"The cloud" strikes again.

Old August 23rd 20, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default "The cloud" strikes again.

On Aug 23, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-08-22 13:53, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 22, 2020, Alan Browne wrote
(in article ):

On 2020-08-22 11:14, RichA wrote:
On Friday, 21 August 2020 18:51:08 UTC-4, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 21, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...t-recoverable/

Is there a lost generation that's never heard of backups?

You are right, the CLOUD COMPANY should have had backups.

I guess you didn’t bother to read beyond the headline.

The actual issue was for users of the iPad & iPhone versions of mobile Lightroom who had NOT synced their image files to Adobe Creative Cloud storage. So Adobe Creative Cloud had backups if the dumb users had bothered to sync their files to CC. If they had done so their image files would have been recoverable.

Savageduck

Technical issues, bankruptcy, hacking. All put cloud storage in-doubt. While triple redundancy sounds good, a lot of smaller companies opt for cloud systems because they don't want ANY internal infrastructure/or I.T. costs.

Unacceptable risk for any company. There's no problem with outsourcing
services, including backups, but relying on a 'cloud' solution alone
(whether for convenience or cost) is pretty dumb.

OTOH, I use cloud storage for a simple reason: convenience. All of my
active business (and much of my personal financial) data is available to
me wherever I am. But it's backed up separately and often.

Regarding Adobe, they are a software company who make utilities for
creatives. Storage is not their core expertise - it is a market access
vehicle.

No wonder they have problems.

However, Adobe isn’t having problems with Creative Cloud storage, that works just fine.

Really? Didn't they have a massive data breach last year?

We are talking about the lates two updates to Lightroom for iPad& iPhone. The one which caused the problem, and the one which fixed the problem. Through that issue Adobe didn’t have a problem with Creative Cloud storage.

The “massive data breach” last year had nothing to do with Creative Cloud storage, but certainly accessed some account data.

“massive” is subjective. Of some 60+ million subscribers 7.5 million accounts were affected.

The vulnerable data included email addresses, products subscribed to, account creation date, subscription & payment status, local time zone, member ID, time of last login, and whether or not the subscriber was an Adobe employee. that was on October 19 2019, and the database was secured the same day.
Adobe issued a statement to subscribers stating the following:

"At Adobe, we believe transparency with our customers is important. As such, we wanted to share a security update.
Late last week, Adobe became aware of a vulnerability related to work on one of our prototype environments. We promptly shut down the misconfigured environment, addressing the vulnerability.

The environment contained Creative Cloud customer information, including e-mail addresses, but did not include any passwords or financial information. This issue was not connected to, nor did it affect, the operation of any Adobe core products or services.

We are reviewing our development processes to help prevent a similar issue occurring in the future."

The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile Lightroom users who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files synced to Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

Execution means - all - of the parts working.

“Execution” Who said anything about execution?

Savageduck

Old August 23rd 20, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

Irrelevant. It's a gear in the machine. Their machine broke. Again.

The “massive data breach” last year had nothing to do with Creative Cloud storage, but certainly accessed some account data.

“massive” is subjective. Of some 60+ million subscribers 7.5 million accounts were affected.

Joseph Stalin lives on.

[...]

Execution in business is making all the parts work and delivering what
you said you would deliver in the manner you said you would deliver it.
Adobe failed and their customers lost files. Yes, the customers should
protect their own data. I've made that clear enough.

Old August 24th 20, 02:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...wipes-users-ph
otos-and-presets-adobe-says-they-are-not-recoverable/

[...]

I think some of the pros who lost all their photos might be thinking about
execution, too.

Old August 24th 20, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile Lightroom
users
who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files synced to

Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

Execution means - all - of the parts working.

Execution Who said anything about execution?

Execution in business is making all the parts work and delivering what
you said you would deliver in the manner you said you would deliver it.
Adobe failed and their customers lost files. Yes, the customers should
protect their own data. I've made that clear enough.

I think some of the pros who lost all their photos might be thinking about
execution, too.

any pros that do not have multiple backups have only themselves to
blame for their own incompetence and negligence.

meanwhile, the competition will be enjoying the added business.
Old August 24th 20, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 23, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

I seriously doubt that a single fastidious pro lost one photo. Consider the hardware involved, the iPad and the iPhone, and that those would not be the only tools available to him/her.

Then any pro who values his/her work is going to have a durable, redundant backup system.

It is the complacent, who think that everything is going to be just fine doing things the way they always have who feel betrayed when everything goes wrong and they have no backup.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 20, 04:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Aug 23, 2020, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile Lightroom
users
who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files synced to
Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

Execution means - all - of the parts working.

³Execution² Who said anything about execution?

Execution in business is making all the parts work and delivering what
you said you would deliver in the manner you said you would deliver it.
Adobe failed and their customers lost files. Yes, the customers should
protect their own data. I've made that clear enough.

I think some of the pros who lost all their photos might be thinking about
execution, too.

any pros that do not have multiple backups have only themselves to
blame for their own incompetence and negligence.

True, but you’re assuming rational thinking on their part.

Old August 24th 20, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Aug 23, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Aug 23, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
https://petapixel.com/2020/08/20/lig...e-wipes-users-
[...]

I thought that one of the earlier posts mentioned a pro who had lost all his
photos. I might be misremembering, but either way that would be one reckless
pro.

Does Hogwasher crash occasionally on your Mac?

Old August 24th 20, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

The problem reported in this thread is isolated to mobile
Lightroom
users
who had not synced their image files to Adobe CC. All files
synced to
Adobe CC remain intact, and recoverable.

Execution means - all - of the parts working.

3Execution2 Who said anything about execution?

Execution in business is making all the parts work and delivering what
you said you would deliver in the manner you said you would deliver it.
Adobe failed and their customers lost files. Yes, the customers should
protect their own data. I've made that clear enough.

I think some of the pros who lost all their photos might be thinking about
execution, too.

any pros that do not have multiple backups have only themselves to
blame for their own incompetence and negligence.

True, but youre assuming rational thinking on their part.

supposedly they're pros.
Old August 24th 20, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Aug 23, 2020, Bill W wrote
(in ternal-september.org):

Does Hogwasher crash occasionally on your Mac?

I have had a crash with Hogwasher in the past, but nothing recently. They provide pretty good support, and they will address issues and provide free fix updates.

I had a few gripes with it when I first installed it, but those have all been addressed and fixed with updates.

I have also been trying the Beta of Usenapp which has also been quite impressive, and I like it. They should have a final release ready soon.
https://www.usenapp.com

Savageduck

Old August 24th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-08-20 10:58, RichA wrote:
[...]

If they weren't making backups of their work they can hardly be called
"pro".