26 Reasons to Choose a P&S Over a DSLR

Old July 12th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
they're blind - right? must be

Default 26 Reasons to Choose a P&S Over a DSLR

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:38:35 GMT, "Fisher*King*"
wrote:

The Painful Truth - Deal With It wrote in
:

P&S cameras

Nothing works better than to have side by side examples of everything that
you state here. Where is the site that shows an independent analysis of a
P&S next to a DSLR? The proof is the examples not in the blather.

Here's one! Well, sort of.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Sorry, it's not a comparision of P&S vs. DSLR. It's a comparison of P&S vs.
Medium Format Hasselblad H2. Experts cannot tell the difference between any
images taken with either.

Yes, P&S cameras can even go head to head against medium-format now. DSLRs
are a pushover, being left in the dust (on their sensors LOL), long ago.

Catch up!

Old July 12th 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ooops Too Late!

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:01:29 -0700, "Jerry Sturdivant"
wrote:

Sorry I’m late for all the name-calling; I have a good list, too.

I just purchased a DSLR because my P&S wasn’t doing it for me. For ME. ME!

The point being, we all have our own reasons and how we like to shoot. I
like to take time pictures for the blur. I can do with the DSLR, what I used
to do in my darkroom and see it right away.

Did you get a DSLR with shutter-speed preview? If not then you can only see
that slow-shutter blur effect after you have taken your shot as you review
it. Nearly all P&S cameras do this in their live-view LCD/EVF viewfinder
BEFORE you even take the shot. Read point #19, you seemed to have missed
it.

I can telephoto and shoot
wildlife remotely. I can change speeds or openings to fit my needs; (speed,
depth of field). And I can change ‘film’ speed without changing film.

I just feel I have more control, and fun.

Oh my dear boy. You are so out of touch with what's capable on good P&S
cameras.

LOL

Now if you want remote shooting of wildlife ... you simply must get a CHDK
supported P&S camera. Built-in motion detection fast enough to capture
lightning strikes. Hell, you can even choose what color-channel that you
want the motion-detection to trigger on. Do you want to capture images of
all the red birds but not the black, yellow or blue birds? No problem.
Remote triggering from any distance that you want with a remote-cable
release made from any length of wire. etc.

Wow are you ever out of touch with what good P&S cameras do these days.

You want "control" and "fun" you say?

Start reading a few of these pages to give you an idea of what you're
missing out on by not using a P&S camera ...

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage/AllBest
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage/MoreBest

Or this (still incomplete) compilation of the above pages that someone put
together, so you can read it and weep in private offline

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/File:CHDK...il_2009_A4.pdf

Jerry (out of control) ‘n Vegas

No, that should be "Jerry (out of touch) 'n Vegas" because you wrongly paid
attention to DSLR-Trolls who know no better, instead of researching the
facts on your own.

Is it too late to take that thing back and get a better P&S? I would, if I
were you. You've just crippled your photo opportunities astronomically with
that DSLR.

Old July 12th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
ray

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:00:22 +0200, Oliver Brose wrote:

ray schrieb:
I'm quite sure there are at least 50, probably 100 reasons to buy a P&S
over a DSLR. And just as many for buying a DSLR over a P&S. The trick
is sorting out the ones that apply to YOU.

Ray, please, so much reason is simply inappropriate

It's my curse. I was born with some of it and then educated as a
mathematician.

A gifted photographer will take good pictures, regardless which hardware
he employs. He will also know his hardware's limits and which to employ
for which job. Possibly he will experiment trying to bend those limits.
Discussing which type of camera is "better" is therefore moot. Rather
find good solutions to people's individual needs and best application of
their individual budgets.

Oliver

Old July 12th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
l v

I could win a fortune betting on these dslr fools wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 00:36:22 -0500, l v wrote:

Ah The Humor wrote:
On 12 Jul 2009 03:03:48 GMT, ray wrote:

I'm quite sure there are at least 50, probably 100 reasons to buy a P&S
over a DSLR. And just as many for buying a DSLR over a P&S. The trick is
sorting out the ones that apply to YOU.
Well, let's not hesitate doing just that. Shall we? Just to be fair.

