Cable release and neutral density filter?

Old September 13th 04, 03:58 PM
JZ

Default Cable release and neutral density filter?

Hi,

As a beginner, I wanna try a little on star trail, so I need over 30
mins exposure time. My camera is Canon 7NE. Which cable release is
good?
Also, which decent neutral density filter (55mm) is good?

Thanks!
Old September 14th 04, 06:32 PM
Bob Kirkpatrick

(JZ) wrote in message . com...
Hi,

As a beginner, I wanna try a little on star trail, so I need over 30
mins exposure time. My camera is Canon 7NE. Which cable release is
good?
Also, which decent neutral density filter (55mm) is good?

Thanks!

These are not very critical. Just go back to your Canon dealer and ask
for them. Tell him generics are fine but the filter should be coated.
If you didn't by from a dealer, get on
www.bhphotovideo.com and get a
Tiffen or Hoya filter. They will also have listings for Canon 7NE
compatible releases. A good tripod is more important.

Depending upon your film and aperture setting, you may not need an ND
filter for star trails. Bracketing the exposure helps until you find
out what works for you. There are astrophotography sites that will
have recommendations for settings. Make sure the filter and your lens
are clean.

Another issue is battery life. Most modern cameras, probably
including the 7NE, use battery power to hold the shutter open during
the entire exposure. If your manual doesn't say, you may want to do
some tests to find out how long an exposure you can get. 30 minutes
will probably work on fresh batteries but a couple of hours may not.

Old September 15th 04, 12:14 AM
Ray Creveling

If the 7NE is the same as the 7E ( I believe it is ) you have to choices.
The canon remote cable release and the Canon wireless remote. I have the
cabled model because it worked with my Elan and Rebel. I'm thinking of
switching to the wireless as I do more macro. I would just hunt around and
get the best price you can on either (B&H)

--
Ray Creveling
http://www.blackcatblog.com
"JZ" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

As a beginner, I wanna try a little on star trail, so I need over 30
mins exposure time. My camera is Canon 7NE. Which cable release is
good?
Also, which decent neutral density filter (55mm) is good?

Thanks!

---

Old September 15th 04, 02:42 PM
Al Denelsbeck

"JZ" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

As a beginner, I wanna try a little on star trail, so I need over 30
mins exposure time. My camera is Canon 7NE. Which cable release is
good?
Also, which decent neutral density filter (55mm) is good?

All of the Elan series uses the RS-60E3 remote, usually not too hard to
find. If you're into projects, you can make your own - I have a guide page
at http://wading-in.net/Remote.html. Gets the most hits out of anything else
on my site by a long shot, which is surprising since the remote from Canon
isn't expensive at all.

Or as Ray says, you can use the RC-1 remote, which is wireless infrared
and very handy. Only works from the front, but push once to open the shutter
on Bulb, once again to close, and it's easy enough to reach around from
behind the camera. Can also be used with mirror-lockup.

As for neutral density filters, they'd be of very little use for star
trails. They might assist in reducing the ambient light from city glow, but
at the same they would also diminish or eliminate the dimmer stars, which
won't look as good. With dark enough skies, there's no need for the light
reduction that an ND provides, no matter how long the exposure.

So the real goal is a very clear moonless night somewhere far away from
city lights, getting harder to do all the time.

For more fun, check out http://www.heavens-above.com. This site lists a
tremendous amount of information about the night skies and astronomy, and is
very user-friendly. Requires registration, but this is free and doesn't open
you up to spam or anything. Check out the visible satellite passes and
Iridium flares, and it can be worth it to check out the major planets and
their magnitudes before a sky shot too - some of them get overwhelmingly
bright, and a satellite trail or flare through your shot might be totally
unwanted. Or you may like the idea of having the International Space Station
crossing the field.

Good luck with it!

- Al.

--
To reply, insert a dash between "wading" and "in".
Please excuse the changed format, I'm working remotely.

Old September 21st 04, 04:00 PM
JZ

Thanks a lot to all of you!
Old September 21st 04, 04:00 PM