Camera For Photographing Animals?

Old October 27th 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Si Taylor

Default Camera For Photographing Animals?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:54:03 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

It's hilarious when he gets goaded (despite kill-filing me) into posting
something

I knew it! I knew I'd get him to admit being nothing but a useless troll that
uses everyone in this newsgroup for his own pathetic virtual-photographer,
basement-life, entertainment.

Thanks for playing, FOOL!

LOL

Old October 27th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G[_2_]

"tony cooper" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:24:23 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per (PeteCresswell):
Per Roy G:
So forget about cameras until you know enough about your intended
subjects.

User is somebody else.

Intended subject are dogs that she raises.

After assimilating the combined wisdom in this thread's posts,
it's sounding to me like most-low-end DSLR is probably the way to
go from a purely functional perspective.

But before doing anything, I'm going to lend them my D70 and a
Canon PowerShot SX100 that we also have.

Let 'em try both for awhile... then make a final decision on DSLR
vs P&S.

Probably the best decision you could make. It's the user, not this
group, that should decide what type of camera will work best for them
under the conditions they shoot.

Along with the cameras, give them some advice on how to set up the
pictures. No camera will produce a good picture of a black Lab with
the sun behind it. Little pointers, like setting the focus to single
area instead of closest subject, or continuous focus instead of
autofocus, or burst mode instead of single shot.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Funny you should say that, but my little pointer totally hates being
photographed. He used to run and hide as soon as he saw a camera, but he
now just turns his head away, and refuses to look at anyone holdng a camera.

He is not a true pointer, but is 90% German pointer and 10% some kind of
Spaniel.

Roy G

Old October 28th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 23:02:17 -0000, "Roy G"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

His mother must have been to a wild Oktoberfest party to be 90% German
and 10% other.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 28th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

wrote:

[...]

Until this last para. I thought for a moment you were referring to
something else entirely. My very, very bad.

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 28th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-10-22 10:30:53 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" said:

Can anybody recommend something for photographing animals?

The main problem seems tb that the animal will look this way and
that - faster than one can click the shutter.

I'm thinking burst mode...

Professional wildlife photographers use DSLRs, often in burst mode.
These pros depend on their cameras for their living; they actually know
what they are doing.

The general image quality will be better, too. DSLRs have larger
sensors, allowing photos that have less digital noise and less contrast
-- important in wildlife photography which often is plagued with deep
shadows and sunshine. The point and shoots all blow out highlights and
lose shadows.

It does not hurt to talk to a biologist once in awhile, too. It makes
it easier to predict the behavior of your subject.

There are a few trolls here who will disagree simply to be disruptive.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old October 28th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-10-23 08:28:10 -0700, SMS said:

Jürgen Exner wrote:

In traffic human reaction time for a non-professional driver typically
is about 0.8 seconds. With proper training and attention this can be
reduced to below 0.2 seconds. You need to do the same for photography.

The issue I've seen with wildlife is that they're typically not looking
up. Everyone seems to want face shots, so you have to be really quick
when they finally look up, and they often don't look up for more than a
second or two. With a P&S, by the time you add the shutter lag you've
missed the shot, unless you're really lucky.

I haven't photographed any dogs, but if anything I'd think they'd be
more difficult than bears, wolves, mountain goats, etc.

The alternative is to get lower. The trouble is some animals take
crouching to be a threat. Bears, OTOH, think standing up is a threat.
With dogs, you just have to get down on their level. Tough to do if you
are photographing a Scottie.

Old October 28th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-10-22 10:30:53 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" said:

Can anybody recommend something for photographing animals?

The main problem seems tb that the animal will look this way and
that - faster than one can click the shutter.

I'm thinking burst mode...

One other note on photographing animals. Animal fur is highly
reflective and often creates a blue cast on the image. Using a
polarizing filter helps with that a great deal.

Old October 28th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
G.Adams

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:55:08 -0700, C J Campbell

On 2008-10-22 10:30:53 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" said:

Can anybody recommend something for photographing animals?

The main problem seems tb that the animal will look this way and
that - faster than one can click the shutter.

I'm thinking burst mode...

Professional wildlife photographers use DSLRs, often in burst mode.

Not all of them do, and none of them that I know personally do. The ones I know
need to travel as light as possible to get into those remote areas where the
animals live. DSLRs are reserved for those who like to take snapshots at their
local zoo or when they step out of the car while on a canned tourist-trap
adventure. When together and challenging each other we often use the fact that
they had to use burst mode as a way to tease them for not being a very good
photographer. If you can't predict when to take that shot and get it in one
shot, you're a lowly amateur. At least amongst the pros that I shoot with. Your
pros must not be as experienced nor talented.

These pros depend on their cameras for their living; they actually know
what they are doing.

Yeah, right, you keep telling yourself that. :-)

The general image quality will be better, too.

Not always. I have 2 P&S cameras that easily beat or compare to the image
quality of most any DSLR.

