San Diego Snow...Self Portraits...and Naps

Old December 20th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark˛

Default San Diego Snow...Self Portraits...and Naps

If you want to capture snow, you need low, angled light.
I discovered that car headlights can offer surprisingly good lighting last
night...

San Diego is known for it's mild weather year-round...but even San Diego's
local mountains can put on their own Winter display from time to time.

Last night at 5:00PM, it was nearly dark, but I decided to just go alone.
Nearing the mountains, the highway police were turning cars away unless they
had a 4-wheel drive vehicle with chains and snow tires.which I had.so they
let me go. To make a long story short.if I had come ˝ hour later, they
wouldn't have let me go, because the roads became too dangerous. I ended up
being one of only a few people up there at all, because they closed the road
completely to others. I'm sure most of you in colder areas know how
slippery ice-covered roads are.but one of the few OTHERS apparently did not
know this, and lost control of their vehicle right in front of me and slid
into a ditch where they became quite stuck. I ended up pulling them out
with my vehicle. The funny thing was, only about one mile farther, I pulled
ANOTHER person out of ANOTHER ditch after they got stuck also. -Sometimes
it's good to have the right vehicle...and a brain (wonder what that's
like...)

Anyway. While there, the snow stopped for a little while, and I spent some
time just lying on the ground on my back.in the middle of the snow.and
staring up at the sky through the tree branches. It was just so peaceful
and perfect there. Cold, but wonderful and perfect.

So these are pictures that I took.

He
The strange yellow in the tree picture was due to the mixture of two
distinctly different light near a cabin.

Snow Bed Nap-time:
Mark˛ wakes up:
And smiles:
More car head-light lighting:
Snow-Plow Ghost:
San Diego Icicles!:

Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old December 20th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

Ah, yes, Sunrise Highway...
The first one puts me in mind of Frank Zappa: "Don't Eat the Yellow Snow!"
Nice shots, Mark!

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com