AGAIN, please critique

Old March 8th 05, 10:11 AM
crazylikedat

Default AGAIN, please critique

Hi all...

I took heed to all of the great info that I was given last week,
especially about my large gallery full of "cruft" wasting everyone's
time. I spent the weekend reading up on photo editing and have been
working non-stop ever since. (My husband may commit me as he
should...it is 4:00 AM my time and I have done little else!!!)

I have 16 photos in my gallery that I think are much better. Even my
favorites turned out better with a little tweeking.

I would appreciate it if you guys could look at my much smaller gallery
and give me the same brutal honesty as last time - yes, I am a glutton
for punishment!! I think I have improved given the good critiques that
I received last time. I can only get better, right?

http://www.pbase.com/crazylikedat/galleries

Again, thanks to Larry, Marvin, Bob, Derek, News Guy Mike, Sheldon,
Frank, Ben, Krystian and Rudy for all the great advice.

Tanya

Old March 8th 05, 02:03 PM
Beano

Unimaginative subject matter and framing throughout. Extremely average,
almost pedestrian, I'd say.

Old March 8th 05, 04:53 PM
Larry

In article MPG.1c9770351d492a4a9896a7@shawnews, says...
In article .com,
says...
[...]

Other than the fact that a couple are out of focus, I think they're all
great. Ignore any comments from idiots (Beano, for instance...let's see
his pictures...).

Anyway, nice work...

Drude

Loved the BARN (00400) It looks like a calendar shot to me..

As before, the shots could be a little brighter, but they only need a TOUCH,
not a slam.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Old March 8th 05, 05:34 PM
Big Bill

On 8 Mar 2005 02:11:16 -0800, "crazylikedat"
wrote:

[...]

The only comment I'll make is this:
If you're going to present a gallery for critique, don't open the
gallery with a pic such as DSC_0234. It's so fuzzy that it hurts, and
it gives a very bad first impression.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 8th 05, 06:25 PM
Roy

Hi, Not too bad.

The Sunset (0234), the cow, the barn door, and both owls, need a bit more
contrast to wake them up, and they will become much better, almost very
good.

Some of the others you need to think a little bit more about what the
subject of the picture actually is. The ones with the Silhouetted trees in
particular. They look Ok as Thumbnails, but when you get to see all the
detail, there is no real subject there.

As a photographic judge on the Camera Club circuit, none of them would get
the maximum 20, but that won't be a surprise. Most would be in the 14 to 16
area, which is "competent average". A few would be 12s.

Having said all of that, you have to be your own judge. Are they as good as
you want? I suspect not.

Really look at them and decide which parts you don't like, and also try to
figure out which bits you do like. Also take every opportunity you have, to
look at other peoples photos, and apply the same criterion to them. When
you are taking photos remember those decisions, and try to apply them.

Progress in photography, is not a smooth slope, it is more like a series of
steps. You will find that one of your crop of pictures is suddenly much
better than the rest. You will work more carefully and more of your pictures
will be up to that higher standard, then suddenly again, one will be even
better.

The advice about dumping "Crap" is very sound. Everyone takes a fair number
of "Rubbish" pictures, and in the old days of film, to get 2 really top
class Photos (18, 19, 20 markers) from any one Film was well above average.

If you want to get back at/to me, please feel free to have a look at my
stuff, and give me your honest opinion. No matter how unkind you are, worse
has already been said. http://homepages.tesco.net/~roy.gibson1/

Roy G

oups.com...