Reasons to buy a DSLR:

[snip]

blignorance - n. the state of bliss reached and or retained by trying to
remain ignorant through self-imposed distractions, red-herring arguments,
sticking their fingers in their ears and humming a tune, poking their own
eyes out with a newsreader filter, etc.

Yawn!! You've used this too much too.

--
Len
Old July 12th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

The Painful Truth - Deal With It wrote in
m:

P&S cameras

Nothing works better than to have side by side examples of everything that
you state here. Where is the site that shows an independent analysis of a
P&S next to a DSLR? The proof is the examples not in the blather.

Here's one! Well, sort of.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/kidding.shtml

Sorry, it's not a comparision of P&S vs. DSLR. It's a comparison of P&S vs.
Medium Format Hasselblad H2. Experts cannot tell the difference between any
images taken with either.

Yes, P&S cameras can even go head to head against medium-format now. DSLRs
are a pushover, being left in the dust (on their sensors LOL), long ago.

Catch up!

The article showed that experts couldn't tell the difference between a
printed Hasselblad and a printed P&S image when both were downsized to
a specific print size. What was surprising was that that size was
bigger than expected.

Did you actually read the article? Was it too difficult for you to
understand? Or did you hope your readers would be too lazy to check?

--
Chris Malcolm
Old July 12th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Pixel Bandit

wrote:

[...]

I've used wrongly named P&S cameras (actually ZLRs)professionally for
many years. Professional only signifies that the results are sold, not
some measurable degree of hyper-quality.

Any photo I've tried to interpolate to a wall poster from one of these
miniature sensor cameras has failed due to the issues faced when you use
a plastic element lens on an undersized sensor.

The problem with coming out trying to confuse people into thinking these
cameras are something they are not is when you come up against someone
with the evidence that proves a P&S does not produce a very high quality
image for the reasons I mentioned above.

As long as your requirements are in a narrowly defined area, P&S cameras
may be a better choice than a DSLR but produce better quality image? No,
never going to happen.

Old July 12th 09, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
they're blind - right? must be

wrote:

[...]

Did you actually understand the implications? Or are you too daft to
realize that for the VAST majority of all DSLR owners they will do just as
well with any good quality P&S camera. Unless you need the resolution of a
medium-format Hasselblad, then a good P&S camera is all you'll ever really
need. The DSLR has passed its usefulness today, and all the cumbersome
restraints that go along with using that antiquated crap. This is what I've
been trying to let people know for a long time now. But then idiots like
you come along and you still try to justify how much money you wasted on
your piece-of-**** DSLR. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend?

Maybe you should go back and defend the film vs. digital wars. Film is
nearly dead too. Now it's the DSLR's turn to go peacefully into that grave
of antiquity.

"At every crossway on the road that leads to the future, each progressive
spirit is opposed by a thousand fools appointed to guard the past."
Old July 12th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Paul Furman

Oh, and:

IS NOT!

;-)

pbtbtbt!

Old July 12th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

If that's what you mean by "the implications", those "implications"
were not drawn in the cited article, and in order to deduce them from
the observations made in that article a number of extra assumptions
and logical steps must be made. I'm sure you're aware of those, and
aware that they are contentious, since you've been engaged in
long arguments about them for a long time.

I'm well aware of those implications, and I'm well aware that one of
the few places where they're not contentious and disputed is between
your ears.

The DSLR has passed its usefulness today, and all the cumbersome
restraints that go along with using that antiquated crap. This is what I've
been trying to let people know for a long time now. But then idiots like
you come along and you still try to justify how much money you wasted on
your piece-of-**** DSLR. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend?

I didn't waste money on a crap DSLR. My DSLR is better than my P&S in
some respects, which is why I bought it, and inferior to my P&S in
other respects, which is why I will continue to use both, depending on
the photographic circumstances and demands.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old July 13th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
l v

A Glimmer of Hope wrote:

[snip]

Sorry. For purchase only, and only then by people I have personally met and
found that I like. So few qualify to buy my photography, [snip]

There's a surprise. I suspected you don't like many people. I for one,
don't surround myself with a person such as you. Too hateful of the
world.

[snip]

--

Len