Macbook review from an exclusive lifetime Windows user

Old May 29th 20, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
geoff

Default Macbook review from an exclusive lifetime Windows user

On 29/05/2020 1:47 pm, Savageduck wrote:
On May 28, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

One thing I use regularly on the Mac that I find a pain of a PC is capturing a specific part of the screen.
Just cmd-shift-4 and I can select any part of the screen and it save the file to the desktop. Its quicker than even saving a photo at a reduced resolution of so
to send to facebook, where quality isn't a priority.

Yup! Screen, Window, or Area captures with a Mac are simple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

That is somehow easier that WinKey+Shift+S ?

geoff
Old May 29th 20, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On May 28, 2020, geoff wrote
(in ):

On 29/05/2020 1:47 pm, Savageduck wrote:
On May 28, 2020, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

One thing I use regularly on the Mac that I find a pain of a PC is capturing a specific part of the screen.
Just cmd-shift-4 and I can select any part of the screen and it save the file to the desktop. Its quicker than even saving a photo at a reduced resolution of so
to send to facebook, where quality isn't a priority.

Yup! Screen, Window, or Area captures with a Mac are simple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

That is somehow easier that WinKey+Shift+S ?

geoff

Similar idea. ;-)

Savageduck

Old May 29th 20, 05:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , geoff
wrote:

One thing I use regularly on the Mac that I find a pain of a PC is
capturing a specific part of the screen.
Just cmd-shift-4 and I can select any part of the screen and it save the
file to the desktop. Its quicker than even saving a photo at a reduced
resolution of so
to send to facebook, where quality isn't a priority.

Yup! Screen, Window, or Area captures with a Mac are simple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

That is somehow easier that WinKey+Shift+S ?

not just easier, but also more capable, and with third party utilities,
*significantly* so.

for some reason, that link does not mention the new screenshot toolbar:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721
Old May 30th 20, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-05-27 18:53, Bill W wrote:

Finally, the OS: This was my biggest concern - learning something completely
new. For anyone else who has thought about it, it’s really nothing at all
if you are willing to spend some time learning it. There are separate user
guides for both the hardware and MacOS, and they are very clear and helpful.
And what I’ve learned as I go along is that you can Google any questions
you have, and there is lots of very direct help out there. I would just
Google "Alt-Tab on a MAC”, and then any other keyboard shortcut I always
use, and I can now get things done at least as easily as on Windows. So
anything I need to do, I just Google it. And speaking of Windows, it appears
to be pretty easy to install Windows with Boot Camp, and I believe that
Windows is now effectively free, but there are enough apps for Apple out
there that I might never bother doing that.

Don't waste time with Boot Camp. Install a virtualizer like VMWare
Fusion or Parallels and have both OS' at the same time. You can drag
and drop files between the two, you can "share" folders (directories), etc.

Indeed you can have several versions of Windows and several versions of
Linux and several versions of other OS' all installed and run one or
several at the same time. (This is capability as opposed to necessity).

Point being, Boot Camp on Mac OS is a terrible idea for most things
other than gaming.

the x86 is _designed_ for VM's.
Mac OS is _designed_ to support VM's.

So use it and be happier.

(When I moved to Mac back in 2008 this is one of the first things I
added after MS Office).

The main negative so far is network connections. My PC’s will not find the
MacBook, and the MB sometimes loses the entire Network section in the Finder
app. When I do connect, it works great, but I need to look further into it.
And finally, the most general negative I’ve heard stated about MacOS is
that if you want it, you are stuck with Apple hardware, and during those
periods when their hardware just sucks (butterfly keyboard?), you are
screwed, ignoring Hackintoshes.

No issues here and in extremis you can always use any USB or wireless
keyboard.
Old May 30th 20, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-05-27 20:04, RichA wrote:

There is no one more vociferous about alcoholism than a reformed drunk.

A drunk is sober in the morning.
You're a jackass 24/7.

Old May 31st 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 30, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-05-27 18:53, Bill W wrote:

[...]

I’ll keep all that in mind, but for now, I still haven’t found any need
forWindows. But I did hear that VM’s slow Windows down. Have you noticed
that?

Old May 31st 20, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

Don't waste time with Boot Camp. Install a virtualizer like VMWare
Fusion or Parallels and have both OS' at the same time. You can drag
and drop files between the two, you can "share" folders (directories), etc.

Indeed you can have several versions of Windows and several versions of
Linux and several versions of other OS' all installed and run one or
several at the same time. (This is capability as opposed to necessity).

Point being, Boot Camp on Mac OS is a terrible idea for most things
other than gaming.

the x86 is _designed_ for VM's.
Mac OS is _designed_ to support VM's.

So use it and be happier.

(When I moved to Mac back in 2008 this is one of the first things I
added after MS Office).

Ill keep all that in mind, but for now, I still havent found any need
forWindows.

other than custom stuff, there's almost nothing that's only on windows
without an equivalent (and usually better) option on mac.

But I did hear that VMs slow Windows down. Have you noticed
that?

nothing that's measurable, except for hardcore graphics. gaming won't
work too well, but normal stuff definitely will.
Old May 31st 20, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 30, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

Don't waste time with Boot Camp. Install a virtualizer like VMWare
Fusion or Parallels and have both OS' at the same time. You can drag
and drop files between the two, you can "share" folders (directories), etc.

Indeed you can have several versions of Windows and several versions of
Linux and several versions of other OS' all installed and run one or
several at the same time. (This is capability as opposed to necessity).

Point being, Boot Camp on Mac OS is a terrible idea for most things
other than gaming.

the x86 is _designed_ for VM's.
Mac OS is _designed_ to support VM's.

So use it and be happier.

(When I moved to Mac back in 2008 this is one of the first things I
added after MS Office).

I¹ll keep all that in mind, but for now, I still haven¹t found any need
forWindows.

other than custom stuff, there's almost nothing that's only on windows
without an equivalent (and usually better) option on mac.

But I did hear that VM¹s slow Windows down. Have you noticed
that?

nothing that's measurable, except for hardcore graphics. gaming won't
work too well, but normal stuff definitely will.

Can I do a VM/Win10 install on an external SSD? It appears it can be done
with boot camp.

Old May 31st 20, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

Can I do a VM/Win10 install on an external SSD?

a vm guest can be anywhere you want it to be and can be copied to
another drive for backups or to save a particular version or whatever.

It appears it can be done
with boot camp.

not without a lot of hassle. windows *really* doesn't like booting off
external media.
Old May 31st 20, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On May 30, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

[...]

That’s what I’ve found so far, and the main reason I haven’t installed
Windows. That was originally the first thing I planned to do. I can
understand, though, that some people wouldn’t want to spend the time
finding good replacements, and then learning the new app.