Absolute beginner needs advivce

Old September 4th 04, 05:41 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Frank Pittel wrote in message ...
jjs wrote:
: "Frank Pittel" wrote in message
: ...

: Does anyone know why these press films got dropped?? It wasn't that long
: ago
: that digital displaced film amoung photojournalists.

: For B&W it was Tri-X, through and through with the exception of some fast
: films for special work.

I thought scarpitti is on record as stating that Tri-X can't be used with a
press camera. Only press films can be used with press cameras. I of course don't
believe it but that's scarpitti's claim and we all know that he's always right.

Tri-X Professional (ISO 320) is NOT a 'press film'. Royal Pan (ISO
400) was. Tri-X Pan (ISO 400) is of course the classic press film for
small formats, but it has never been available in sheet film. Royal
Pan was similar, and it was available in sheets.

Old September 4th 04, 05:42 PM
Michael Scarpitti

jjs wrote:

: "Frank Pittel" wrote in message
: ...
: jjs wrote:
: : What, exactly, is a PRESS FILM? Please spell it out.
:
: I'm still trying to figure out why I need to use a "press" film with a
: "press"
: camera. Is there are reason why Tmax-100, Tmax-400 or even Tri-x wouldn't
: work
: with a "press" camera?

: Well as pointed out earlier, Fuji has put the PRESS hype on one of their
: lines of film. It's all bull.

Does anyone know why these press films got dropped?? It wasn't that long ago
that digital displaced film amoung photojournalists.

When 35mm cameras replaced Graflexes about 30 years ago, the demand
declined significantly.

Old September 4th 04, 05:43 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Frank Pittel wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:
: "jjs" wrote in message ...
: "Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
: om...
: Frank Pittel wrote in message
: ...

: I would rather use a high quality modern film such as Tmax100 or Tmax400
: others
: might prefer Tri-x.
:
: Those are not PRESS FILMS. Press films had certain characteristics
: that made them suitable for that kind of work. Tri-X Pan (ISO 400) is
: similar to the typical press film of the past, but it's not available
: in sheet film.
:
: What, exactly, is a PRESS FILM? Please spell it out.

: It's all about the characteristic curve and double-coating. Press
: films had to have extra latitude to cope with the needs of press work
: with Graflexes and flashbulbs. Exposure was a hit-and-miss affair. All
: you could hope for was 'close' with Al Capone rushing from the
: courtroom. So, press films were double-coated to give more latitude.

How does that differ from any other type of press of "street" photography?

It's a well known fact that your "photography" involves guessing at exposure and
the focus.

Well that's news to me...I suppose my Leicaflex SL2 cannot meter or
focus accurately.

Then those perfectly focussed and exposed negatives happen all by
themselves?

Old September 4th 04, 05:56 PM
jjs

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
om...

When 35mm cameras replaced Graflexes about 30 years ago, the demand
declined significantly.

Aw sheesh, Michael, for all practical purposes the 35mm replaced the
so-called press camera (for newspaper work) almost fifty years ago. By Press
cameras I mean the eye-level rangefinder MF and LF cameras - graflex,
koni-omega, linhof, all of that ilk were pretty much abandoned by 'real'
newspaper people. Sure, some people still used 'em, as well as rolleis and
such, but daily newspaper photographers were 35mm long, long ago.

Old September 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Frank Pittel

: Michael Scarpitti wrote:
: : "jjs" wrote in message ...
: : "Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
: : om...
: : Frank Pittel wrote in message
: : ...
:
: : I would rather use a high quality modern film such as Tmax100 or Tmax400
: : others
: : might prefer Tri-x.
: :
[...]

LOL!!!