k" wrote in message gers.com...
I was wondering what is the most common method if displaying gallery work
for
35mm full frame prints? I have seen some mat cuts where the window is just
outside
the 35mm print border? is this a common way of displaying 35mm full frame
prints when
you're doing mats? thanks.

k.

Too common if you ask me. It was probably kind of innovative when the
photographer who did this first presented a new style. Now, this
"alternative" has been copied into a trite presentation style. I
print full frame (9" X 13.5") and cut my mats so that they just barely
cover the edges. It takes longer to position prints this way, but it
is worth it to get the exact look I intend.

Michael
Old April 1st 04, 05:29 AM
Peter Irwin

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Paul Schmidt wrote:

Actually I think Ilford invented the black border, Cibachrome prints
done with a blank border means a black border rather then a white one.

I think it predates Cibachrome by quite a long way. I've got a book
"Miniature Photography" by Richard Simon published in 1937 in which
the author explains how he prints dark borders on his prints.
After making an enlargement, take a piece of card the size of the
print minus the border and place it on the enlarging paper and expose
the edges with a pocket flashlight or the enlarger with negative
removed.

Some folks thought it was cool, and could be done with Negative prints,
simply by putting something over the exposed print raising the easel
border, and then giving it double tim exposure under the enlarger with
no negative in the carrier. Burns the border in wonderful black.

It can look cool if well done, but it certainly predates Cibabchrome
by many years.

Peter.

Old April 1st 04, 06:09 AM
jjs

In article , Paul Schmidt
wrote:

Actually I think Ilford invented the black border [...]

More likely Robinson Crusoe.