Forensics v. Photoshop

Old September 25th 12, 01:32 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default A Blast from the Past

On 2012-09-25 05:24:31 -0700, philo said:

On 09/24/2012 12:41 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
philo writes:

On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this when I
was a kid.

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/

Great find!

+1

In 1961 that $375 Nikon was probably out of the price range of
just about everyone

In 1969, I bought my first SLR, a Miranda Sensorex, from a local camera
store for $280. The 8 years means the SP wasn't really around any more,
but the price means that I, a highschool freshman working his first job
and being paid minimum wage, *could* have considered going to that level
if it seemed the right thing. (Something from Nikon would in fact have
been a better choice; the Sensorex had some neat aspects, and did fairly
well for me, but I traded it off around four years later for Pentax and
Leica gear, whereas I would have hung on to Nikon I think.)

(The nice thing about having no expenses is that a small income lets you
do quite a lot.)

In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.

Still have the camera

Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 25th 12, 01:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

philo writes:

[...]

....and I still have the Electro35 I bought in 1968.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...tro35-0360.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 25th 12, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Forensics v. Photoshop

John A wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:37:01 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
Eric Stevens wrote:

matter. The question is, can anyone alter the image in such a way that
the fact that it has been altered is indetectable?

Of course someone can.

Change a single pixel in such a way that it's still within it's
typical statistic value range for the true image. Don't do
anything except exchanging the single JPEG block that contains
the pixel (write your own program to do it or do it by hand).

Presto: even having a second photo (with pixel-exact registration)
of the same scene and access to the same scene you cannot detect
the manipulation.

(Of course, the manipulation will not be relevant.)

You can embed a message that way, using the least-significant bits to
encode it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography

Yep --- and if there's then any sort of pattern in the LSB, your
hiding there has failed. Note: Often an encryption or compression
output contains something like a header ...

-Wolfgang
Old September 25th 12, 02:49 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

Savageduck wrote:

Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg

Hah! That must be what people are remembering when they ask me if
my OM-D is a film camera.

Old September 25th 12, 03:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2012-09-24 20:45:49 -0700, PeterN

On 2012-09-24 18:36:01 -0700, PeterN
said:

On 9/24/2012 4:44 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
This is from a couple years before I became really interested in
photography but I could spend hours pouring over stuff like this
when I
was a kid.

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/05/seer...atalogue-1961/

Hi,

Thanks for the memories. That Nikon SP, with 50 mm. F.1.4 lens and
leather case, was $150.- in the European Post Exchanges of the U.S.
Army.

Times sure have changed.

Regards,

Mort Linder

Not really, if you use my hot dog index.
In 1961 a hot dog at Nathans was no more than twenty five cents. It
had just gone up from fifteen cents.

Damn! ...and I still remember 19.9 ¢/gal gas at a Hess station in
Upstate NY in 1971. :-(

Gas prices have exceeded the hot dog index, as have car prices. :-(

In 1969 You could have had a Shelby 427 Cobra for $4200. Today the same
car if intact, would start at $200K+. With a good provenance you will be
looking at $1M+.

See what your $4200 buys you today!

Heck my '37 Cord only cost $1,000. Sure wish I still had it today.

Eat your heart out!
http://db.tt/3sN2nr2E
http://db.tt/kcPzpMfC

You really had to remind me?

the difference between you and a vultu
A vulture would wait until I die, before it eats my heart out.

--
Peter
Old September 25th 12, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-24 20:45:49 -0700, PeterN

On 2012-09-24 18:36:01 -0700, PeterN
said:

On 9/24/2012 4:44 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
[...]

Just to twist the blade a little bit more.
http://db.tt/RYAgaZd2

Savageduck

Old September 25th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
James Silverton[_3_]

On 2012-09-24 20:45:49 -0700, PeterN

On 2012-09-24 18:36:01 -0700, PeterN
said:

On 9/24/2012 4:44 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
[...]

I don't know how you come up with $1000. As far as I know, a new Cord,
in 1937, cost $2600 in dollars of the time and this would be about
$40,000 in present day dollars. I wish people would adjust historic
prices for changes in the CPI.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old September 25th 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-09-24 20:45:49 -0700, PeterN

On 2012-09-24 18:36:01 -0700, PeterN
said:

On 9/24/2012 4:44 PM, Mort wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
[...]

I believe Peter bought his used in the '50's.

Savageduck

Old September 26th 12, 07:48 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
philo

philo writes:

On 09/23/2012 02:29 PM, Russell D. wrote:
This is

snip

In 1970 I was in the Army and through the PX purchased a Pentax with a
50mm lens for $147 I am pretty sure that was a discounted price
but considering I made $249 it was a lot of money.

Still have the camera

Sounds like a familiar story. Could it have been one of these?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg

It was the Spotmatic. It seemed to advanced as it had a built-n light meter!

Old September 26th 12, 01:04 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

philo writes:

[...]

In 1961 I bought my first slr - a Miranda D with interchangable
viewfinders and a 50mm 2,8 preset lens ( got a Miranda 250mm tele a
month later) the cost was ?69 and the lens quality was superb - shutter
speeds only went to 1/500 sec. The focusing screen was user
interchangable but took quite a while and was fiddly. I also purchased
the magnifying viefinder which (if I am right was 1x and 5x depending
on which way your eye piece was). The lens mount was a dual one with
preset lenses using the inner mount and auto lenses using the outer
mount.

--
Neil