ADVICE! Big Sur: Read this before upgrading

Old November 12th 20, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
David_B

Default Apple ARM

On 12/11/2020 18:08, newshound wrote:
On 12/11/2020 13:46, David_B wrote:
On 12/11/2020 11:34, newshound wrote:
On 11/11/2020 22:59, David_B wrote:
On 11/11/2020 21:02, newshound wrote:
Hope you are right about that, just ordered an Air with new silicon
as a Christmas present for the wife :-)

I've just done likewise! :-D

Are you expecting it to be delivered already loaded with Big Sur?

Don't know, didn't think about it. Her use will be *very* light, if
she runs into significant problems it will go back.

May I ask what you mean by "it will go back"?

As far as I'm aware, there's no "try before you buy" with Apple products!

I note what Jamie said. That is exactly what I had thought, and the
principal reason I chose to buy now!

Distance selling regs, if my wife can't get it working.

I confess - I was unaware of them! ;-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...ng-regulations
Old November 12th 20, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
D.M. Procida

geoff wrote:

Yes, and Apple's appears to be particularly (the most ?) effective,
engendering generations of adherents many of whom automatically purchase
the next version of Apple anything/everything.

Works for me!

Daniele
Old November 13th 20, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Arlen Holder

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 16:21:29 -0500, nospam wrote:

other than your 'disciples' comment, that's what advertising is
supposed to do, regardless of company.

IMHO, Apple has the finest MARKETING organization on this planet!
o What is the most brilliant marketing move Apple ever made?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/wW-fu0jsvAU

But bear in mind Apple has the _lowest_ R&D, bar none, in all high tech:
o Does it surprise you Apple spends less in R&D than similar tech companies?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/STrAkx09VYk

That's a fact the apologists hate - but it's _still_ a fact nonetheless.
o *Nobody in high tech has a _lower_ R&D spend % than does Apple.*

Nobody.
--
Nobody on this planet can find a high tech company with lower R&D spend
than Apple (smaller companies than Apple have higher total R&D spend!).
Old November 13th 20, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2020-11-12 16:26, geoff wrote:

Yes, and Apple's appears to be particularly (the most ?) effective,
engendering generations of adherents many of whom automatically purchase
the next version of Apple anything/everything.

Tripe, sub-genre utter.

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."
Old November 14th 20, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Arlen Holder

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 05:41:18 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave wrote:

As usual your facts are lies. Like the best way of testing a phone is via it's camera.
DXO don't seem to spend much on R&D they just accept 'donations" from companies in order they can produce 'test results'

It's interesting that the Type III apologists are always the ones calling
all facts lies, even when Steve Jobs himself was quoted explaining why
Apple R&D is the lowest in the industry (Steve Jobs was proud of that fact
that Apple spent almost nothing on R&D as a percentage of revenue!).
o https://g.foolcdn.com/editorial/images/571530/aapl-rd-perc.png

What's also interesting is how Whisky-Dave, a known Type III apologist
proves that he doesn't even know what a _percentage_ is for Christs' sake.

Apologists always prove to be shockingly ignorant, as Whisky-Dave just did.
o All apologists know is what Apple MARKETING feeds them to believe.

None of them appear to comprehend even something as simple as a "%".

Here are the numbers from 2018, for example, of R&D to Sales:
o Intel 21.2% (spending of 13,098 $M)
o Qualcomm 20.2% (i.e., R&D spending of 3,450 $M)
o Broadcom 19.2% (i.e., R&D spending of 3,423 $M)
o Samsung 5.2% (i.e., R&D spending of 3,415 $M)
o Toshiba 20.0% (i.e., R&D spending of 2,670 $M)
o TSMC 8.3% (i.e., R&D spending of 2,656 $M)
o MediaTek 24.0% (i.e., R&D spending of 1,881 $M)
o Micron 7.5% (i.e., R&D spending of 1,802 $M)
o Nvidia 19.1% (i.e., R&D spending of 1,797 $M)
o Sk Kynix 6.5% (i.e., R&D spending of 1,729 $M)
https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/521302-2018-02/

Note, just like with camera quality of results, Apple doesn't even make the
top ten!

What's petrifying is how ungodly ignorant these Type III apologists are.
o None of these apologists could last a week in the Silicon Valley
always being dead wrong on everything, as Whisky-Dave just showed.

o Why Apple Inc. Spends Less On Research And Development Than You Think
https://www.ibtimes.com/why-apple-inc-spends-less-research-development-you-think-1954667
Old November 14th 20, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Jaimie Vandenbergh[_2_]

On 14 Nov 2020 at 01:13:37 GMT, " Arlen Holder"
wrote:

o Why Apple Inc. Spends Less On Research And Development Than You Think

And yet, somehow, Apple have popped up with a CPU that has faster single
core than *anything* from Intel or AMD. On a straight line graph against
Intel's showing for the past six years.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226...14-deep-dive/4

In the meantime, I guess I'll just killfile you. Enjoy your hateboi
lifestyle, I'm sure it's fun and worthwhile pushing such energy into
this purposeless bitterness.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do."
-- Steven Brust

Old November 14th 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Arlen Holder

On 14 Nov 2020 02:57:38 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

And yet, somehow, Apple have popped up with a CPU that has faster single
core than *anything* from Intel or AMD. On a straight line graph against
Intel's showing for the past six years.

Is this you again, Alan Baker, playing your infantile games?
o You TYPE III apologists _hate_ the mere bearer of mere facts about Apple.

What good is a CPU that has to be throttled to half in about a year?
o Just to remain stable?

Worse, what good is a CPU hackers stopped accepting zero-day flaws on?
o You do realize almost every CPU from Apple is fatally flawed, right?

o Which Apple CPUs, bootroms, & SEP secure enclave coprocessors do NOT already have well-known unpatchable fatal design flaws?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/6WKS9KpSyJA

In the meantime, I guess I'll just killfile you. Enjoy your hateboi
lifestyle, I'm sure it's fun and worthwhile pushing such energy into
this purposeless bitterness.

What you Type III apologists all hate - are people bearing facts.
o You apologists have only 7 responses to facts - none of them adult

o What are the common well-verified psychological traits of the Apple Apologists on this newsgroup?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/18ARDsEOPzM
Old November 14th 20, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
D.M. Procida

Arlen Holder wrote:

the Type III apologists

Which kind are the best? I want to be the best kind.

Daniele
Old November 14th 20, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Scott Schuckert

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:

Arlen Holder wrote:

the Type III apologists

Which kind are the best? I want to be the best kind.

Daniele

Me too! Is there a survey I should fill out?
Old November 14th 20, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.comp.sys.mac
Arlen Holder

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 06:57:24 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:

Arlen Holder wrote:

the Type III apologists

Which kind are the best? I want to be the best kind.

Daniele

Me too! Is there a survey I should fill out?

Three types of childish Apple Apologists:
o Type I === Actually know the facts; yet always incessantly parrot MARKETING bull**** (e.g., nospam)
o Type II === Believe MARKETING bull****; but never seem to check their facts (e.g., SavageDuck)
o Type III === Dunning-Kruger Quadrant 1 Self-identify with Apple MARKETING bull**** (e.g., Lewis)

Pick one.