"PC sync socket" for flash

Old August 30th 04, 12:16 AM
Jeff Edwards

Default "PC sync socket" for flash

Just bought a Voigtlander (Voigtländer) Vitomatic I rangefinder,
originally sold in the very late 1950s and very early 1960s. Several
websites say it has a pc sync socket for flash. A Google search on
"pc sync socket" did not readily reveal whether that term is a
universal standard, permitting me to use any flash described as such
on the camera. Nor did I find any information about whether any and
all inexpensive electronic flashes existed that had such a sync and/or
might work on the camera.

(By the way, I have a flash from the period that was apparently used
with the camera, an Agfalux, but while the 22.5V battery is still sold
by Radio Shack, the #5 flash bulbs are expensive enough to warrant a
CALL! in the price column of the internet's premier flash bulb
supplier. While I might like to try old flash bulbs under limited
circumstances, I'd like to make this a working indoor, as well as
outdoor, camera, at minimum expense. Which rules out flash bulbs.)

Can anyone explain whether I can use any flash unit described as
having a "pc sync socket" on this camera?

Jeff Edwards

(Please do not reply directly to my email address).
Old August 30th 04, 12:39 AM
Nick Zentena

Jeff Edwards wrote:
Just bought a Voigtlander (Voigtl=C3=A4nder) Vitomatic I rangefinder,
originally sold in the very late 1950s and very early 1960s. Several
websites say it has a pc sync socket for flash. A Google search on
"pc sync socket" did not readily reveal whether that term is a
universal standard, permitting me to use any flash described as such
on the camera. Nor did I find any information about whether any and
all inexpensive electronic flashes existed that had such a sync and/or
might work on the camera.
=20

=20
Can anyone explain whether I can use any flash unit described as
having a "pc sync socket" on this camera?
=20

You need a flash that provides a pc sync cable connection. One problem =
is
which connector.=20

http://www.paramountcords.com/

Look at pictures.=20

You should be able to connect any flash. Modern cameras have issues
with high voltage but you won't have to worry about that. Does the camer=
have a cold shoe? Or some other way of mounting the flash? Or do you need
something with a bracket?=20

You mentioned bulbs I think. Does the camera have both a X and a M
connection? You need to use X. M is for bulbs.

Nick

Old August 30th 04, 12:52 AM
Peter Irwin

Jeff Edwards wrote:
Just bought a Voigtlander (Voigtl?nder) Vitomatic I rangefinder,
originally sold in the very late 1950s and very early 1960s. Several
websites say it has a pc sync socket for flash. A Google search on
"pc sync socket" did not readily reveal whether that term is a
universal standard, permitting me to use any flash described as such
on the camera. Nor did I find any information about whether any and
all inexpensive electronic flashes existed that had such a sync and/or
might work on the camera.

The pc (Prontor-Compur) flash connector is a universal standard.
There were a couple of competing standards in the 1950s, but
every camera nowadays uses either a pc socket or a hot shoe connection
or both. Most flashes should have a cable socket on them to which you
can connect a cord with a pc connector. The connector at the
flash end can vary with the flash manufacturer, but the connector
at the camera end is always the same.

You can also get an adaptor with a hot shoe on top which fits into
your camera's "cold" accessory shoe and has a short wire which you
can plug into the pc socket on your shutter. Any large camera
store (and some small ones) should be able to get what you need.
You can enter item #s KAPCHSAQ and HAPCHSA on the B&H photo
website www.bhphotovideo.com if you want to know what they look
like or to order one.

Your camera has a leaf shutter and will sync properly at all
shutter speeds.

Best of luck

Peter.