Angle of view instead of focal length

Old October 14th 12, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

Default Angle of view instead of focal length

On 14/10/2012 10:50 AM, rwalker wrote:
On Wed, 3 Oct 2012 04:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

That's the culture, I used to think of film speeds in ISO terms as I borought CT18 & CT21 film from agfa.

For years even in the UK our focal lenghs were in mm but before 1971 ???????

Why in the USA do you use mm when everythig else is imperial ?
I'd have thought a 'standard' lens in the US would have a focal lenght of 2 inches NOT 50mmm ;-)

Because we don't use imperial for everything. We use an odd mix.
Perscription drugs, soft drinks, wine and liquour are all sold in
metric units. Lenses are measured in mm. Distances are miles,
weights for most things are in lbs. and ounces, but again for
perscription drugs and other materials, weights are metric. Nuts and
bolts are as likely to be measured in mm. as in inches. Automobile
engine displacement in all modern engines are measured in liters.

And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.
Old October 14th 12, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

wrote:

That's the culture, I used to think of film speeds in ISO terms as I borought CT18 & CT21 film from agfa.

For years even in the UK our focal lenghs were in mm but before 1971 ???????

Why in the USA do you use mm when everythig else is imperial ?
I'd have thought a 'standard' lens in the US would have a focal lenght of 2 inches NOT 50mmm ;-)

Because we don't use imperial for everything. We use an odd mix.
Perscription drugs, soft drinks, wine and liquour are all sold in
metric units. Lenses are measured in mm. Distances are miles,
weights for most things are in lbs. and ounces, but again for
perscription drugs and other materials, weights are metric. Nuts and
bolts are as likely to be measured in mm. as in inches. Automobile
engine displacement in all modern engines are measured in liters.

And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

Right.
And milk is sold by the quart, but wine by the liter. Go figure.
Old October 14th 12, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

....and then there are the 1 & 2 liter bottles of soda.

Savageduck

Old October 14th 12, 09:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

That's the culture, I used to think of film speeds in ISO terms as I borought CT18 & CT21 film from agfa.

For years even in the UK our focal lenghs were in mm but before 1971 ???????

Why in the USA do you use mm when everythig else is imperial ?
I'd have thought a 'standard' lens in the US would have a focal lenght of 2 inches NOT 50mmm ;-)

Because we don't use imperial for everything. We use an odd mix.
Perscription drugs, soft drinks, wine and liquour are all sold in
metric units. Lenses are measured in mm. Distances are miles,
weights for most things are in lbs. and ounces, but again for
perscription drugs and other materials, weights are metric. Nuts and
bolts are as likely to be measured in mm. as in inches. Automobile
engine displacement in all modern engines are measured in liters.

And you sell petrol in real gallons. and not imperial gallons.

I have a number of containers calibrated in real gallons. For some
reason I'm always short-changed when I buy from someone who uses US
gallons.

Eric Stevens
Old October 14th 12, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

wrote:

[...]

Correct but they did change the size of the gallon because they could
not reduce the tax. that was after the English invaded the US.
Old October 14th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I think there was an element of rationalisation. An Imperial gallon of
fresh water weighs 10 lbs which makes 1 Imperial pint weigh 1.25 lbs.
A US gallon weighs 8 lbs which makes 1 US pint weigh 1 lb.

Eric Stevens
Old October 14th 12, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Not if you use fluid ounces. 16 fluid ounces = 1 US pint; 1 US Gallon =
128 fluid ounces, and 1 Imp. Gallon = 153.72159 fluid ounces.

Savageduck

Old October 14th 12, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012.10.14 15:57 , Eric Stevens wrote:

A US gallon weighs 8 lbs which makes 1 US pint weigh 1 lb.

All very nice - but inaccurate.

See http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictG.html

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/ being one of the most useful web
pages for units - current and historical/obscure.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old October 14th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Surely, that's obfuscation since fluid ounces are defined differently.
One fluid ounce (US) is 29.5737 cubic centimeters
One fluid ounce (British) is 28.4130 cc
Eight pints make a gallon in both US and British measure but a pint (US)
is 16 fluid ounces (US) and a British pint is 20 fl. oz (British)

Thus we have 1 US gallon is 3,785.4336 cc and 1 British gallon is
4,546.08 cc.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old October 14th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Can I just add a very important statistic, a standard beer bottle (12
oz) contains 354.88 cc in the US and the British are cheated at 340.96
cc, tho' for a pint of beer (unusual in the US), Americans get 473.18 cc
and British get 568.26 cc.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.