Traveling with a camera

Old February 7th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Traveling with a camera

F Hansen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

It's not a question of a limited test and policy statement but
physical probability. eg: they tested n samples where there are
millions more 'transactions' occurring. My position was not that it
was common, but that your previous statement (oddly cropped out) above
was not the whole truth.

Cropping text when replying is considered netiquette in my parts, and
the only reason I did so.

That's "irrelevant text".

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 7th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
F Hansen

Alan Browne wrote:
That's "irrelevant text".

My advice would be to adjust your newsreader to 'view as thread' or
something to that effect. In that way the posts themselves show up in
adult attention span intuitively understand the context of each post.
Old February 7th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

F Hansen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
..
That's "irrelevant text".

My advice

.... is not needed.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 7th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:47:39 +1100, "DRS"
wrote:

"F Hansen" wrote in message

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

millions more 'transactions' occurring. My position was not that it
was common, but that your previous statement (oddly cropped out)
above was not the whole truth.

Cropping text when replying is considered netiquette in my parts, and
the only reason I did so.

That is true and I for one wish more than a few people in here would do the
same instead of mindlessly regurgitating ever accumulating quantities of
increasingly irrelevant material. However, part of netiquette is to
indicate that you have snipped, as I have done above.

....alot, contextually, can be lost or altered in a snip. Happens all
the time in journalism when an editor gets hold of any given article,
or, for that matter, the writer choosing facts (and placement thereof)
according to his/her opinion. So, the indicating of a snip is a
courtesy to the reader, and enables investigative backtracking...

cg
Old February 7th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
F Hansen

Charlie Groh wrote:
...alot, contextually, can be lost or altered in a snip. Happens all
the time in journalism when an editor gets hold of any given article,
or, for that matter, the writer choosing facts (and placement thereof)
according to his/her opinion. So, the indicating of a snip is a
courtesy to the reader, and enables investigative backtracking...

That is agreed upon, a snipmark should always be replacing a snip, like
I always do. What is considered irrelevant enough to be snipped must be
a matter of judgement for the writer. But this is just a matter of
courtesy mainly in order to ease the reading. The thread itself will
have to be the context one should revert to if in doubt.
Old February 8th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Groh[_3_]

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 21:23:30 +0100, F Hansen
wrote:

Charlie Groh wrote:
..
...alot, contextually, can be lost or altered in a snip. Happens all
the time in journalism when an editor gets hold of any given article,
or, for that matter, the writer choosing facts (and placement thereof)
according to his/her opinion. So, the indicating of a snip is a
courtesy to the reader, and enables investigative backtracking...

That is agreed upon, a snipmark should always be replacing a snip, like
I always do. What is considered irrelevant enough to be snipped must be
a matter of judgement for the writer. But this is just a matter of
courtesy mainly in order to ease the reading. The thread itself will
have to be the context one should revert to if in doubt.

....sometimes I will snip just to relieve the thread participants (and
myself) of undue scrolling. *Then* a knowing late-comer will be able
to catch up, if you will. Relevance is a tough call, eh?

cg
Old February 8th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DRS

"Charlie Groh" wrote in message

[...]

...sometimes I will snip just to relieve the thread participants (and
myself) of undue scrolling. *Then* a knowing late-comer will be able
to catch up, if you will. Relevance is a tough call, eh?

My rule of thumb is citing no more than the two immediately preceding posts,
and then only what I consider relevant. The two level "rule" seems a good
balance between providing sufficient context without over-quoting.