Apple camera coming?

Old August 21st 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Apple camera coming?

The rumor mill is warming again to the notion that Apple may be on the
verge of coming out with a P&S camera.

If you go look at dpreview the p&s choices are overwhelming for the
average person trying to find a p&s. So many choices that it's
frustrating and hard to get it right for someone who doesn't understand
the specs.

But if Apple comes along (and in their true marketing whiz-bang way)
makes a product that doesn't need to be understood per se, it's Apple.
Period. And of course it will be an ace at P&S photography and do most
things more than well enough for most people.

People will chuck trying to decide what to buy on dpreview and take the
simple choice. Apple iSnap.

Most interesting is that with iOS there could suddenly be a plethora of
apps for such a phone to enhance what it can do. (As there are many
apps for the iphone that take photos, this would extend to the new Apple
camera).

Make a phone, slap the Apple logo on it with iOS inside with all the
iPad-esque stuff built it (indeed a fast link to the iPad) and people
will just get it and make do. Cue the Apple Reality Distortion Field
commercials and watch everyone else's sales crash.

It's germane to note that Steve Jobs was an amateur photographer and
that per the biography by Issacson, Steve Jobs named photography as one
of three industries that he wanted to transform.

(Apple also produce photo editing s/w, the well regarded Aperture).

Then there's a rumour about an Android driven Nikon...
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/20/fi...x-camera.aspx/

http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/20/should...prosumer-dslr/
I'd discount the "dslr" bit. If it comes from Apple, it'll be a P&S -
and likely a pretty good one.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old August 21st 12, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
isw

In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

The rumor mill is warming again to the notion that Apple may be on the
verge of coming out with a P&S camera.

It won't be their first. The Apple "QuickTake" was introduced in 1994.

Isaac
Old August 21st 12, 09:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

On 21/08/2012 00:52, Alan Browne wrote:

The rumor mill is warming again to the notion that Apple may be on the
verge of coming out with a P&S camera.

Again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old August 21st 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 8/20/2012 4:52 PM, Alan Browne wrote:

snip

Then there's a rumour about an Android driven Nikon...
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/08/20/fi...x-camera.aspx/

"android.process.nikon has stopped unexpectedly"

Old August 21st 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

--
Please reply to: | "We establish no religion in this country, we
pciszek at panix dot com | command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor

Old August 21st 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

On 21/08/2012 18:54, Paul Ciszek wrote:
One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

Yes, they already have that:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

"With iCloud, when you take a photo on one device, it automatically
appears on all your other devices. No syncing. No sending. Your photos
are just there. Everywhere you want them."

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old August 21st 12, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_3_]

On 8/21/2012 1:54 PM, Paul Ciszek wrote:
One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt
the potential market for an actual camera like this is large enough to
entice Apple, though. I suppose they could play up the angle of still
having your vacation photos if your camera falls into the grand canyon
or is stolen on the streets of Bangkok.

Perhaps Apple will buy Lytro.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old August 21st 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
[...]

It looks like the devices in question are iPhones and iPads. What I was
trying to describe was a dedicated camera device, equivalent to compact
superzoom or DSLR, that had cell phone or 4G capability. I also had in
mind the pictures going to a server in another country or countries, so
they could not be confiscated by police, but could be easily retrieved at
any time by the photographer or accomplices.

Old August 21st 12, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

On 21/08/2012 22:42, Paul Ciszek wrote:
In article ,
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
[...]

Also your PC at home, either via the iCloud feature built into the OS
(so you have the photos directly in iPhoto or Aperture) or via a web
interface.

What I was
trying to describe was a dedicated camera device, equivalent to compact
superzoom or DSLR, that had cell phone or 4G capability.

Yes, I did understand that. I just pointed out that they already had the
connectivity side operational and rolled out on a very large scale. All
you need is to add the photo-taking-hardware side of it.

I also had in
mind the pictures going to a server in another country or countries, so
they could not be confiscated by police, but could be easily retrieved at
any time by the photographer or accomplices.

Well, the "cloud" lives on a number of servers all over the place. Not a
specific one, but distributed at any given time over a number of
non-specific servers wherever. Using a single sever is "sooo 20th
century, dear"... ;-) There are other "cloud" products than the one
Apple offers, but I'm sure if it's them selling the device they will
make sure it's tied to their cloud.

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old August 21st 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-08-21 13:54 , Paul Ciszek wrote:
One thing that would be useful for some journalists and activists is
a camera that takes better pictures than a phone camera, and transmits
them (prefereably through a choice of methods, it would be nice to be
able to use conventional cell phone bands where 4G is not available)
to pre-selected destinations where they cannot be confiscated by police
very easily. I suspect iPhones already "have an ap for that". I doubt

There is a "riot app" for that purpose - though I don't recall the
details among them is that photos taken cannot be seen on the phone (if
the bad guys look there is nothing to see). I think they're still on
the phone, just not easy to find for someone who doesn't know where to
look. Not sure if it offloads the images by wireless asap as well, but
that would be a necessary feature.