Pentax K20D or Canon 40D or Canon XSI

Old April 7th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
OldBoy[_2_]

Default Pentax K20D or Canon 40D or Canon XSI

"Focus" wrote in message

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message ...
Focus wrote:
"David J Taylor"

[]
I got the D40 as I don't really need more than 6MP for my work.

Very good for the money indeed. I had it before the D40x and now the
D300. Considering the little difference in money I would now go for
the D60. The MP difference is pretty big and if not for printing, it
still gives advantage for cropping and sharper pics.
I would get it with the 18-135; it gives just enough zoom to keep
going for some time without having to get an new lens. The picture
quality is one of the best in it's price range. Even better then the
more expensive 18-70.

I tend to take quite a lot of telephoto shots, and I find the
in-viewfinder stabilisation from the VR lenses a great help (particularly
at 300mm), so VR is almost a "must" when I get lenses. But you are
right - the 18-135mm is a good general purpose lens, and there is a VR
offering at 18-200mm for those who want just a single lens with VR.

Sure. At focal lenghts longer than 135 I'd want/need VR too.
Until that, I got some VR in my body ;-|) I was a sharp shooter for a few
years with revolver and pistol. The techniques I learned for breathing,
standing, etc. still help me get sharp shots at up to 1/10 sec. without
VR.

Examples?

Old April 7th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Focus

"OldBoy" wrote in message
.. .
"Focus" wrote in message

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message ...
Focus wrote:
"David J Taylor"
[]
[...]

No they were all killed... O, you mean the pictures? See new postings..

--
Focus

Old April 7th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Sherman

Andrew MacPherson wrote:
(Steve Sherman) wrote:

Go to the store and hold them in your hand

I agree. My recent move away from Pentax was made because I wanted
optimum AF performance in action photography. Pentax is improving, but
the AF system -- while great for most uses -- is not trying to compete at
the extreme end of performance.

So if action shots weren't important to me I'd have upgraded my K100D to
a K20D... those extra pixels give a lot of 'crop zoom' for anyone
interested in telephoto work.

Anyway, I spent a long time trying to decide between 40D and D300 for
reasons which probably won't fit in with the OP's remit. However the
clincher for me -- apart from Canon's pricing -- was when I went to a
shop and held both cameras. The 40D's grip felt perfect in my hand...
*far* more comfortable than my K100D, and more natural -- for my hand
anyway -- than the D300. In theory I was only interested with technical
performance, but I had to reluctantly admit that the ergonomics of a tool
will always play a part in the decision.

Having said that, I'm sure I'd have coped perfectly well if I's just
bought one or the other mail order. :-)

Andrew McP

The feel of the camera was very important to me. I wanted a small DSLR,
something about the size of my Nikon FM-2n and FM-3A. The Olympus E-410
seemed to be it.. Then I got to hold of a Canon 30D with a battery grip
and a hand strap. It seems like a monster, but the darn thing just seems
to hang on to you.

Steve