Newbie says hello

Old March 15th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
kopite64

Default Newbie says hello

Hello Ladies and Gents

1st post just thought I would say hello, having enjoyed reading the
historical posts for a few weeks now, while searching for a reasonably
priced entry in the world of Medium Format photography. Straight from
a digital compact I was lookingfor something to get to grips with then
make a decision about upgrading later.

Then today I had a fantastic piece of luck a local retiree who is
moving to smaller accomodation has put his entire camera/darkroom
equipment collection up for sale. I was told it included a mint,
unused Yashica Mat 124G!

So with the usual "yes okay mint and unused" suspicions I went around
and have not stopped smiling since.

A genuine 124G MINT UNUSED the leather case is gleaming not even a
fingerprint in site the battery had never been fitted. The meter
worked first time I popped the battery in and the shutter sounds sweet
across all speeds it is so nice the wife said but it in the display
cabinet and do not use it! Thats how good it looks. It cost me £90
about $165 I cannot believe my luck. The guy explained he won the
Yashica Mat with some pictures taken with his Pentax 6X7 and never
felt the need to try it.

So what shall I load up with for my first test shots? I am planning to
do some local architecture/landscape and some informal portraiture of
my kids.

Which film will blow me away?

I was thinking of maybe Fuji Neopan Across 100. Any suggestions as to
what I should christen it with?

Looking forward to the chat and sharing my experiences with this new
old camera.

Cheers Paul.

Old March 15th 07, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Paul,

You'll love your Yashicamat. Years ago I bought and used one nearly to its
death. Fine camera, and at the time none a better "value for money" as you
Brits put it.

Lots of good films out there. Don't know the Fuji line, but I still shoot
Ilford FP5--which is black and white, of course.

In truth, all the name brand films are good, and I suspect indistinguishable
for anything less than the true techie.

But do stop and think for a minute: will ANY film "blow you away?" Or will
any film DO just fine to make pictures that will blow you away?

Enjoy your new tools, and welcome to MF.

Dick Behan
Lopez Island, Washington, USA

oups.com...

Old March 15th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Noons

On Mar 15, 12:41 pm, "kopite64" wrote:

about $165 I cannot believe my luck. The guy explained he won the
Yashica Mat with some pictures taken with his Pentax 6X7 and never
felt the need to try it.

great find, Paul

So what shall I load up with for my first test shots? I am planning to
do some local architecture/landscape and some informal portraiture of
my kids.

definitely the kids. for the rest I'd prefer other gear.
but then again I'm weird, so do whatever pleases you!

Which film will blow me away?

I was thinking of maybe Fuji Neopan Across 100. Any suggestions as to
what I should christen it with?

I'm currently having a lot of fun with
Delta400. And XP2: it has a very smooth
gradation of greys, ideal for metal.
click on image to zoom-in to xp2:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...qh=sort%3Atime
and d400 examples:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...qh=sort%3Atime
http://members.iinet.net.au/~nsouto/...ohn/meal01.jpg

above all: have a lot of fun.
that's what b&w film is all about!

Old March 16th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
kopite64

click on image to zoom-in to xp2:http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...y%3Awizofoz2k+...
and d400 examples:http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...ohn/meal01.jpg

above all: have a lot of fun.
that's what b&w film is all about!

Thanks for the encouragement guys I cannot wait for the weekend
although the forecast is looking a bit bleak -6oC and heavy snow
windchill of about -14oC. I think some cosy indoor family portraiture
may be called for!

Thanks for the examples Noons the XP2 does indeed look smooth and so
detailed I love the contrast between the new sculpture and the older
building the shot is framed beautifully too.

I must admit I was really suprised with the delta 400 examples punchy
images just the kind of result I am hoping for. I think you have hit
the nail on the head though I intend to have to experiment and try
lots of different film till I find the ones that i personally like.
Will post some of my first efforts soon.

Old March 16th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
R.W. Behan

Hey, Mike,
Thanks for the headsup about APUG. Just signed up. Looks like a great
resource (support group?).
Cheers,
Dick

news

Old March 17th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mike

Yes, a support group might be a more accurate description!

I love APUG...I was leary at first, but the community is great. People
are *very* friendly. I met someone who lives just a
few miles away from me because I asked a question about enlarger
alignment. Turns out he had a nice tool and let me borrow it.

And I see kopite64 has joined too. Great!

--Mike

Hey, Mike,
Thanks for the headsup about APUG. Just signed up. Looks like a great
resource (support group?).
Cheers,
Dick

news

Old March 18th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

On 15 Mar, 02:41, "kopite64" wrote:
[...]

Actually, I'd sell it on to a collector if it is genuinely unuseds
because as soon as you use it it will lose 30% of its value.

Old March 18th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Craig Schroeder

Congratulations! I started with Yashica D and had a couple of 124G's.
Those old images still look great to my eye and I predict you'll have
many enjoyable times with the camera. I think you'll find that films
such as HP5+, Neopan 400 and Tri-X will print very smooth in medium
format at reasonable enlargement ratios. I seem to struggle more with
the "new" emulsions such as the Delta series and T-Max family but
others swear by them and get excellent results. Your lens is sharpest
at f8 and up and the 400's will allow easier shutter speeds for
general duty as you're feeling out the camera, I'm guessing.

Once you get accustomed to the reverse orientation of the viewfinder,
you'll come to appreciate the taking angle for kid and pet pictures.
Don't get too frustrated early on as it will get much more natural
feeling for you. The fact that you don't have an slr mirror slap,
etc., you should be able to use a light duty tripod with success, too.
Enjoy!

On 14 Mar 2007 18:41:45 -0700, "kopite64"
wrote:

Hello Ladies and Gents

1st post just thought I would say hello, having enjoyed reading the
historical posts for a few weeks now, while searching for a reasonably
priced entry in the world of Medium Format photography. Straight from
a digital compact I was lookingfor something to get to grips with then
make a decision about upgrading later.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com

Newbie here jewel Digital Photography 8 August 2nd 06 01:59 PM
Newbie: Please help Bob Mckenzie Digital Photography 8 February 7th 05 04:09 AM
newbie Tobyruffles Digital Photography 7 October 31st 04 11:49 AM
Newbie looking for help. Chuck Digital Photography 1 October 2nd 04 09:00 PM
Help a newbie out please Armand Other Photographic Equipment 2 October 20th 03 12:12 AM