Leica M9 and/or R9D in the offing?

Old September 2nd 09, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Leica M9 and/or R9D in the offing?

Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)
Old September 2nd 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Alan Browne wrote:
Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)

It's apparently an M9. IIRC Leica have abandoned the R line.
The M9 might make up for the various technical faults in the M8, but
can't overcome the fundamental deficiency - it's an anachronistic design
bettered by modern designs costing a fraction of the price.
Old September 2nd 09, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Me wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)

It's apparently an M9. IIRC Leica have abandoned the R line.
The M9 might make up for the various technical faults in the M8, but
can't overcome the fundamental deficiency - it's an anachronistic design
bettered by modern designs costing a fraction of the price.

What's that got to do with marketing to deep pockets? Still remains
that the M8, sans AA filter and at a 1.3x crop behind Leica glass takes
exceptionally detailed images.

I'm not sure if the M8 and M8.2 incorporate the same
moire-detection/removal algorithms of the S2 - but the M9 (if that's
what it is) logically would do so. As I said above, this M9 would
likely be FF. Perhaps incorporate anti-shake (a la Minolta/Sony).

I have no idea what kind of installed base of R8/9's are out there with
their associated lenses - could be enough to justify a new body, perhaps.
Old September 2nd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Alan Browne wrote:
Me wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)

It's apparently an M9. IIRC Leica have abandoned the R line.
The M9 might make up for the various technical faults in the M8, but
can't overcome the fundamental deficiency - it's an anachronistic
design bettered by modern designs costing a fraction of the price.

What's that got to do with marketing to deep pockets? Still remains
that the M8, sans AA filter and at a 1.3x crop behind Leica glass takes
exceptionally detailed images.

Marketing what by any rational analysis hugely overpriced products to
the well-heeled doesn't change the facts. The M Leicas are like M class
Mercedes. The M Class Mercedes has an excuse - it was made in the USA.

I'm not sure if the M8 and M8.2 incorporate the same
moire-detection/removal algorithms of the S2 - but the M9 (if that's
what it is) logically would do so. As I said above, this M9 would
likely be FF. Perhaps incorporate anti-shake (a la Minolta/Sony).

It's rumoured to be Fx, 18mp.

I have no idea what kind of installed base of R8/9's are out there with
their associated lenses - could be enough to justify a new body, perhaps.

I've never seen one in the flesh, so I only rely on evidence from others
that the R Leicas even exist.

Old September 2nd 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Alan Browne wrote:
Me wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Me wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
[...]

Probably just an exaggeration. At least there's a chance an M9 might do
what it's supposed to do - take photos.
Old September 3rd 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Miles Bader[_2_]

Alan Browne writes:
I'm not sure if the M8 and M8.2 incorporate the same
moire-detection/removal algorithms of the S2 - but the M9 (if that's
what it is) logically would do so.

I've seen complaints that their "moire-detection/removal" algorithms
don't really work all that well... [as I mentioned in another post, that
isn't really surprising, given that the information is gone by the time
the algorithms get it]

-Miles

--
Future, n. That period of time in which our affairs prosper, our friends
are true and our happiness is assured.
Old September 3rd 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)

There's a rumor floating around about two new Leica cameras, an M9 that a FF
18M rangefinder, and something called the X1 that appears to be a smaller
cam with an APS-C sensor. See link below, believe at your own risk.

http://gizmodo.com/5350721/is-this-t...rious-leica-x1

Old September 7th 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
EMG

"Bowser" wrote in message
. com...

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Leica will announce new things on 09.09.09 @ 0900 (EST).

An M9 to make up for the various deficiencies of the M8?

A new R9? (R9-II? R9D?)

IAC, full frame, I bet (although 1.3x ain't too bad...)

There's a rumor floating around about two new Leica cameras, an M9 that a
FF 18M rangefinder, and something called the X1 that appears to be a
smaller cam with an APS-C sensor. See link below, believe at your own
risk.

http://gizmodo.com/5350721/is-this-t...rious-leica-x1

Yeah, another rumour here too saying 18MP, full frame:
http://www.photographybay.com/2009/09/06/leica-m9/

Old September 7th 09, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:39:51 +0100, "EMG"
wrote:
"Bowser" wrote:
There's a rumor floating around about two new Leica cameras, an M9 that a
FF 18M rangefinder, and something called the X1 that appears to be a
smaller cam with an APS-C sensor. See link below, believe at your own
risk.

http://gizmodo.com/5350721/is-this-t...rious-leica-x1

Yeah, another rumour here too saying 18MP, full frame:
http://www.photographybay.com/2009/09/06/leica-m9/

That's about as accurate a "rumour" as you will find. The M9 is here!
There is a proper infra-red filter over the sensor so no need to use
the annoying "hot mirror" filters on your lenses. There is no
anti-alias filter so Leica M9 users will obtain more detail from their
M9 than any other digital camera with 18 MP, at the expense of a
slight risk of moire fringing, as with the M8.

"Any other digital camera" includes digital cameras with much higher
pixel counts than the M9, even excluding scanning back types, so I doubt
what you say is true.

Leica has chosen to
remain with a CCD sensor to maintain the colour fidelity which was one
of the strongest features of the M8.

Is there one shred of evidence to say that the colour fidelity of CCDs
is better than CMOS?.
If the colour fidelity of CCDs was a reason to use one in the design of
the M8, then how come they missed the big issue with the IR filter,
until they got slammed by users complaining?

There won't be a new Leica R body, not ever. Leica publicly announced
some months ago that development and manufacture of the R Series had
ended. Future Leica DSLRs will be in the S series. The S2 will soon
be available, offering 37.5 MP from its 30mm x 45mm CCD sensor.