Non OEM Battery

Old January 26th 16, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

Default Non OEM Battery

The almost four year old non-OEM battery for my Canon G1-X is now at the
end of it's life.

Though the battery that came with the camera is still good, considering
the non-OEM battery was 1/4th the price I just bought another. It was
higher capacity than the original and to me well worth it.

As someone who was in the (lead-acid) battery business, I know that to
produce a higher capacity battery within a given physical dimension, the
total surface area of the plates must be increased. Making them thinner
gives more surface area but longevity is sacrificed.

Four years for ten bucks was not a bad bargain though.
Old January 26th 16, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/26/2016 10:51 AM, philo wrote:
The almost four year old non-OEM battery for my Canon G1-X is now at the
end of it's life.

Though the battery that came with the camera is still good, considering
the non-OEM battery was 1/4th the price I just bought another. It was
higher capacity than the original and to me well worth it.

As someone who was in the (lead-acid) battery business, I know that to
produce a higher capacity battery within a given physical dimension, the
total surface area of the plates must be increased. Making them thinner
gives more surface area but longevity is sacrificed.

Four years for ten bucks was not a bad bargain though.

I will refrain from giving advice. Hope your next $10 battery does as well.

--
PeterN
Old January 26th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 01/26/2016 10:45 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 1/26/2016 10:51 AM, philo wrote:
The almost four year old non-OEM battery for my Canon G1-X is now at the
end of it's life.

Though the battery that came with the camera is still good, considering
the non-OEM battery was 1/4th the price I just bought another. It was
higher capacity than the original and to me well worth it.

As someone who was in the (lead-acid) battery business, I know that to
produce a higher capacity battery within a given physical dimension, the
total surface area of the plates must be increased. Making them thinner
gives more surface area but longevity is sacrificed.

Four years for ten bucks was not a bad bargain though.

I will refrain from giving advice. Hope your next $10 battery does as well.

The first one was also ten bucks. Since I always bring a spare with me
to any photo shoot...not a huge gamble.

BTW: The battery did not fail outright, it simply has noticeably less
capacity.
Old January 26th 16, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 1/26/2016 11:58 AM, philo wrote:
[...]

Which is typical.

--
PeterN
Old January 26th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo
wrote:

The almost four year old non-OEM battery for my Canon G1-X is now at the
end of it's life.

Though the battery that came with the camera is still good, considering
the non-OEM battery was 1/4th the price I just bought another. It was
higher capacity than the original and to me well worth it.

the claimed rating for aftermarket batteries is not always correct.

As someone who was in the (lead-acid) battery business, I know that to
produce a higher capacity battery within a given physical dimension, the
total surface area of the plates must be increased. Making them thinner
gives more surface area but longevity is sacrificed.

construction of lead acid batteries and lithium ion batteries are two
very different things.

while there are some quality aftermarket batteries, many are crappy
ones. the latter generally have less capacity than what's claimed and
more importantly, less safety protections, which is the main way that
they reduce the cost.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/26/n...m-knockoff-bat
teries/

Four years for ten bucks was not a bad bargain though.

unless it explodes or otherwise damages the camera or other device.
Old January 27th 16, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

In article , philo
wrote:

The almost four year old non-OEM battery for my Canon G1-X is now at the
end of it's life.

Though the battery that came with the camera is still good, considering
the non-OEM battery was 1/4th the price I just bought another. It was
higher capacity than the original and to me well worth it.

As someone who was in the (lead-acid) battery business, I know that to
produce a higher capacity battery within a given physical dimension, the
total surface area of the plates must be increased. Making them thinner
gives more surface area but longevity is sacrificed.

Four years for ten bucks was not a bad bargain though.

LiPo lifespan is generally not good. The primary concern with LiPo
batteries is them exploding. The materials need to be pure and all of
the safety components must be in place - limit circuit, thermally
sensitive membrane, pressure relief, and puncture resistance. As long
as you have a reputable brand and it's not counterfeit, you should be
fine.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Old January 27th 16, 02:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 1/26/2016 10:43 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

[...]

I make a habit of buying what I consider to be good quality 3rd party
batteries from SterlingTek and Wasabi. I've also got an Energizer and
two Maxell NP-400 batteries that have worked very well. I've never had
an issue with any 3rd party battery.
Old January 27th 16, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 01/26/2016 09:43 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
In article , philo
wrote:

[...]

The battery I purchased was Xit

it got 3.7 out of five stars an an Amazon review
Old January 27th 16, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

If Whisky_Dave had written that, I would likely take a different
meaning. :-)

Old January 28th 16, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kevin McMurtrie[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

It appears that Xit only does rebranding and redistribution of
miscellaneous products. Good luck.