DSLRs have larger
sensors, allowing photos that have less digital noise

Depends on the ISO used. I grew up on ASA25, ASA64. I'm not so inept that I must
depend on high ISOs for my shots. My P&S cameras have longer zoom at wider
apertures than are available for any DSLRs. No need for high ISOs when you have
the right lens and equipment, and talent.

and less contrast

Then explain why one of my P&S 1/2.5" sensor cameras has a 10.3EV dynamic range,
more than most any APS-C sized sensor being made.

Do yourself and everyone a favor, educate yourself to facts, not urban legends
and parroted net-myths that are perpetuated by ignorant net-trolls like
yourself.

-- important in wildlife photography which often is plagued with deep
shadows and sunshine. The point and shoots all blow out highlights and
lose shadows.

You must not know much about photography or how to buy the right cameras.

Pity.

It does not hurt to talk to a biologist once in awhile, too. It makes
it easier to predict the behavior of your subject.

How often people like me would have to share my photography and videos with
those biologists, to show as proof that they've been doing nothing but telling
others misinformation all their lives. Information that they learned from books,
not from real life. Heh, funny, just last night I took an infrared photo of a
wild gray-fox, a wild opossum and one of her young, and a wild raccoon all
eating off the same small plate at the same time. Most any biologist in the
world is going to tell you that that wouldn't happen in nature. Species that
different are not going to ever dine together, and especially not one of them
with an immature young one like that. And yet, I have a photo to prove it. Funny
that.

Yeah, right, talk to "biologists" to get your facts, that'll help. :-)

How's that saying go?

"If I had read as many books as other men, I should have been as ignorant as
they are." - Thomas Hobbes

There are a few trolls here who will disagree simply to be disruptive.

And there are the usual resident-trolls that just parrot what they've read on
the internet without having any real-life experience. They usually reveal
themselves by knowing nothing about the huge advantages of P&S cameras for doing
wildlife photography and instead blindly and ignorantly tell everyone that you
need a DSLR for that. That is, after all, the only thing they've ever heard on
the net from other trolls like themselves all their lives. How would they know
any different. Excusable but by no means should it go uncorrected by someone
that knows more than they ever will.

Old October 28th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:33:37 -0500, G.Adams wrote:

How often people like me would have to share my photography and videos with
those biologists, to show as proof that they've been doing nothing but telling
others misinformation all their lives. Information that they learned from books,
not from real life. Heh, funny, just last night I took an infrared photo of a
wild gray-fox, a wild opossum and one of her young, and a wild raccoon all
eating off the same small plate at the same time. Most any biologist in the
world is going to tell you that that wouldn't happen in nature. Species that
different are not going to ever dine together, and especially not one of them
with an immature young one like that. And yet, I have a photo to prove it. Funny
that.

Where do these posters come from? A few days ago it was a Florida
panther photographed devouring a wild boar, and today its a fox, an
opossum, and a raccoon sharing a bowl.

Fantastic photographs, but no links to give credence to the claim. If
I could capture a Florida panther, even at a distance, on an SD card,
you can bet I'd post the link here. Fantastic imagination is more
like it.

I have seen a Florida panther in the wild, but I was driving down the
Florida toll road about dusk and caught a mere glimpse of the animal
loping off into the brush. I was sure enough that it *was* a panther
to make the claim, but no way could I have stopped the car and taken a
picture. There are only about 50 to 80 wild panthers remaining in
Florida.

I've also seen a wild boar, but I was too busy moving out of her way
to think about a photograph even if I had my camera with me. She was
with her family, and no unarmed person familiar with mother wild boars
asks one to pose.

The Florida panther is a small animal compared to what most people
think of when they think of "panther". Kipling's "Bagheera" is a
giant compared to the Florida panther according to the illustrations.
The wild boar, on the other hand, is bigger, fiercer, and far more
dangerous than a Florida panther. I think it would be the boar
devouring the panther in a match-up.

Raccoons, opossum, and armadillos (especially flattened ones on the
road) are easy to photograph in Florida. Here's one shot with a D40,
but a P&S would have done as well:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...13/raccoon.jpg Not a
brag shot because of that Spanish Moss behind the animal that looks
like a clump of gray.

Fox are more difficult subjects. They're around, but usually spotted
around dusk and just on the edge of an open area. The lighting is
bad, and they usually spot you first.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 28th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mcdonaldREMOVE [email protected]

G.Adams wrote:

And there are the usual resident-trolls that just parrot what they've read on
the internet without having any real-life experience. They usually reveal
themselves by knowing nothing about the huge advantages of P&S cameras for doing
wildlife photography and instead blindly and ignorantly tell everyone that you
need a DSLR for that.

OK ... I've never been very good a high-grade wildlife photography,
perhaps because I've always used an SLR or later, a DSLR. Oops ...
one of the best wildlife photos I ever made ... of a very mad rhino ...
was made by a 4x5 sheet film rangefinder camera.

If a P&S is so much better, SHOW US THE SHOTS YOU'VE MADE WITH
ONE, with EXIF data.

All else is BS.

Doug McDonald