What is a good circular polorizer?

Old April 11th 05, 09:01 PM

Default What is a good circular polorizer?

I want to get a circular polorizer in 58mm for my V3. What is a
decent one to get? I tend to shop bhphoto if that helps.

Thanks,

Wes
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Old April 11th 05, 10:07 PM
Carl Boals

Hi Wes,
I bought this circular polarizer for my Minolta DiMage A1 about 8
months ago and have been very pleased with it.
Just browse the B&H area for Sunpak to find the right filter size for
your camera. This is a 49mm for mine.
Good luck.
Carl

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...st&A=details&Q
=&sku=185722&is=REG

I want to get a circular polorizer in 58mm for my V3. What is a
decent one to get? I tend to shop bhphoto if that helps.

Thanks,

Wes

--
Delete the "hatesspam" from the username to reply in e-mail
Old April 12th 05, 01:37 PM

Owamanga wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:01:24 -0400, wrote:

I want to get a circular polorizer in 58mm for my V3. What is a
decent one to get? I tend to shop bhphoto if that helps.

Wes, what's a V3? Some kind of German rocket-bomb?

Thankfully they didn't get to that version. Sony V3. Not sure what
cameras need linear vs circular but it sounds like circular is the one
to have.

Disclaimer: Haven't looked into this for a while, and I'm assuming
that the V3 or the 58mm really has nothing to do with it (other than
size availability). Anyway, brass threads are cool, the polarizer can
get screwed on harder than other filters (it needs to be on tight, so
it doesn't come off when you turn the front of the filter). Brass can
help prevent 'binding' of the filter onto the lens compared to other
metals.

Multi-coated is cool too. Both features will cost you more. If you are
looking at the cheaper ones, visit the shop and ask to see one. Look
through the filter at an acute angle and see if you are happy with how
bad it looks....

I agree that coating is good along with any other detail that makes it
a good filter. Just not sure what things I need to look for. I only
want to buy one. Not the one I bought first and then the one I should
have purchased. Been there and I do have the tee shirt.

Thanks,

Wes
Old April 12th 05, 07:56 PM

"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

wrote:
I want to get a circular polorizer in 58mm for my V3. What is a
decent one to get? I tend to shop bhphoto if that helps.

Thanks,

Wes

B&W is rather nice, but pricey. I don't really worry too much about it
myself. I use one very seldom so I am not willing to go above good quality.

Are you the gent that wrote "The Photographer's Guide to Using
Filters"?

I'm going with the B&W MRC.

Wes

Old April 12th 05, 07:59 PM

Michael Meissner wrote:

B+W also has a good rep. Note, both the high end Hoya and B+W polarizer
filters tend to be expensive. Another place to buy filters in The Filter
Connection: http://www.2filter.com

Thanks for the tip on website. They did a good job to explain
differences in construction. I have them bookmarked. B+H MRC seemed
like the best choice as far as price/quality.

Wes

Old April 12th 05, 08:08 PM

Owamanga wrote:

Disclaimer: Haven't looked into this for a while, and I'm assuming
that the V3 or the 58mm really has nothing to do with it (other than
size availability). Anyway, brass threads are cool, the polarizer can
get screwed on harder than other filters (it needs to be on tight, so
it doesn't come off when you turn the front of the filter). Brass can
help prevent 'binding' of the filter onto the lens compared to other
metals.

I fully understand what you are saying about the brass threads. I do
way too much work with aluminum. Stronger also. The v3 is a sony
pocket cam. I have a tele attachment that screws on and the only way
to deploy a filter would be between body and tele attachment if it
works w/o degrading things. A strong filter case is a plus.

Multi-coated is cool too. Both features will cost you more. If you are
looking at the cheaper ones, visit the shop and ask to see one. Look
through the filter at an acute angle and see if you are happy with how
bad it looks....

I just assumed that they were coated in this day and age. I should
have thought of that after buying some macro lens and learning those
are not all coated.

Thanks for the advise,

Wes