Recommendations on MF camera w/ built in metering and other requirements..

Old March 17th 04, 12:30 AM
tendim

Default Rolleiflex sites (was Recommendations on MF camera w/ built in metering and other requirements..)

In article YSw5c.16846$Nj.11988@fed1read01,
AArDvarK wrote:

Doesn't the rollieflex system have auxilliary lenses
and prisms? Those also have built-in light meters.
Alex

The Rollei system has always confused the hell out of me. From what I've read
the only consistent thing about it is expensive expensive expensive! I've
read Danny G.'s MF FAQ's but wouldn't mind having more info.

Does anyone know of any good Rollieflex sites?

Cheers,
Patrick
Old March 17th 04, 04:07 AM
AArDvarK

True about the expense ... as far as a built in meter you may
want to study-up on the Bronica SQAi system, 6x6 and 6x4.5
backs, metering prisms, waste level finder, and who know
what else, Bronica's are lighter weight too. You can get a
motor handle for them for carrying around. But no matter
what for your needs, it will be a bit higher than you want to
pay unless you can swing it.

Alex

Old March 17th 04, 04:51 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, tendim posted:

AArDvarK wrote:

Doesn't the rollieflex system have auxilliary lenses
and prisms? Those also have built-in light meters.
Alex

The Rollei system has always confused the hell out of me. From what
I've read the only consistent thing about it is expensive expensive
expensive! I've read Danny G.'s MF FAQ's but wouldn't mind having
more info.

Does anyone know of any good Rollieflex sites?

Sure. You can also ask questions here. Some of us have Rollei systems.

What would you like to know, beyond a confirmation that the Rolleis have
built-in meters, auxilliary lenses and prisms? ;-)

Rollei's web site is about as straight-forward as it gets (USA URL below).
http://www.rollei-usa.com/MF_600x.htm

But that won't help much if you're looking for older equipment. If the
SL66 is of interest, you might start he
http://www.sl66.com/welcome.htm

Some general info, and a FAQ.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Villag...lei/index.html

Neil

Old March 21st 04, 10:40 PM
tendim

In article k,
Peter wrote:
As I've already said, get a metering prism for the RB - you'll get TTL
metering and can have it set in a second or two. That's probably your
cheapest route.

Yes; I was happy to see that Mamiya still makes the RB Pro-SD, who's meter
is compatible with the Pro-S.

IMHO MF photography is not about speed - that's what 35mm is for.

Very true. I've been contemplating this for the past few days, and have
already started weighing the options of upgrading my 35mm system instead
of investing in a new MF; e.g., some faster lenses, possibly AF.

Cheers,
patrick

Peter

Old March 21st 04, 11:34 PM
Raphael Bustin

(Peter) wrote:\n"

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:12 +0000 (W. Europe Standard Time),
(Peter) wrote:

IMHO MF photography is not about speed - that's what 35mm is for.

MF is still *way* faster than LF, and not that much slower
to use than 35 mm -- just scaled up a bit in size, weight and price.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Old April 1st 04, 06:28 PM
Christopher Woodhouse

Wear ear muffs and use a Rollei 6008i

Forget about the 35mm film. It has a 1% spot meter and multispot metering
without having to use a heavy prism. It is about 500g heavier than an
equivalent 'blad. It also has the advantage of some excellent optics, not
only the CZ ones that the 'blad takes, but some exceptional Schneiders too.
I have the 40mm and it is compact and stunning.

On 15/3/04 5:41 am, in article , "tendim"
wrote:

Hello all.

I've beens shooting medium format for about 7 years now, first with a
Yashica 4x4, then with a Mamiya C220, and now with a Mamiya RB Pro-SD.
All of my work was done in the studio, with a light meter and controlled
lighting; my outside work was done with 35mm.

However, I would like to start doing my outside work in medium format
as well. But, the RB is quite the beast to lug around, and I do not want to
be held back by stopping to meter every time I want to make a shot.

Can anyone make some recommendations for MF cameras? I'm not too concerned
with the format; I can edit this down in the darkroom, although I am
partial to the square of 6x6. Things I am looking for a

- Built in light meter
- TTL Flash
- Decent range of lenses, akin to 24/28mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm in
35mm film
- QUIET!

A wish list of items would be:

- Interchangeable prisms/finders
- Interchangeable backs

One of the best things of the C220 was that it was damn quiet; I could
snap pictures in a church without disrupting anyone. The RB isn't even close
to being quiet, with its uber-loud mirror slap. If the "quiet" is obtained
via mirror-lockup, or by using speciality leaf-shutter lenses this is also
fine; as long as for the "popular" lens lenghts (e.g., a wide, a normal)
there exists a leaf-shutter lens, I'm happy.

I've heard that for 6x4.5 the Pentax 645 is the quietest, can anyone verify
this?

I'm not too concerned with interchangeable backs, as I plan on using hte
camera as a "bigger 35mm". This goes for the finder/prism as well; although
the ability to switch between looking down vs. looking "into" the camera
would be nice.

I know that the C220/C330 used to have a metered prism option, but I'm not
sure how reliable these were; and finding one was a problem when I possessed
the camera (3 years ago) and I don't think it's gotten any easier since. And
IIRC it used a funky battery type that wasn't easy to get (I may be mistaken
though).

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Cheers,
Patrick

Old April 1st 04, 06:40 PM
Bob Salomon

In article ,
Christopher Woodhouse wrote:

It is about 500g heavier than an
equivalent 'blad.

Is it? What is the "closest Blad? The one with built in motor drive? One
of the ones with add-on drive?

For a 6x6 camera with built-in drive and meter the closest Blad may way
more decked out with the same features (and include the weight of the
grip).

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old April 1st 04, 08:26 PM
Christopher Woodhouse

I was thinking of the minimum body / back / wlf / lens.

On 1/4/04 6:40 pm, in article
, "Bob Salomon"