Omega D2 Enlarger Question

Old March 4th 04, 02:04 PM
T R

Default Omega D2 Enlarger Question

I have two questions about Light Multiplier/Mixing Chambers for the Omega
D2 4x5 Enlarger.

First of all, there are three types of mixing chambers available according
to negative format: 4x5, 6x6 and 35mm. If my aim were to use all three
formats, must I have a separate mixing chamber for each, or would a larger
mixing chamber also cover the smaller formats (i.e., 4x5 covers all three
formats)?

"Common sense" tells me that the 4x5 mixing chamber would work just as well
for all three, since it provides a suitable area of illumination for all
three. But does common sense break down in this scenario?

Second question: The diffusing "lense" in the mixing chamber seems to be
nothing more than a square piece of white, translucent plastic. In the old
enlarger I'm trying to restore, the plastic appears to be a bit shiny and
slightly more "clear" in the center, which leads me to believe that it
would create a "hot spot" in a 4x5 print. If I must replace this part,
could you suggest an economical source? Would frosted glass do better?

Thanks,
Trad

Old March 4th 04, 02:23 PM
Nick Zentena

T R wrote:
I have two questions about Light Multiplier/Mixing Chambers for the Omega
D2 4x5 Enlarger.

First of all, there are three types of mixing chambers available according
to negative format: 4x5, 6x6 and 35mm. If my aim were to use all three
formats, must I have a separate mixing chamber for each, or would a larger
mixing chamber also cover the smaller formats (i.e., 4x5 covers all three
formats)?

"Common sense" tells me that the 4x5 mixing chamber would work just as well
for all three, since it provides a suitable area of illumination for all
three. But does common sense break down in this scenario?

The bigger light box will spread out the light more. This will mean longer
print times with smaller formats. Having said that I use a 4x5 box on my
Durst enlarger with all formats. I'm sure if I had the smaller light boxes I
would get quicker times but it hasn't bothered me yet. One way to think
about it is that the 4x5 box isn't for 4x5 it's for all formats bigger then
6x6 and up to 4x5. The 6x6 fills the gap to 35mm. So clearly you can use the
light box with formats other then the one on the label.

Second question: The diffusing "lense" in the mixing chamber seems to be
nothing more than a square piece of white, translucent plastic. In the old
enlarger I'm trying to restore, the plastic appears to be a bit shiny and
slightly more "clear" in the center, which leads me to believe that it
would create a "hot spot" in a 4x5 print. If I must replace this part,
could you suggest an economical source? Would frosted glass do better?

Not sure where you're located but you could try:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/

Nick
Old March 4th 04, 02:37 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
T R wrote:

I have two questions about Light Multiplier/Mixing Chambers for the Omega
D2 4x5 Enlarger.

"D" Dichroic II, should have a DB &DD mix chamber, The DD is for 4x5
The DB is for smaller formats as it adds about a 1stop increase for brighter
focus and shorter exposure times.

The DD however works fine for smaller formats, the DB will not work for 4x5.

Second question: The diffusing "lense" in the mixing chamber seems to be
nothing more than a square piece of white, translucent plastic. In the old
enlarger I'm trying to restore, the plastic appears to be a bit shiny and
slightly more "clear" in the center, which leads me to believe that it
would create a "hot spot" in a 4x5 print. If I must replace this part,
could you suggest an economical source? Would frosted glass do better?

The part should be available through Omega, I would not use other parts
as their are alot of issues I have seen result from users improvising on this
particular item.

To contact Omega: 800-777-6634 or www.omegasatter.com
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old March 4th 04, 03:48 PM
Bruce

If my aim were to use all three
formats, must I have a separate mixing chamber for each,

No

or would a larger mixing chamber also cover the smaller formats (i.e., 4x5

covers all three formats)?

Yes

Second question: The diffusing "lense" in the mixing chamber seems to be
nothing more than a square piece of white, translucent plastic.

If you are speaking about the color head (Super Chromega D Dichroic II) the D-D
mixing chamber is discribed as having an infrfa red filter and UV absorbing
difuser. I would not change these. You may want to replace them but not
change them.

Thanks,
Trad

Hope I could help.