Example of how people get scammed on Ebay

Old April 16th 21, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Example of how people get scammed on Ebay

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:08:30 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Same photos, same low price, one in Brazil, one in Mexico. Zero feedback accounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...QAAOSw1GJgdKc6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...IAAOSwNpRgcweW

I'm not familiar with Ebay but as far as I can see both cameras come
from the same Brooklyn site. How can you tell otherwise?

Eric Stevens
Old April 16th 21, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Same photos, same low price, one in Brazil, one in Mexico. Zero feedback
accounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...y/284255178583

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...s/144004765849

I'm not familiar with Ebay

clearly.

but as far as I can see both cameras come
from the same Brooklyn site. How can you tell otherwise?

look again.

the first is from brazil and the second is from mexico. both sellers
joined ebay last week. the description text is the same for both, other
than one using line breaks.

it screams scam.
Old April 16th 21, 11:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 21:34:32 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Same photos, same low price, one in Brazil, one in Mexico. Zero feedback
accounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...y/284255178583

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...s/144004765849

I'm not familiar with Ebay

clearly.

but as far as I can see both cameras come
from the same Brooklyn site. How can you tell otherwise?

look again.

the first is from brazil and the second is from mexico. both sellers
joined ebay last week. the description text is the same for both, other
than one using line breaks.

it screams scam.

Thank you for your most helpful advice. Neither I or CtrlF can find
the word Brazil or Mexico on that page. Nor does my poking around the
corners of those pages. What I did find was the cameras were being:-

"Sold By
redtagcamera(76483)
100% Positive feedback"

.... and:-

"Based in United States, redtagcamera has been an eBay member since
Aug 27, 2007"

If nospam won't help me can anyone else tell me where the
advertisements say anything about Brazil or Mexico?

Eric Stevens
Old April 16th 21, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Eric Stevens wrote:

nospam:
In article , Eric
Stevens

RichA:
Same photos, same low price, one in Brazil, one in Mexico.
Zero feedback accounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...-Camera-Black-

Body-Only/284255178583

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Nikon-Z6-24-5MP-

Mirrorless/144004765849

Eric Stevens:
I'm not familiar with Ebay

nospam:
clearly.

Eric Stevens:
[...]

The listings has ended, you have to click "see original item" to go to the
listing. Here are the URLs to each original page:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko.../144004765849?
_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc &orig_cvip=true

Seller: chrita_1686
Location: San Luis, Mexico

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...ack-Body-Only-
/284255178583?
_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc &orig_cvip=true

Seller: robdan-8830
Location: Salvador, Brazil

--
Sandman
Old April 16th 21, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 21:34:32 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Same photos, same low price, one in Brazil, one in Mexico. Zero feedback
accounts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...a-Black-Body-O
nly/284255178583

[...]

you missed the 'listing has ended', 'view original item' and 'we found
something similar' text, all in large bolded text at the top of the
page.

you also missed that the feedback of what you listed, 76483, does not
match the zero feedback described in the post, further indicating you
weren't looking at the original listing.

you should also consider corrective lenses and/or text-to-speech. being
unable to read large bold text is a very serious problem.
Old April 17th 21, 01:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 16 Apr 2021 11:10:05 GMT, Sandman wrote:

[...]

Aah! Thank you. I'm glad to see you are still around and watching.

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

The village idiot could have told me that but chose not to.

Once again, thank you.

Eric Stevens
Old April 17th 21, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

and next to it is a big button, 'show original listing'.

another clue is the description of the original item did not match the
listing you saw.

it's not complicated.
Old April 17th 21, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 20:46:01 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

and next to it is a big button, 'show original listing'.

Which produces
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...orig_cvip=true

another clue is the description of the original item did not match the
listing you saw.

it's not complicated.

But you seem to have been unable to distinguish the difference between
"The listing you're looking for has ended." and what I wrote (as
above) "The listing has ended". Count the words. The two strings are
different. You weren't properly following what I wrote.

Eric Stevens
Old April 17th 21, 04:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

and next to it is a big button, 'show original listing'.

Which produces

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...-Body-Only-/28
4255178583?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt =true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

another clue is the description of the original item did not match the
listing you saw.

it's not complicated.

But you seem to have been unable to distinguish the difference between
"The listing you're looking for has ended." and what I wrote (as
above) "The listing has ended". Count the words. The two strings are
different. You weren't properly following what I wrote.

i'm not the one having trouble.

*you* are the one who is not following what ebay wrote, which is why
you failed to find the proper item and *still* don't understand how it
all works.

in addition to the 'the listing you're looking for has ended' text is
also a 'show original listing' button to the right, both of which are
*inside* a banner (another clue).

below that banner is large bold text that states 'we found something
similar' along with a similar item, plus a few more below that.

guess what all of that means.

after clicking on the original listing button, which you eventually
claimed to have done, the text at the top will change to say the
listing has ended because you're now looking at a *different* listing,
in this case, the original listing which already ended and is no longer
accepting bids.

yet another clue is that the original listing shows the location of the
seller as the same as the location mentioned in the original post here.

it's not complicated.

once again you screwed up and are blaming everything other than
yourself, what you normally do.
Old April 17th 21, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Sandman:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camera-Niko...MP-Mirrorless-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Z6-24...ra-Black-Body-

Only-
/284255178583?
_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc &orig_cvip=true

Seller: robdan-8830
Location: Salvador, Brazil

Aah! Thank you. I'm glad to see you are still around and watching.

Well, more or less, some bug in parsing had made rpd unavailable to me a
while back so I removed it from my feed, and then I wondered why there
weren't any new posts, so I fixed it

There is the problem. When I click on 'See the original item' I see
"The listing has ended".

The village idiot could have told me that but chose not to.

Once again, thank you.

No problem, Ebay is pretty stupid to show *another* similar listing when you
click on a listing that has ended, especially displaying it so prominently.
What it should do is show the top "the item has ended" info, and then smaller
links to similar items, not an entire listing, makes you think that's what
the link goes to.

--
Sandman