Alan Brown shouldn't be running the SI

Old August 11th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Alan Brown shouldn't be running the SI

Since he has some kind of agenda as a cyber bully...

He dissed my first entry to the SI a year ago for no reason that he would say...

I thought the SI was supposed to be fun...

Anyway, I won't be sending anything to that *******s version of the SI, and
probably won't come back here either.

There is nothing to be gained participating in this group, for sure.

Old August 11th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
m II

Annika1980 wrote:

Old grudges are always the best!

Steal any pictures today, thief?

mike
Old August 11th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_6_]

Annika1980 wrote:
On Aug 10, 7:58 pm, wrote:
Since he has some kind of agenda as a cyber bully...

He dissed my first entry to the SI a year ago for no reason that he would say...

I thought the SI was supposed to be fun...

Old grudges are always the best!

You get a lot of them in your neck of the woods I believe. Feuds aren't
they?
Old August 11th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Alan Browne is currently running the SI

Chris H wrote:

What is "SI"?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin -entire gallery of past SI's

Your chance to submit photos for fun and comments.

SI images for the current mandate will be posted at
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/open after Aug 31.

Current mandate is 'open' (any subject you like), 3 photos max,
max dimension is 1200 px wide; 1000 px high; max file size 300 kB.

Due Aug. 31 at this e-meil: si & aliasimages daht com.

Flint (and Dougie) can complain all they like, but whatever they send in
will be posted to the SI (barring obscene, racist or too graphically
violent images or other objectionable content).

They should not complain as their images have been posted in the past.

So Chris, hope to see your entries. Send to:

si & aliasimages daht com.

Cost to participate: 0.

Cost to comment: 0.

Satisfaction: Priceless.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old August 12th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
savvo

On 2008-08-11, Alan Browne wrote:
Chris H wrote:

What is "SI"?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin -entire gallery of past SI's

Your chance to submit photos for fun and comments.

Laudable aims and I'm all for joining in. But a few things put me off.

1. It's all a little confused. The "rulz" (really? What's that about?)
are claimed to live at http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html. The
top of that page says it's the Google cache for
http://si.jlkramer.net/rulz/rulz.htm, but plainly it isn't that but a
scrape of the Google cache of that page. Needs tidying up for
plausibility.

2. http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html says this is the "r.p.e.35mm
- SI". But this is r.p.d.slr-systems. I don't shoot 35mm any more.

3. Like it or not, the "r.p.e.35mm - SI" has become entangled with
aus.photo and its noisier denizens -- look at the way d-mac has brought
his trolls and stalkers in here stinking the place up. Unless and until
the two can be extricated from each other I'm very unwilling to play.

4. How does one get to see the critique on previous rounds' entries? I
can see no comments and if I click the "post a comment" link on any
shot, nothing happens, even when I bypass my privoxy proxy.

5. IME all these critique contests rapidly become popularity contests.
Anonymity is required to keep egos from affecting objectivity.

--
savvo orig. invib. man
Old August 12th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980 wrote:

On Aug 10, 7:58*pm, wrote:
Since he has some kind of agenda as a cyber bully...

He dissed my first entry to the SI a year ago for no reason that he would say...

I thought the SI was supposed to be fun...

Old grudges are always the best!

I won't be back here but I'll keep your pbase page in mind.

Old August 12th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

On 2008-08-11, Alan Browne wrote:
Chris H wrote:

[...]

I believe the mission posters, whether D-mac or other, will have less to
stand [not that I agree with their basic premise] on by placing the bulk
of the SI in rpd. Then I might play, too.

I suggest a notice to all the photog groups, with followup to rpd, not
continual cross posting as we've seen. Esp. as starting as "anew",
keeping it out of rpequip.35 might be very appropriate.

--
john mcwilliams
Old August 12th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2008-08-11, Alan Browne wrote:
Chris H wrote:

What is "SI"?

http://www.pbase.com/shootin -entire gallery of past SI's

Laudable aims and I'm all for joining in. But a few things put me off.

1. It's all a little confused. The "rulz" (really? What's that about?)

In the beginning Lisa Horton designed the SI and it was good. She made
rulz instead of rules such that mere mortals could be flexible and
accommodate many people in their pursuit of photographic happiness.

are claimed to live at http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html. The

They are. Please re-load. In maintenance at present.

top of that page says it's the Google cache for
http://si.jlkramer.net/rulz/rulz.htm, but plainly it isn't that but a
scrape of the Google cache of that page. Needs tidying up for
plausibility.

Take a look then. I just took over the rulz page and just a few minutes
ago tidied it all up. Still some polishing to do but it should be ample
for now. I'll apply creeping elegance over the next while.

2. http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html says this is the "r.p.e.35mm
- SI". But this is r.p.d.slr-systems. I don't shoot 35mm any more.

The (original) host usenet group of the SI is rec.photo.equipment.35mm .

It is not (other than a couple yahoos) digital hostile as most DSLR's
are derived from their 35mm cousins. I will be x-posting announcements
as required including to aus.photo.

3. Like it or not, the "r.p.e.35mm - SI" has become entangled with
aus.photo and its noisier denizens -- look at the way d-mac has brought
his trolls and stalkers in here stinking the place up. Unless and until
the two can be extricated from each other I'm very unwilling to play.

As far as I can tell there are two aus.photo 'nizens who are kicking up
a fuss. One of them who you name above is an active participant in the
SI. He hates my guts and I don't care about his. The other, Noons,
seems to have an overdeveloped sense of right and wrong. Per various
noxious weed manuals it seems that his toxins are quite harmless.

4. How does one get to see the critique on previous rounds' entries? I
can see no comments and if I click the "post a comment" link on any
shot, nothing happens, even when I bypass my privoxy proxy.

Go to Google Groups [ rec.photo.equipment.35mm ] with keywords:

SI shootin shoot-in comments

While pbase.com does host comments for photos, the SI discussions are on
the rpe35mm NG.

Here is a sample:
http://tinyurl.com/5oy5dm

5. IME all these critique contests rapidly become popularity contests.
Anonymity is required to keep egos from affecting objectivity.

Not at all. The first goal of the SI is to get people shooting to a
mandate and posting their images. There is a lot of talking and not
much walking around the NG's, so this gets our butts up and shooting.

While there are a few people with social problems, most of the
participants are quite sane.

May the power of the plonk be with you.

Cheers,
Alan.
SI Admin pro tempore.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Finger my brown hole while poo comes out Chuck Lysaght Digital Photography 0 March 14th 05 06:37 AM
Shades of Brown Robert R Kircher, Jr. Digital Photography 4 February 16th 05 12:43 PM
brown glycin geo In The Darkroom 17 August 23rd 04 12:47 AM
Brown toner Kodak Denis le paparrazzi In The Darkroom 3 February 13th 04 09:20 PM